Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:47 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
HELP!! Can't get this smile off my face!

I got to go flying today. Not rc but the real thing. Had a customer come in to the store and we got to talking about planes, (I know he has one) and he says lets go!
I look at him and ask if he is kidding?
He says "I'm serious!)
I say "Let's go!"
My employee says "You have a meeting in 15 minutes!"
I say "Just tell him I'm detained for about an hour, if he wants to sell me something he will wait!"

It was great, we take off, climb to 2,000 feet and he says your plane. I must have flown the plane myself for about 40 minutes. It was so much easier than flying r/c or microsoft simulator. The plane was a Cessna 172 and handled like a dream, we flew through light turbulence and I still managed to keep the wings level through it all. I found myself using the artificial horizon and the climb rate gauge more than looking out the window for reference. We did coordinated turns, climbs, descents, touch and go's. I was really shocked at how well I did, granted it was mostly straight and level with some turns, but it was my first time with a yoke in my hand.
I'm phyched and ready to go again.

It was a great hour that provided an all day smile!
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:02 PM
We got planes to build
Dallas, TX
Joined Sep 2001
521 Posts
Last summer I took a intro flying lesson that was much like you describe. Once we got out of controlled airspace, plane was mine. Like you I found myself watching the artificial horizon, altimeter, etc. but after a while too much of that made me airsick. Aside from that I really enjoyed it.

Dave
dmiller is offline Find More Posts by dmiller
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:34 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
Haha reading this reminds me of when I was at ground school aviation camp in New Orleans, and we rented this POS Cessna 172. The thing was rust colored (I hope that was color, and not rust lol). Took 4 hits on the started to get it going, and I just knew it was going to konk out on us. I dreaded the though of swimming lake ponchatrain (sp?). Anyway it managed ok, but WOT at 200 feet was producing a whopping 100 mph. Too slow, and too low forward visability for my taste. Still the first time is always fun especially the first landing. Thats really the fun part is taking off, and landing the rest is like driving a car through rolling hills lol.
First time I flew it was in a 2 place homebuilt experimental with a 90 hp engine that had to be hand propped to start. Now that was a exciting experience lol. Not to mention it was abric covered, and a tail dragger on a short grass strip.
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:36 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Mike

I know exactly how you feel. A friend of mine has had several planes over the last few years and I've had tha pleasure of flying in each of them. He started with a Piper Cherokee then moved up to a Piper Warrior. The warrior was a blast. Retractable gear,auto pilot and a bunch more power than the Cherokee.

But the biggest kick is his latest plane. It is a Beech Travelaire twin. I've had the pleasure of taking the yoke on that plane on occassion and its a hoot. The only problem with it is at the gas pump. I think it has two 75 gallon tanks--one in each wing. Need I say more?

One beautiful Sunday we were flying at 3500 ft around the field we fly R/C. I was in the right seat on the controls. I was looking out the window at the field below when my friend suddenly pulled back the power on one engine. An alarm sounded and I somehow managed to level the wings. I still don't recall what I did but it was the right thing. He put the power back up and the alarm shut off only to be replaced by his laughter. I didn't think it was funny at all. He said he wanted to show me the engine out capability of the plane. I think he wanted to scare the c- -p out of me. He did.

BM
BillM is online now Find More Posts by BillM
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:09 AM
We got planes to build
Dallas, TX
Joined Sep 2001
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hopperfly22
... and too low forward visability for my taste.

I thought it was just me. I am used to driving cars with low sloping hoods, and did not care for the lack of visibility at all on the cessna I flew in (which I think was a 172).

Dave
dmiller is offline Find More Posts by dmiller
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:03 AM
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Apr 2000
353 Posts
I've only been up in a small plane once and other than trying not to puke it was fun!

This was years ago and the plane was a Cessna 152 where a friend-of-a-friend was taking lessons. He had soloed a few weeks prior and was working on his hours.

I love airplanes (my Granddad built B-29s) but I HATE riding in them! Every flight I've ever taken in a commercial plane has been "uncomfortable". I've never actually had to use the bag, but I've come close! We're talking L-1011s, 727s and the like (never been on a 747). Couple BC130s thrown in for spice...

Dramamine helps, but not much. Tried the rubberband thing, nada. Don't fly often enough to pay for one of the electronic thingies...

Anyway, my friend and I hopped in my V8 Monza (sweet little car, quick-like-a-bunny) and did a little "low flying" to the little airport about 20 miles away.

The closer we got to the airport the foggier it got. By the time we got there visibility was something like 50' tops. Ceiling Zero.

Tooled down the driveway and parked. No sign of his friend (or anybody else). So we sat there. And sat there...

Now bear in mind I had taken my two LAST tabs of Dramamine earlier, expecting that we'd get there and go up about the time it kicked in...

AND we sat there...

About an hour later we hear this rumble off in the distance and thought "that's not his car"...

Now Monzas are rare cars (and were even then) and V8 ones are even rarer. What do you think came rolling up but ANOTHER Monza! This one wasn't an original V8 car, and was kind of a hack-job with a smallblock 400 shoehorned in. Welded motor mounts, etc. All go, not "pretty" like mine. Guy worked at the airport.

So we did the "carguy" thing for a while and FINALLY our "pilot" (and the tower guy) showed up.

Now by this time I'm a few hours into my Dramamine rush (not) and my friend and I flipped a coin to see who would go up first.

As is typical for my luck, he won the toss and they did the preflight and took off.

About that time the other Monza owner said: "Wanna drag some?"

I said: "Sure, where?"

Turns out they had the runway marked off and there was NO other traffic that day. Coolness!

So while my friend was taking his flight *I* got to do a little racing! Unfortunately it was before I took the built 262.5 out and put my built 350 in so I got waxed pretty good (although he had a problem controlling wheelspin and I didn't)...

Finally (after another hour or so) the tower let us know the 152 was coming back (gotta love radio)...

Then it was my turn to ride.

Me in the right seat, crosswind takeoff, and up we went.

Got some air under us and he let me take the yoke. Kept it level and noodled around a while, nothing fancy...

Then the fun started. He took it back and did a few stalls-and-recoveries and tight turns and dives...

This was when I realized the Dramamine had worn off. Got that cold-sweat thing going, and the queasy feeling in the pit of my (empty, thank God) stomach.

Told him so and opened the side window to get some fresh air (thinking I was going to have to stick my head out and heave). Then he said: "You know if you puke it'll come right back in?"

Managed to "contain" myself until we landed, and once back on "Terra Firma" I was instantly OK...

Just thought I'd share that...

Phil G is offline Find More Posts by Phil G
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:05 AM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
I guess I was lucky

My first and only flying lesson, my instructor let me take off in the 172!
He worked the rudder pedals, but I got to advance the throttle and pull back on the stick to takeoff.

I was just like you, Heck, I Still AM, that SMile on my face allways comes back when I think about til this day. This flying lesson was a few years back.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Apr 16, 2003, 08:09 PM
Keremeos BC Canada
Joined Dec 2002
369 Posts
Wheeeee....

A buddy of mine was working on his Commercial, which is hours for the sake of hours. He sez, it gets lonely up there, wanna come? Ask me twice? HAHA !! We went up for a couple of hours, and at one point he says, this is not happening ok? Go for it... We did the whole card, stalls, spins, hibanks, not a big deal in a 150 but FUN just the same...

Went to fly sailplanes at Estrella, and got a horse's rump for an instructor. I would still be flying if it hadn't been for that ... fellow... I LOVE flying in ANYTHING, even hang gliders
T. Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by T. Lyttle
Old Apr 17, 2003, 09:57 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I thought about asking the guy to do a stall so I could see what it felt like. (Done way to many in r/c and wanted to experience it for myself) I ended up not asking. I was amazed that during those steep turns you couldn't really feel anything different even though you were looking over your left shoulder to see the ground. Very wild. I am now a firm believer in the value of flight sims though. I have been using microsoft flight simulator 95 some and it made a lot of difference when it came to reading the instruments and understanding what they meant. All of my friends and family are asking me if I am going to take flying lessons now. Truth be told I had thought about it.
And to think that in the mid 80's a guy wanted to trade his airplane (Piper I think, low wing kinda roundish cabin) for my dads boat.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:00 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I thought about asking the guy to do a stall so I could see what it felt like. (Done way to many in r/c and wanted to experience it for myself) I ended up not asking. I was amazed that during those steep turns you couldn't really feel anything different even though you were looking over your left shoulder to see the ground. Very wild. I am now a firm believer in the value of flight sims though. I have been using microsoft flight simulator 95 some and it made a lot of difference when it came to reading the instruments and understanding what they meant. All of my friends and family are asking me if I am going to take flying lessons now. Truth be told I had thought about it.
And to think that in the mid 80's a guy wanted to trade his airplane (Piper I think, low wing kinda roundish cabin) for my dads boat. We didn't do it and I kick myself for it sometimes
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:47 AM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike C
> I was amazed that during those steep turns you couldn't really feel anything different even though you were looking over your left shoulder to see the ground. <
Bank it 60 degrees, hold enough back pressure on the yoke to keep the nose on the horizon, you will feel 2 g's. If you're a bit on the tubby side, it will sag your belly down over your belt!
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE
Old Apr 18, 2003, 03:45 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,759 Posts
I've loved planes all my life, really enjoy RC flight. As a child I always thought I'd like to learn to fly real planes when I grew up.
However it's not to be. My first ride, many years ago, in a small plane was eye opening. It was a noisy, hot, vibrating tin can and I just didn't like it a bit. Then three years ago, an oldtimer took me up in his pristine Aeronca Champ, a really beautiful plane, and let me take the stick and rudder pedals. Well guess what, I still don't like it. The plane again was a noisy vibrating mass, and I could have over looked that if flying it had been fun. The plane was sluggish and the controls had no tactile feedback. I really wish I did enjoy flying in a light plane, and I envy those of you who do. I guess I'll just continue to get my aviation fix from the ground.
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Apr 18, 2003, 07:57 PM
Keremeos BC Canada
Joined Dec 2002
369 Posts
Don't quit yet, dave,

See what you can find for sailplane famflights.

With no row going on, just the whistle of the air, and the feeliing of every thermal under your butt, it may be enough to convince you. Once you get into a solo ship where you are literally the nose weight, the fun begins. Knew a guy that tried everything, golf, models, owned an RG, blah blah, he is still flying sailplanes 25 years later, got most of his badges, now flies Just Because.
T. Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by T. Lyttle
Old Apr 19, 2003, 07:28 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Best darn fun ya can have with ya pants on for sure.

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Apr 19, 2003, 08:33 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
I had an opportunity to do the same. A co-worker offered to take me up in his dad's Cessna 210. He gave me the controls once we were airborn and I flew from Chicago to Milwaukee. We buzzed my subdivision and house first so I could take a pic and then off we went. What a blast!
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C