SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2003, 07:09 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Just spent two hours flying my dads 175. What a nice plane, he had me flying straight and levels, 90 degree turns without gaining or losing altitude and flying circles around points on the ground in 25+ MPH winds for the first time. Difficult to say the least.
A great time was had by all!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Apr 20, 2003, 11:04 AM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sims
> flying circles around points on the ground in 25+ MPH winds for the first time. Difficult to say the least.
A great time was had by all!
Don
Were they constant radius turns, or elipses?
Difficult to say the least. I agree completely! No matter how much experience you have, constant radius turns around a fixed point are a serious challenge when the wind is blowing. The control inputs are constantly changing around the circle. It's a very good exercize, but can be dangerous!
If I may add a word of caution, I seriously advise you only practice this manouver in wind with another pilot in the other seat to maintain "situational awareness". When concentrating on your ground track, in the down wind to cross wind quadrant it's very easy to bank and pull too hard and get an accelerated stall. (sometimes erronously called "down wind stall") Unless you have sufficient altitude, it can ruin your whole day! I have known a couple of guys who made smoking holes in the ground that way.
Sorry for the "sermon", but if a word of caution may help make a safer pilot, then it's well worth any criticism incured.
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE
Old Apr 20, 2003, 09:30 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GYROGEARLOOSE
Were they constant radius turns, or elipses?
I really can't define the shape, much worse than "Ring around the rosey". And my altitude varied about 100 feet on the way around.

Quote:
[i]
Sorry for the "sermon", but if a word of caution may help make a safer pilot, then it's well worth any criticism incured. [/B]
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. My dad was in the pilots seat at the time. Currently he has the 175 and a Sundowner, he's looking at a 185 RG. He bought the planes and got his liscense after I left home and he retired years ago, whenever I visit we fly as much as our spouses will let us.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Oct 13, 2003, 06:22 PM
Joined Sep 2003
9 Posts
Cessna 152 Flys sweet :D

Hey all,

Yeh flying the real thing is so much better than flying R/C.
I fly a cessna152 regularly and am considering purchasing one soon.

Such a great feeling to fly. I love it! The thought of being able to go anywhere and turn anywhere and land at any air field is great. Im currently clocking my hours up in a cessa 152 and will probably do a instrument rating soon.

And although some say they "Would feel to restricted" it doesnt come into it if you truely love flying. Maybe you can't do upside down flight or loops in a standard Light trainer aircraft, it still doesnt make it "limited".

Its so fun! Cya all

Cant wait for sunday when i go flying again!
Cessna152 is offline Find More Posts by Cessna152
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:22 PM
Retired, but not tired
Live Oak, Florida
Joined Oct 2001
209 Posts
davecee and the Aeronca Champ....

Hey, that's my all-time favorite full-scale plane for fun-flying you're talking about!! I have a lot of hours in Champs among others, including tri-gear equipped ones, called the Aeronca Champion Tri-traveler. Pic attached....

Jamie
Reformed Slimer is offline Find More Posts by Reformed Slimer
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:44 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
I LOVE cessnas!

I got a chance to fly a 172 a few months ago, i tooka ll the training, i even navigated and talked to ATC...

It was great fun and a 172 flys realy good, alot fo fun and kept ME simleing all day too!

Good job man! Cessna's are great fun!

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Oct 13, 2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:45 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
No better way to start the day than flying a Cessna!
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:46 PM
Joined May 2003
66 Posts
I am also clocking my time in a 152. Last two lessons were cross wind touch and go's. The pucker factor can get high with just a slight wind sheer when you are close to the ground.

I curious, has anyone throttled to idle and gained altitude from circling in a thermal in 152?

Bill
hayman01 is offline Find More Posts by hayman01
Old Oct 13, 2003, 09:04 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,431 Posts
Yup sure have when I wa training the instructors used to take ya to a mountauin not to far away turn the motor off and catch thermals of this sucker great air time without paying for it.

Mind you I don't think I would be to game if it was just me.
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Oct 13, 2003, 10:30 PM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
I used to try to turn in a thermal when I was flying skydivers in a C182, but never motor off. Could usually manage a turn or two with a huge jump in rate of climb, but often youd get outside and into sink which could cost altitude, more than you gained so it had to be a hot day when the thermals were huge to be of any use.
Also there was a "story" about one of my schools instructors (known for exageration) and a student, ferry flying a C150 Aerobat from Adelaide to the Gold Coast, "apparently" the thermals were so strong in the afternoon near Broken Hill that they throttled back and rode a thermal from 5000 to 12000 feet when it got too cold so they continued on track descending to get warm.

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Oct 14, 2003, 03:26 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,102 Posts
I was allowed to take over the controls of an F-111 for the descent from 30K to 10K feet after we'd finished a rather fast test flight....25 years ago and I'm still smiling
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 14, 2003, 03:40 AM
-=Futaba RuLEz=-
Netanya, Israel
Joined Sep 2002
889 Posts
I wish I was allowed to take the controls.. The closest I ever got was a few months ago in a Zlin (I think 250). The pilot was my grandfathers friend, so I got to go up in it.
We did some rolls, loops, spins, immelmans.... It was great!!!!!
t_predator90 is offline Find More Posts by t_predator90
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:49 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Phah.. too noisy!
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 14, 2003, 09:17 AM
-=Futaba RuLEz=-
Netanya, Israel
Joined Sep 2002
889 Posts
Not if you switch the engine off!
t_predator90 is offline Find More Posts by t_predator90
Old Oct 14, 2003, 01:10 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Bet I can stay up longer than you in that mode!
My best (in a two-place) is 6hr 45min..
Solo, a couple of hours, but I needed to pee and eat lunch!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W