HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:28 AM
Karim:Student/Model Flyer
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Nasr City
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
Discussion
Help! what plane is this? and how do i fix it?

I started building this in 2005 and found it in my garage yesterday before i can finish it i need to ask a few questions.

First of all i have no idea what power system i will be needing ie aprox watts required I just weighed it and its 54grams without ailerons or any equipment

Also it has a few twists in the wing i am not sure how to remove. The wing is 3mm depron so i was concidering going the way of a shocky and bracing it with carbon fire. Any other thoughts?

p.s if anyone can tell me what it is that would be great, i lost the plans which i originally downloaded free from the net.
Flying Scotsman is offline Find More Posts by Flying Scotsman
Last edited by Flying Scotsman; Aug 31, 2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: More relevant
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:03 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,290 Posts
Pic?

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:14 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,363 Posts
we need pics to be able to help you Flying Scotsman
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
took some pics went to up load them, came back and my new puppy ripped it to pieces ! Note don't leave a puppy and plane in a room together!

Dont Know what to do now, trace round the pieces and make a new one or make a completely different one. I got 1 sheet of 3mm and 1 of 6mm, what would you do?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:42 AM
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
Had a look round on the net for free plans and couldn't find anything i liked as much as this one so i think ill trace over the parts and rebuild it. On question tho, the depron sheet i am building with is not completely flat is there any way to flatten it back out?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
got the pieces cut out now so will start to assemble it soon. Anyone know what it is? it would be nice so i can find the plan i built it from and get the CG, power suggestions etc..
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:29 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Cant help you with what model it is but here's a suggestion for straightening that wing. You dont have to get fancy with the extra ribs if the span is not to big, but if you do it's darn strong and stiff with no CF. This one is 32" made from 3 layers of 2mm. The ailerons are tapered and center hinged(1/3) that way. Might seem like alot of work, but it flys great. You can customize the thicknes and thick point and taper easily this way too, which is fun to play with.
gtrScotty is offline Find More Posts by gtrScotty
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:43 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,363 Posts
I don't know what plane it is but if i can permit : you might draw a longer nose to your plane, she will be easier to balance. In my opinion, double the lenght of her nose.

For the CG of such a foamy, rules of thumb is to balance the plane between 25% and 33% of the Mean Aerodynamic Chord - also called MAC -
(have to measuring distance from the leading edge of the wing at the MAC's position )
Have a look here, how to find MAC's position is really well explained :
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...amic_chord.htm

Keep in mind that a "hard nose down" balanced aircraft will not fly well but a "hard tail heavy" balanced aircraft will not fly at all.

If you're a nrand new Rc pilot prefer a forward position for COG (25 to 28% of MAC)

Twisted depron is hard to "un twist" (sorry don't know the english word) may be use hair dryer to heat the wing and twist it in the other side ?

[Joke mode ON]

Think to better feet the dog, depron is not good for her health

[Joke mode OFF]

Good night !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Aug 31, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, some of it is a bit late tho i already cut out the fuze do i don't think i can lengthen the nose (unless the dog eats it again!) and since i had to redo it all i will take more care with the wing to avoid any twisting. I will keep the CoG in mind tho when i am mounting some servos ( i think i may manage to get them all on the wing shocky style and i will try keep them as far forward as possible.

I will start to glue her up tomorrow so will keep you guys updated, Thanks again for the advice
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:15 PM
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
Btw Scotty, i like your wing, i may use that if i get round to building another foamy any time soon!

Karim
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:49 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
I think it used to resemble this one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822545.

- Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Sep 02, 2009, 05:38 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,363 Posts
I agree with you Rab.

It may be the same plane
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2009, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
your right guys it does look very similar, i got the plan off the net in 2005 so i don't think its the same one.

Just to let anyone who is interested know i cut out new depron pieces by tracing over the old mauled ones and framed the wing with carbon strip and got everything together. The servos are installed now and all it needs now are the speedo and motor from Hong Kong and a lipo from robotbirds.com. Then it will be ready for its maiden!