HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:13 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,158 Posts
Discussion
***Un-Civil War 11/7/2009*** Be There or Be Square!!!!

WE TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU TO FIGHT WITH US!!!

The Un-Civil War continues with the latest battles on the flatlands of the Geneva Sod Farm with the ___________ Rebels vs the ___________ Yankees. (Insert own words)

Saturday October 10th at 10:00 AM

To keep it simple, food is pot luck nachos so bring your favorite chips, cheese and dips to share.

EVERYONE IN UNISON SAY, "I WILL BE THERE AND BRING ALL MY FLYING BUDDIES!!!"

SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE

"I WANT TO GO, I WILL GO, I MUST GO!!!!"

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Oct 23, 2009 at 08:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,158 Posts
Here is a list of suggested activities from the www.crashtesthobby.com website:

Rules of Engagement

Plane restrictions.
The motor needs to be in the back. We have an occasional plane out of control and we do not want anyone hurt. The planes should have a soft leading edge and not be glassed or have a hard spar on the leading edge. The plane should not be heavy. The 48" wings are usually under 32 oz. and the 36" wings under 16 oz. including batteries. Fast planes cause too much damage to other planes and themselves. Combat should be flown 20-50 mph.

Safety first.
The more people you get, the more important the flight line enforcement. In our large combat events we will have everyone still in the air go to high altitude or land so people can safely pick up their planes. Don't fly over the crowd. Don't do repairs past the flight line. Don't participate with heavy or unsafe planes.

Combat Games

Fox and Hound - The group flies a low circle or a figure 8, always turning away from the crowd. Those at the front of the pack slow down and those behind try to catch up for the hit. As soon as they are ahead they slow down. You score by making contact. Many times the planes can be flown out of the contact and spin without hitting the ground. You get a "Nudge" if you just bump and a "Hit" if a plane rolls over because of the impact. The circle gives the fliers the ability to cut a corner to catch up or to go wide to slow down.

Streamers on Planes - This is more traditional combat where the planes have streamers out the back. On flying wings we put a streamer on each wingtip and try to cut the streamers in the air. A variation is that one plane has a streamer and so is marked as the target plane and everyone tries to knock them out. In our group that does not mean hit the streamer. Another variation is that the group is divided into teams each with their own streamer plane and the team scores a point each time their streamer plane is hit.

Limbo - You can see our limbo poles in the videos but if you look back on some of our older videos you will see us use soccer goals for limbo poles. In limbo you can score however you want. Our most common limbo is won when you are the first to score 10 points. You score 1 point by going under the wire and two with some other factor such as inverted or an even harder lower wire to go under.

Skills - Simultaneously everyone will launch, do 3 loops, then 3 rolls and land, and the first with plane in hand wins. We have even done this with a required catch at the end to win. We have also required 2 catches to win. This is a favorite of some of the fliers. Did I mention that when you realize you are losing you try to take out the other plane so he can't win either?

Pylon Racing - An old favorite, but it takes on new meaning when you aren't afraid to collide during the race. We use our Limbo poles as the pylon poles for the races. We have been known to have one group go clockwise and another go counter clockwise.

Retirement party - This is how we get rid of old planes. It is usually that old Warbird or Slowstick or 3D plane that is near the end of it's life and so we euthanize it with the Assassins and other combat style wings. This is also a club favorite.

Bomb drop - I have a bomb release on my plane. We set up a target and people drop washers with a streamer on it and score by getting the closest to the target.

Streamer drop - I can carry and drop a roll of crepe paper or 1/3 roll of toilet paper and the group tries to chop it up in the air while it is floating down. A big challenge is to get the streamer to land close to the flight line.

Balloon Bust and Kick the Can
- Take a 1/4" - 36" dowel and poke it in the lawn. Tape a balloon to the top. What makes this intense is everyone is trying at the same time to pop the balloon and traffic gets low and heavy. The dowel will knock down easily if hit and rarely hurts an EPP wing. It has been suggested that a pop can on the dowel makes a great sound when it is hit.

Parachute drop - The parachute drop is great for Scout groups or kids. Each Scout brings a light parachute and they get dropped from the bomb drop 3 at a time. The Assassin can easily carry the weight. The flier tries to hit a target but the boys don't care if he misses. The Cub Scouts think this is great and love to chase. The boys have spent previous meetings making and coloring their parachutes. This gets fun when you have 3 fliers dropping the parachutes as fast as they can.

Night Combat - Combat is also fun in the dark. We have had a great time chasing each other around with lighted planes. The danger comes when you collide in the dark and the lights go out and you can't find your plane. Take your mosquito repellent and a headlamp.

Fly in Formation
- It is harder to fly together than to fly combat. Fly in formation and do rolls and loops together.

Paintball and Airsoft - It is fun to shoot at the planes. The shooter should set the paintball and airsoft guns at a low power and the pilot should realize what is about to happen. Low passes through the gun range will have a new intensity. The planes are harder to hit than you may think but when they do it definitly leaves a mark.
Last edited by Lee; Oct 23, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:35 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,044 Posts
Bring it on. Its has been a while since I put the hurt on a yellow bellied Yank!!!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:40 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
I won't be there on 9/19, but I will be there on 10/10.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,158 Posts
The south flies every week so the question is when the Yankees can come. Let's hear from those from the North is there enough interest to have an open fly day on the 19th of September too or should we just stick with the 10th of October?????
Old Aug 31, 2009, 01:09 PM
Joined May 2002
17,044 Posts
I will close down the last Civil War thread so we can just track it here.

You may want to go back and look at the last post in that thread.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 01:44 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
I can more than likely make both days,
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Aug 31, 2009, 01:50 PM
Joined May 2002
17,044 Posts
I vote for making the war the 10th.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:25 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,859 Posts
10th it is. So we gonna go all day and into the night? Or we gonna do a Friday evening session, camp out, then do Saturday until we get tired of spanking Yanks around?

I gotta get working on that new combat plane. I'm not gonna miss out on half the fun like I did last time.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2009, 03:10 PM
Joined May 2002
17,044 Posts
Really, there is no smack anywhere about this???
What has happened to us. And by us I mean the rebels. After getting to know the Yanks better I have even deeper feelings that this group of Rouge flyers must be destroyed.
Is anyone else excited about another War??? If not I will prune my trees on the 10th.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 03:36 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,158 Posts
I don't think the Northerner Yankees can comment. They don't have internet at the jail.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 03:50 PM
Joined May 2002
17,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I don't think the Northerner Yankees can comment. They don't have internet at the jail.
Thats what I am talkin about!!!!!!!
Old Sep 08, 2009, 03:53 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,443 Posts
Don't worry, we will be out by then.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Sep 08, 2009, 04:28 PM
Joined May 2002
17,044 Posts
Good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase
Don't worry, we will be out by then.
If you guys could get your Parole Officers interested it would quickly double the Yank count.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 05:19 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Will there be a need for more shirts this time? If so, she needs to get working on them soon. Do you want them to say anythig different? Here is the website with colors and such. Remember, this is really a non profit deal, only 10 bucks, and that basically pays for supplies, we do this for you guys/gals. Shirts Page Ask around, let me know how many of what I need to bring.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G