HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:41 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,923 Posts
Discussion
Sparklet overlooks Morecambe Bay and a Bronze Age Stone Circle

Some photos I took a week or three ago. The weather has been terrible this month and next week looks to be wet and windy again

However, these photos were taken on a very overcast day with just a hint of sun here and there.

The areas of water shown in the photos all dry out at low tide and leave hundreds of square miles of sand. Some river channels cut through the sand and carry on out into the Irish Sea, which is on the far horizon. There are areas of quicksand and these become much more dangerous when there has been a lot of rainfall. Underground streams surface out in the Bay and these form deadly areas of quicksand. Two days ago a local woman was very lucky to escape from some quicksand. There is now a hovercraft used for resuing those who become trapped by the incoming tide or get into quicksands.

The advice for gettin out of quicksand is to lie down and roll out of it.... I hope I never have to try it !

The tide around the U.K usually takes about 6 hours to get from low water to high water. Here, in the Bay nothing happens untill around 1 hour before high tide when the water suddenly appears. The tide comes in so fast it can outrun a horse. At one time fishermen used to use horse and cart to fish for shrimps and cockles. On the rare occasion one was caught out by the incoming tide they could only cut the horse free of the cart and give it a chance to swim.... not usually a success ! The fishermen now use tractors and probably have a tide table !!! A couple ofyears ago 21 Chinese, who were cockle picking, drowned when caught by the incoming tide.

It is a very special area with a magnificent beauty and is a very important place for wading birds during the winter.

The stone circle dates from the Bronze Age and was originally the inner circle of two. The stones of the outer circle have mainly fallen over and become buried but the shape can be made out from the few left standing. It is a beautiful circle and very popular as it is just off the single track road which gives easy access. I am out of shot to the right of the stone circle.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Last edited by sparklet; Aug 30, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: sort out typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
898 Posts
Nice photos Sparklet. I was at Arnside in June when the tide was out but it was a bit windy with too many people about to risk AP.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:56 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Nice shots, Sparklet.
You don't need to tell me what the weather is like at present, in the past weeks AND for the forseeable future! - Absolute garbage. Considering all that you did well to dodge the showers. Let's hope for an "Indian" summer!
Ted, Cheshire UK
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:01 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Great images.
Well the weather fits with the old adage for the Lake District, eleven months of bad weather followed by a month of rain!
Seem to have got it here though as well this year )c:

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:12 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,360 Posts
Very nice pictures and what beautiful green color.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:33 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,433 Posts
Lovely pictures and story from the area especially the stone circle.

Gray
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:22 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,923 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments.
I suppose we have to pay a price for being "The Lake District" !
Lake Windermere alone is 220 feet deep and it doesn't get that way with the odd, light shower.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 01:45 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,834 Posts
Thanks Sparklet,

Your story and pictures are just what I love about this forum.
My better half and I have just returned from a very soggy weekend on the banks of Windermere, so unfortunately no AP to show Found some great campsites from which to launch a small boat though.

Cheers

Andrew

PS: Some say that It should be called the Mountain District as there are more peaks than lakes. On that basis I think it should really be the Pi$$ing down District
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:35 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Swanny
Were you at Low Wray then? You get a real choice there. You can either get washed down into the lake or wait for the level to rise and get flooded out!
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:18 PM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,598 Posts
the right flier at the right time in the right place! beautiful pictures Sparklet. Let's have a tide race, we have the Mont St Michel's bay right there, not bad for quick tides also (plus quicksands as an handicap )

cheers!

olivier
olivdudu is offline Find More Posts by olivdudu
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:52 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW
Swanny
Were you at Low Wray then? You get a real choice there. You can either get washed down into the lake or wait for the level to rise and get flooded out!

GeeW,

We were staying at Whitecross Bay Caravan site (I think it was the Shorts Factory during the war, hence a very wide shallow ramp into the water)

I hasten to point out that we are not "tin-tenters" but were staying with friends. We looked at Low Wray yesterday on the way home: much more like our sort of camping, plus the opportunity to operate a model seaplane during a future visit!

Cheers

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Sep 01, 2009, 12:59 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW
Swanny
I see you are familiar with the district
Beautifully put.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 01:09 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivdudu
the right flier at the right time in the right place! beautiful pictures Sparklet. Let's have a tide race, we have the Mont St Michel's bay right there, not bad for quick tides also (plus quicksands as an handicap )

cheers!

olivier
Thank you Olivier. I have admired your aerial photos for some time now and they caused me to try harder.

Not Morecambe Bay but another, equally dangerous estuary, is just up the coast from the BAY. There was a guy there who used to go out on foot and then run like hell to beat the incoming tide, jumping across gullies and all sorts of antics. The emergency services were called out, including a helicopter on one occasion when members of the public spotted this guy sprinting across the sands with the tide chasing him. Thinking he was in great danger (which he was) they alerted the coastguard and lifeboat.

I know of 3 occasions when this happened and there were other times that I didn't know about. He only had to sprain an ankle and that would have been the end of the race !

I haven't heard anything about him for some months... perhaps he tripped

I doubt the emergency services would cry much, he has cost a lot of money. Scambling an air sea rescue helicopter doesn't come cheap !

I can't take up your challenge... I could probably manage a fast stumble but certainly nothing that resembles running
Old Sep 01, 2009, 01:21 PM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet

I can't take up your challenge... I could probably manage a fast stumble but certainly nothing that resembles running

So do I , I prefer to stand still, having a good beer and watching the tide, comfortably sat at a bar table at the Mont St Michel

cheers!

olivier
olivdudu is offline Find More Posts by olivdudu