Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by Plentyangry
Joined Nov 2009
6 Posts
since no one else has mentioned it, I guess I have to....

Nice yard man

oh, and obviously, well done.

Say what you will about turning a 20 dollar toy into a 400 dollar toy, but I find projects like that to be fun enough to make the investment worthwhile.
Plentyangry is offline Find More Posts by Plentyangry
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by skrags
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Hey mate,

i just picked up one of these hovercrafts and want to get it a bit more power.
I'm thinking of just replacing the 2 motors on the rear with something better, will those motors you used do it?
Sorry i'm not very cluey with this kind of thing.
Or can you recommend a type on ebay i can buy =)

Brad
skrags is offline Find More Posts by skrags
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by CuriousMarc
Palo Alto, CA
Joined May 2007
106 Posts
I only replaced the main fan motor with the brushless one. I bet you can replace the rear motors too - I vaguely remember they were the same type. That will make it super fast..
CuriousMarc is offline Find More Posts by CuriousMarc
Old Jan 03, 2016, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by cstratton
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
653 Posts
Just got a newer version of this by "Echo" for $5 after my local CVS gave up on it's ****-grade Christmas toys and marked them down by 90%.

Electronics look different - still a 600 mAH 8-cell, but a "Chipsky" (can't make this stuff up) CPRX2 27 MHz receiver and a pair of MX6181518 bridges. There are also some PTC fuses.

Stock performance is... bad. It seems to float okay, but very little movement. There doesn't seem to be much loss across the PTC or bridges, so probably it would just need a higher voltage or better motors for movement.

The one thing I wonder about is the centrifugal lift fan. There doesn't seem to be any sort of fairing matching that to the inlet of the housing - I almost wonder if there's a part missing. The skirt certainly inflates, and it slides around pretty easily when pushed, but I suppose if lifted higher it might move better with the weak propulsion motors.

Trying to decide if I'm serious enough about this project to walk back and get a second.

Alas their one "2.4 GHz" toy (marked down to $1.99) uses a mystery "GR288S" IC which is probably stuck with the stock bang-bang controls, so my hopes of dirt-cheap NRF24's or A7105's or whatever are dashed...
cstratton is offline Find More Posts by cstratton
Last edited by cstratton; Jan 03, 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2016, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by raw89
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstratton View Post
Just got a newer version of this by "Echo" for $5 after my local CVS gave up on it's ****-grade Christmas toys and marked them down by 90%.
The one thing I wonder about is the centrifugal lift fan. There doesn't seem to be any sort of fairing matching that to the inlet of the housing - I almost wonder if there's a part missing. The skirt certainly inflates, and it slides around pretty easily when pushed, but I suppose if lifted higher it might move better with the weak propulsion motors.
I had the same feeling about the lift fan on my clone so I removed the screen & just taped on a circle cut out of thin corr. cardboard to seal it up better....it did seem to help if only a little....
Ralph
raw89 is offline Find More Posts by raw89
Old Jan 04, 2016, 08:55 PM
Joined Nov 2008
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw89 View Post
I had the same feeling about the lift fan on my clone so I removed the screen & just taped on a circle cut out of thin corr. cardboard to seal it up better....it did seem to help if only a little....
Ralph
Looking at your picture there's more difference between these than I though - mine has a square intake area, and there seems to be nothing done to match that to the centrifugal fan at all (perhaps they really are unrelated as products, except for market niche).

However, I had the fan out last night as I tore everything down to evaluate the components individually, and was surprised to find that when running it completely in the open there was a huge amount of suction into the open axial end - so the lack of structural guidance may not really be an issue.

I think the big improvement will be finding some more potent propulsion motors for it, or else upping the voltage. I'm ultimately planning to replace the electronics with custom proportional ones, so cooking the stock ones by overvoltage would be no great loss.
Old Jan 04, 2016, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by CuriousMarc
Palo Alto, CA
Joined May 2007
106 Posts
Cool to see you can still get a version of the base toy!
CuriousMarc is offline Find More Posts by CuriousMarc
Old Jan 08, 2016, 01:14 AM
Joined Nov 2008
653 Posts
What size and sort of motors did yours have?

The echo has two 24mm diameter round motors that are very weak. Off the 8 cell (NiMH) pack they pull less than half an amp each, making me think they are either garbage and/or wound for something in excess of 12 volts. Did some playing around this evening with 180 motors off an old coax heli intended for 2s lipo, and those pull around 4 amps from the same pack when spinning the stock 3" diameter 3 blade prop... so just about 10x the (electrical) power level. Even some 130 motors from a dollar store fan seem better, though probably would cook themselves in short order.

So, unless I want to take the stock motors apart and try rewinding them, I think I'll be fabricating some adapters to mount the smaller 180 motors. There's a plastic plate closing the prop side of the nacelle which I can drill for the screws for proper motors, or I may 3d print some sort of capture for the dollar store ones that lack screw holes. I may give it a shot temporarily with simple forward-only ESCs and get a sense how they make it move before deciding if I want to invest in reverse capability.

Also interested in other recommendations for power systems. The stock fan cages are limited to 3" but I could go to four blade props. The stock system is both conventional rotation with "pusher" props - it's not contra-rotating so a pair of opposites sold for a coax heli or twin plane would mean running one against the brushes ideal direction, unless I can source matching conventional and pusher props that fit the 3" constraint. So far the lift fan seems okay, though if it were not for that I could drop from an 8 cell pack down to 6 or so and the 180 motors might be more in their element.

And then there's the nacelles themselves, which mean just about zero motor cooling. Would be a shame visually to cut them off, but have to see what heating ends up being like.
Last edited by cstratton; Jan 08, 2016 at 01:21 AM.