SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:33 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Discussion
Free sim R/C Desk Pilot up for download.

Hi everybody,
After many months of hard work I'm ready to let others try my flight-sim. It is just a first beta-version and nowhere near finished (software never is). But, if you're feeling adventurous, you can download it for free at rcdeskpilot.com
Features:
  • 3 airplanes with moving control surfaces
  • 3D scenery
  • wind and thermal simulation
System requirements:
  • Windows XP/Vista
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • .NET framework
The hardware requirements aren't known yet, but maybe you can help with that . I estimate that you need a fairly recent computer to run it smoothly. For now only controllers that emulate a joystick are supported, but let me know if other interfaces are useful.

Please report problems, suggestions and other experiences with the sim so I can improve it.

Thanks!
Davy

Update: Currently the latest version is 0.1.3. A list of user-created add-on aircraft can be found here. Install the add-on aircraft by unpacking aircraft archives into the 'Documents\RC Desk Pilot\Aircraft' folder and restarting the sim.
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Last edited by GeneralFailure; Nov 19, 2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: title change
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:13 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy,

Looks good, and so I've downloaded the application to give it a whirl:

The program installed but failed to run - Vista reported that the application had stopped. Tried again and got the same response.

I've attached a report in the event log which might mean more to you then it does to me. My PC is a dual core Pentium 2.00 Ghz, 6GB DDR Ram running Vista with SP1, with a dot net version of 3.5 sp1

UPDATE:

Some more info on the error:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RCDeskPilot.exe
Application Version: 0.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4a98f0aa
Fault Module Name: KERNEL32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18215
Fault Module Timestamp: 49953395
Exception Code: e0434f4d
Exception Offset: 000442eb
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 2057
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Last edited by Malc C; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
The program installed but failed to run - Vista reported that the application had stopped. Tried again and got the same response.
Hi Malc C,
Thank you very much for testing and the detailed error report. For what it's worth: exception e0434f4d is a generic COM exception. It could mean you don't have DirectX 9.0c installed. Have you tried running as administrator or running in XP compatibility mode (although it shouldn't be necessary of course)?

In the mean time I'm setting up a virtual pc to try to reproduce the error.
Would you be willing to try a debug version if I sent you one?

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Davy
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:50 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Hi Davy,

I'm running ver 10 of DirectX according to the report I've just run

Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/29/2009, 18:41:31
       Machine name: MALCOLM-PC
   Operating System: Windows Vista™ Business (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
       System Model: GF7050V-M7
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
             Memory: 3182MB RAM
          Page File: 908MB used, 5683MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.
Running as Administrator, or in XP compatibility mode still resulted in the same issue of the application not running, and I've also tried the obvious of downloading and re-installing but that didn't work either

If you want to drop me a PM with a link to the debug version I'm willing to try and help resolve this issue. It would also be nice if others could also download the non debug version and post their results, especially those with Vista
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:59 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Hi Davy,

I'm running ver 10 of DirectX according to the report I've just run
Hi Malcom,
thanks for testing again. I found a machine with the same error. The problem there was that DirectX 9.0c was not installed. Beware that DirectX 10 isn't backwards compatible, so you still need to install DirectX 9.0. I installs next to DirectX 10.
It can be downloaded here

Hope this helps!
Davy
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:46 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Well that fixes it...

As a constructive comment, I would suggest that you look at making it compliant with ver 10 as well, seeing that this is the version that is shipped with Vista by default, or look at somehow embedding it within the installation in some way. For me I would find it frustrating or very slightly annoying that I have to download several other components to make it work out of the box...

Now it works I'm off to see how it performs... shame there are no helies to play with
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:51 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
Dx 10

I agree ...you really should look into making it DX10 compatible...DX9 will not install in Windows 7, hence I can't get it to work at all...I will try using virtual xp mode.

Ken
Helos36 is offline Find More Posts by Helos36
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:02 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Well that fixes it...

As a constructive comment, I would suggest that you look at making it compliant with ver 10 as well, seeing that this is the version that is shipped with Vista by default, or look at somehow embedding it within the installation in some way. For me I would find it frustrating or very slightly annoying that I have to download several other components to make it work out of the box...
Okay, thanks for the comment. I'll definitely try to include it in the installer. The same for the .NET framework.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helos36
I agree ...you really should look into making it DX10 compatible...DX9 will not install in Windows 7, hence I can't get it to work at all...I will try using virtual xp mode.
Are you sure you can't install DirectX 9 on Windows 7 with the link posted above? Because that would ruin about 90% of the games. I'll try to test the sim on Windows 7 as soon as possible.
Quote:
Now it works I'm off to see how it performs... shame there are no helies to play with
There already there in my head
I'm really curious what you think of the sim itself...
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:30 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy,

Hope this mini review provides some feedback which you to develop this a bit further. Please note my comments are constructive and I'm not trying to pull the thing apart.

Review:

Once the Direct X issue was resolved the application launched and once passed the initial splash screen the interface is nice and fresh. The options on the screen to set the sim up are easy to understand and I had no problem mapping the channels to the model control surface. However it would of been nice to see an option in this screen to calibrate the throws of the sticks so that when the stick was in the minimum position it bottomed out on the slider. I didn't bother calibrating the interface in control panel as it has been fine with other sims.

Graphics wise the sim is on par with the old Realflight G2 or FMS for the landscape. The models look good and the movable flaps etc are a nice touch. Movement was very fluid and smooth, and the models flew very well. The physics IMO are way better than FMS, but not quite up to the same level as some of the top end sims I've used. One thing I've noticed that worked well was the way the model reacted in a stall condition. The extra model for me didn't have the same performance as I would expected and is no where near as agile as the same model in AFPD for example. In fact it behaved very much like the the Cessna which was a little disappointing.

Collision detection needs a lot of work. On one landing I fell short and was rapidly approaching a tree, the plane touched down, but went straight through the trunk.

Sound was excellent, the engine note and sound was good, and unlike some other sims that debuted in the same way, were not stuttering or simply a wav file that was repeated over and over again with a noticeable pitch change.

Suggestions, well more models including some helicopters, and possibly the ability to use photo realistic backgrounds would be a nice touch (having said that the clouds are fantastic) Tweeking the physics slightly, for different models, and including the calibration screen would certainly give some other simulators a run for their money It certainly kicks FMS into touch IMO and will be the sim I would recommend for people to try if they are just starting and need to get stick orientation.

Oh and one other thing... change the "back to game" on the menu to "back to simulation" or something similar... as IMO its not a game

UPDATE:

Been playing the sim a bit more now and like it a lot.... The trees look a lot like the ones in my old Tiger Woods PGA game... and like I said a lot more detail than FMS.

Ground handling on the models also needs to be improved. I can't steer the Cessna and it tends to want to go straight down the runway rather than turn circles - it want to slide too much.

Gravity Sucks - please remove the message and simply reset the model

On the collision detection, I also managed to taxi through the bench as well.
Last edited by Malc C; Aug 29, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:42 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Thank you very much Malcom for that review! The sim is certainly needs a lot work but I wanted to get feedback early on so I keep working in the right direction. I will try to put newer versions online regularly.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:56 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy,

I think for a beta release it's very good... Please keep up the good work and I'm sure that whilst I know it will be a lot of hard work it will be worth it in the end. This is IMO a very viable product.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:05 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
One further thing.. I've just notices the wind is blowing the trees.... wow ! nice touch

I can't quite get what you've done here... the grass, trees, benches and hills all look very "computer generate" but the sky is photo real... and looks fantastic with the smoke trails. But the combination works.... It's very playable, quite addictive, and has me wanting more. I can't wait for more models and if possible more backgrounds.

Hope my comments help, and for what it's worth I've had fun in beta testing your product
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
20 Posts
Hey "Davy"!

Just downloaded your sim. I must say, for a beta version, it is very well put together. I agree with Malcom, the Extra could use a little "oomph", because it flies like the Cessna. I can't complain, though! Well done.
WonderWhat is offline Find More Posts by WonderWhat
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:54 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy,

Found one other small issue, that might need looking at. I noticed that the map is quite small, and when in a vertical climb it was easy to punch through the sky and go into orbit..

This must of screwed up the program as I was then able to coast down and land underneath the hills. It either needs the ceiling of the cloud base increased or the models made to "collide" with the sky, but not crash.

One other thing.. it would be nice if the user had the option to show the frame rate, hight and other such info that can be found on other sims.

Other than that.. I've not put my tx down all evening
Old Aug 29, 2009, 06:14 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
... it was easy to punch through the sky and go into orbit..
I'll definitely look into it. Nice screenshot btw
Quote:
One other thing.. it would be nice if the user had the option to show the frame rate, hight and other such info that can be found on other sims.
Try the 'i' key
Quote:
Other than that.. I've not put my tx down all evening
That's the best compliment you could have given me!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 06:18 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
Win 7

When I try to install DX9 using the link to microsofts page, it tells me that DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivelent version has been already installed newer version is installed. No installation is necessary

This is Windows 7RC 64 bit

I will download the full package in a bit instead of doing the web setup

Ken

Update- ok download full dx9c package and did a force install...DX9 installed ok..but now the program just will not run in Windows 7
Here is what I get

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RCDeskPilot.exe
Application Version: 0.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4a98f0aa
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7100.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49eeaac8
Exception Code: e0434f4d
Exception Offset: 000000000000bb5d
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Last edited by Helos36; Aug 29, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:05 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
865 Posts
Well my install went great and as long as I fly above any terrain the planes fly great. The problem is when there is any kind of ground in view the planes are uncontrolable even when just sitting on the ground. While sitting on the runway the planes just bounce around until they end up crashing and that is with no power on. In order to take off I need to hit reset with the plane at full throttle and hope I get out of view of the ground before I crash.

Looks good for a first release.

If this doesn't make sense send me a PM.

Mike
AZcrashpro is online now Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Ken,
For Windows 7, it might be that it's just the Managed version of DirectX that's missing. If you're still up for it, can you download this file and extract the .dll's into your sim folder (probably c:\program files\rc desk pilot)? I'll try to test the sim on windows 7 myself as soon as possible.

Mike,
it sounds like the flightmodel isn't getting enough CPU cycles. Your videocard probably doesn't support Vertex Shaders causing the CPU to be occupied with rendering the graphics. I've increased the priority of the flightmodel, so in the next release, hopefully this will be better, but I still need to do some work to accomodate for slower machines. Could you post the specs of your PC?
In the mean time you could try to reduce the resolution or windowsize of the sim to see if it makes any difference.

I appreciate the effort and feedback you all provide, I'm glad I introduced the sim here first.

Davy
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:10 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Ken, could it be the fact you're running a 64bit version of windows ? I know some 32 bit applications won't run on a 64 bit platform, maybe Davy has used library files that are 32bit only.

Mike, I too have strange ground handling experiences, but not like yours. For me the model will just drift in the direction of the runway, and any attempt to taxi at low speed becomes twitchy and on occasion the model would flip 180 degrees and end up on its roof even when parked. I was trying to use this method to detect the collision detection by driving the model towards benches and trees. Talking of trees I've managed to fly right through the branches and not crash... More work to do Davy !
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:38 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Mike, I too have strange ground handling experiences, but not like yours. For me the model will just drift in the direction of the runway, and any attempt to taxi at low speed becomes twitchy and on occasion the model would flip 180 degrees and end up on its roof even when parked. I was trying to use this method to detect the collision detection by driving the model towards benches and trees. Talking of trees I've managed to fly right through the branches and not crash... More work to do Davy !
Yeah, ground handling and collision detection are two of the things that are still on my todo list
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:16 AM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
DX files

OK i tried the managed dll files and still no love in win 7. I have a 2nd Hard disk in machine that is the 32 bit Version of Win 7...I will try that as well..but I don't want to go back to 32 bit because then I can't use my 8 megs of ram ..I will provide feedback on the 32 bit Win 7 in a bit.

Ken

Update- YAY!! I booted from the Win 7 32 bit Hard disk and installed..It worked fine...Nice for a first look at the sim...I will play some more with it as time goes on. Malc has alot of good input....One of the things I really would stress is that you may want look at the possibilities of getting it to work in 64 bit platform. Windows 7 is to be released on OCT 22, and it is like comparing XP to win 98 and makes Vista seem like a dog for an operating system, most new computers will come standard with 4 gig of memory. 32 bit operating systems will only see just over 3 gig.
Last edited by Helos36; Aug 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:57 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Ken, to a point I have to agree, in that whilst 64bit machines are now becoming more affordable, the bulk of PC's are still 32bit and expecting Davy to build a 64bit development PC might be pushing it

Having said that, it's nice of you to provide the feedback that it works on the 32bit version of W7, and I'm sure Davy will rope you in as a tester if he re-codes his app in 64bit format

This application has real potential. Looking back at the first release of CV and that other sim that appeared a while back (who's name escapes me), the performance of RC desk pilot is IMO better at this stage than those two were when launched. Obviously CV has now had a couple of years of development since that launch and has now become one to the top recommendations from this board for a cheap good performing sim, so who knows where RC desk pilot will be in two years time. And if it remains free it will probably become the most popular sim on the market.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:48 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
865 Posts
I am running a laptop with a 1.5 gig Pentium and 1 gig of ram. It uses the on board Intel video card but it does run Clearview well. Odd thing is once the terrain goes out of view I can use smoke and full screen with no problems. I really need a new laptop.

Mike
AZcrashpro is online now Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Ken,
Thank you for your attempts, I hope it was worth it
I'm glad you got it to work. Now I've got an excuse to convince my wife to buy a new 64-bit pc.

Mike,
The problem will be that your on board video card doesn't support a certain feature used (only) to render the terrain. I'll need to provide an alternative for this. I'll see what I can do for the next version, but the resulting graphics won't be as 'pretty'.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:04 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
So now we've given you all this feedback... when can we expect the next update... by Tuesday possibly ??
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
So now we've given you all this feedback... when can we expect the next update... by Tuesday possibly ??
Tuesday? That will give me the time to implement helicopters
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:46 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
Updates

LOL...Tuesday?????...Hey all good things take time....Yes I will be happy to help test....What program are you using to make the models? I might be persuaded to make a few, unless it requires me to spend a bunch of money for another 3d program. Either way I agree w/Malc_C...it has alot of potential and of course anything that will give something back to the RC community, I would like to be a part of

Ken

I just looked and the file extensions are .x (for Direct x files)...I checked and AC3D can export to Direct x file extensions. AC3D will let me export but not import .x files..I willlook into this further to see if there is a plugin
Last edited by Helos36; Aug 30, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
LOL...Tuesday?????...Hey all good things take time....Yes I will be happy to help test....What program are you using to make the models? I might be persuaded to make a few, unless it requires me to spend a bunch of money for another 3d program. Either way I agree w/Malc_C...it has alot of potential and of course anything that will give something back to the RC community, I would like to be a part of
The 3D models can be made with Metasequoia or anything that outputs .x files. The file that describes the model with all its parameters (look up the .par files) are in human-readable (or sort-of) XML format. I'm working on a easy-to-use editor for that.
Although I plan to support it, I don't suggest you start modelling just yet. I'm still adding stuff to the flight model which results in changes to the .par files. So you would have to keep changing your models as well. That's one of the reasons there's only 3 planes right now. Well, that and the fact that it takes me about a week to build one

Update: Ken, you don't need to be able to import .x files. Just save your work into any format you like and only export to .x when you want to try it in a sim. Btw, I never heard of AC3D. Looks interesting, how are your experiences with it?
Last edited by GeneralFailure; Aug 30, 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:24 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
Ac3d

That is the program I learned to make models for Clearview...60% or more of the models that comes with Clearview, I have drawn from scratch using pictures.

http://www.inivis.com/

you can check out the website for AC3D

Ken
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:33 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,547 Posts
Cool, I can't wait until next week when I get back to school and can get on the internet with my laptop, so I can try it out. Sounds really good based on others' feedback so far.

I especially like that it has a actual 3D environments to play with. Any chance of implementing a dogfighting mode like you mentioned before? If you could do that and have AI planes to fight against I can assure you I would never be able to stop playing it.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
I do plan to introduce gaming elements, but I wanted to get the basics right first. I'm not really sure now how much fun dogfighting would be: if you've flown in cockpit view you realize how manouvreable these things are and how hard it would be to 'hit' another plane. Still plenty of options though. The first gaming elements I think I want to try are red-bull type pylon racing and flour-bag bombing.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:01 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy, I think Montag has touched on something here.. It would be cool to have network functionality, so that anyone else on the same network can fly at the same time each controlling their own model within the same flying field. Then at a later stage, the ability to host a "fun fly in" and let others join in via the internet.

This is just going to get better and better... the hard part is that hopefully we won't have to wait another 8 months for you to come out with a version that includes everyone's suggestions
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
anyone noticed the add on the bill-board ?

Just wondered if anyone has noticed
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Yeah, network flying sure is on my wishlist. In fact, it will be simpler to implement than AI planes . A permanent server to connect to would be awesome, but difficult financially

My first priority now is to get it working for as many people as possible, so at the moment I'm making adjustments so that people with older pc's like Mike can still fly and I'll try to improve the installer after your suggestions.

Then I can get back to the fun part: adding features.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:46 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure
I do plan to introduce gaming elements, but I wanted to get the basics right first. I'm not really sure now how much fun dogfighting would be: if you've flown in cockpit view you realize how manouvreable these things are and how hard it would be to 'hit' another plane. Still plenty of options though. The first gaming elements I think I want to try are red-bull type pylon racing and flour-bag bombing.
Of course. I'm glad to hear you're still thinking of adding those types of things. Your other ideas sound good too.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:13 PM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Hmmm...it freezes on me after a few seconds. While it runs, it runs fine.

The freeze is just a BAM! stop, like a screenshot with sound. Framerate is decent and graphics are good.

My PC is way out of date, so the problem is probably in my machine. I can troubleshoot, but since this is an early Beta, it ain't that big a deal.

Scratch-built with mobile Athlon 1.2G; 640M RAM; jam-packed C drive; Windows XP Pro; Comodo Firewall and Avira Anti-virus running.

I'd like to see helis, and maybe a peer-to-peer connecting system where all you need is the IP address of a host machine and maybe a password to connect. That way someone with a hoss machine could host a "fun fly", or you (General Failure) could set up a beast machine that you could maybe charge a buck or two to connect to at any time.

BTW...General Failure - how are General Alert, Major Dilemma, Corporal Punishment and Private Parts doing ?
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:13 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizack
Hmmm...it freezes on me after a few seconds.

Scratch-built with mobile Athlon 1.2G; 640M RAM; jam-packed C drive; Windows XP Pro; Comodo Firewall and Avira Anti-virus running.
I might be wrong, but that is quite a low spec machine, especially the RAM !! Its a wonder how you got XP pro running in that limited amount, let alone any application.

Oh and you forgot Major Development... he's a very positive person
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:52 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
I have a loooooong reputation for being the guy to go to to make your PC work when it shouldn't. It was only recently (about a year ago) that I upgraded from a 900MHz Athlon T-bird system (the chip that looks like a Super Nintendo cartridge). I never overclock, either. That's why I said I could troubleshoot, but it's overkill for an early beta.

I've had Clearview running smoothly for more than 2 years.

The secret is turning off all that pretty, but useless, crap that Windows thinks you need to make your system work.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Updated version available

Hi everybody,
Thank you everyone who was brave enough to test.
I have uploaded an updated version to the website.

Release notes:
  • Added a menu option for low quality scenery graphics: this won't look good (yet), but should accomodate people with low end graphics cards (Mike & Chizack, you can try again ). This will also decrease memory requirements.
  • Fixed an installer bug that with some people could cause a crash when changing a menu option (configuration file was readonly on Vista).
  • Improved the ground handling somewhat.
  • Several minor changes.

The new version can be downloaded on the download page of rcdeskpilot.com

I've also been experimenting with packing DirectX 9 with the sim, but this leads to an installer of around 60 Mb (compared to the 7 now), so I'm holding back that one for now.

I've noted all other suggestions, but I can't code that fast

Sorry Malc, no helicopters yet

Davy
Old Sep 02, 2009, 05:31 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy,

Ground handling is way way better... My main gripes (apart from no helicopters ) are:

1) - There is no EXIT option from the menu so you have to close via the X top right of screen or hit esc

2) - It would be nice if the application remembered your previous settings, rather than opening in a default window. I've set it up to run at 1440 x 900 on my 19" monitor, but each time close and open the application it's in a small window.

3) - I can still get into space at around 1400 meters altitude - for me this a a bug, with the clouds being set too low. I would suggest making the virtual world a lot larger with an altitude of 5000m

Once these have been resolved then, if it were my application, I would start working on the collision of objects like trees and billboards...

Oh and please get rid of the gravity sucks image.... and just reset the model

Other than that its still great to use
Old Sep 04, 2009, 02:51 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Davy,

Ground handling is way way better... My main gripes (apart from no helicopters ) are:

1) - There is no EXIT option from the menu so you have to close via the X top right of screen or hit esc

2) - It would be nice if the application remembered your previous settings, rather than opening in a default window. I've set it up to run at 1440 x 900 on my 19" monitor, but each time close and open the application it's in a small window.

3) - I can still get into space at around 1400 meters altitude - for me this a a bug, with the clouds being set too low. I would suggest making the virtual world a lot larger with an altitude of 5000m

Once these have been resolved then, if it were my application, I would start working on the collision of objects like trees and billboards...

Oh and please get rid of the gravity sucks image.... and just reset the model

Other than that its still great to use
Fixed 1), 2), 3) and the "gravity sucks" image (replaced it with a crashing sound). Haven't released it yet though.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:43 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Blimey you work fast

Sounds like you are working on a few extras (heli's possibly) before you post the next release up for download
Old Sep 06, 2009, 05:01 AM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Nice progress since a few months ago! (still honored to have been the very first tester on your development machine )

Regarding including Directx9 in the installer: 60MB isn't that big, and probably a lot of people will need dx9, so I would include it and in the installer. Together with the .net installer, it would be a 1-click, 1-size-fits-all installation.

It is true that the flight model is now way much better then FMS. Certainly the glider is showing very realistic flight characteristics. Flying in a gusty wind very much feels like reality!

If you want to work out the Win 7 64bit problem, I have a machine available.
kodel is offline Find More Posts by kodel
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:19 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,547 Posts
I too was able to install it but am having problems getting it to run. I'm running Windows XP, and I made sure to install DirectX 9 and the .NET 2.0 framework, then restart the computer before trying. When I click the shortcut, I immediately get an error report, as you can see in the picture below.

Any idea what's wrong?
Old Sep 06, 2009, 03:43 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
RCSim?

Correct me if I'm wrong..but I believe you are in the wrong thread...This Thread is for R/C Desk Pilot..not RCSim

Ken
Old Sep 06, 2009, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong..but I believe you are in the wrong thread...This Thread is for R/C Desk Pilot..not RCSim
Unfortunately I don't think it's the wrong thread. Internally the RCDeskPilot.exe still contains the name RCSim.exe (a remnant from before it had a name ).

I've sent Montag a PM requesting more information, more specifically the data behind the 'what does this error report contain' link. At least I hope I have, because the PM doesn't appear in my 'sent items' folder. If any more people have experienced issues getting the sim to run, I would love to hear about it. Either here or through email.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 03:58 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
I too was able to install it but am having problems getting it to run. I'm running Windows XP, and I made sure to install DirectX 9 and the .NET 2.0 framework, then restart the computer before trying. When I click the shortcut, I immediately get an error report, as you can see in the picture below.

Any idea what's wrong?
Assuming you are in the correct thread, posting the details in the event viewer will help Davy diagnose what the error might be.

If you're not sure how to find the details, let us know and I or someone can advise
Old Sep 06, 2009, 03:59 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy, you beat me too it !
Old Sep 06, 2009, 05:29 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,547 Posts
The error report comes up immediately when I click the link, I don't get a splash screen. Attached is what is in the link labeled 'What does this error report contain?'

When I click the link in the next tab, 'View the contents of the error report,' I get a box that has a whole lot of data in it that unfortunately I can't copy and paste. I'm attaching a screenshot of the top part of it that hopefully has most of the important information.

Dan
Old Sep 07, 2009, 12:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Hi Dan,
thank you for the error details.
It is the same error as Malc got at first. In his case it indicated an incorrect DirectX version. Could you check if you've got a folder named:
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\1.0.2911.0
The version number at the end is important because it is the minimum version that R/C Desk Pilot expects. If this folder is not present on your pc it means you need to install a more recent DirectX version. The one here should do the trick.
I will follow Kodels advice and add DirectX to the installer in the next release.