HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:40 AM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure
Hi sonicjet, thank you very much for reporting that! I think I've fixed it in the installer I just put online. If not, you can click 'cancel' when it says it needs to install .NET and the installer will continue.
Davy
Sorry to make more problems...but it still does not work,although it is now installing x64,the funny thing is that in the header it mentions sp2 while in the error report it says sp1 is not compatible with the vista OS,is there any way you can make an option to install without the .net framework?
Maybe a flag somewhere?
Cancel also cancels the installer too.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:58 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
Quote:
Your racing time of 16.4 seconds is amazing! I've never even approached that time

Davy
So what's everyone's best time? I got 12.8 seconds with the P-51.

Dan
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP

Dan
I can make the second gate in that time.

Mike
AZcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:38 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet
is there any way you can make an option to install without the .net framework?
LOL - poor Davy...

If you look back through the thread Davy originally packaged the installer without the dot net and direct x components, but the consensus was that it would be nice to have these all included to make things easy for the user...

The only way forward would be for Davy to package a 32bit installer version and a 64bit version, or to have another option in the installation wizard that allows the user to select which version (32bit or 64bit) to install, or a custom installation that allow the user to install just the application and not the prerequisites . The only downside of this would be the size of the download, which I know Davy was hoping to keep to a minimum
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet
Sorry to make more problems...but it still does not work,although it is now installing x64,the funny thing is that in the header it mentions sp2 while in the error report it says sp1 is not compatible with the vista OS,is there any way you can make an option to install without the .net framework?
Maybe a flag somewhere?
Cancel also cancels the installer too.
Oh no, you're not making more problems, you're actually helping me out! I should have tested better, but I don't have a x64 system I can debug on.
I uploaded another installer that just continues in case of issues with the dependencies. If you don't want to download the dependency again, you can click the "No" button on the window below (I've got a dutch version of Windows):

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc c
The only downside of this would be the size of the download, which I know Davy was hoping to keep to a minimum
I tried to work around that: the installer should download DirectX and .NET only when needed during installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP

Dan
That's an amazing time. I 'm going to have to make it more challenging next version! I'm actually glad that you like the racing. I wasn't sure it would be well received as it is a gaming feature, but it was fun to build

Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:02 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
Quote:
I'm actually glad that you like the racing. I wasn't sure it would be well received as it is a gaming feature, but it was fun to build

Davy
Definitely. I get bored just flying around before too long. I think sims should be be:

1) Accurate physically. Yours is very impressive in this regard for such an early release.
2) Inclusive of at least enough models to cover most of the model aircraft types. Including specific models should not be a priority. Of course, different models take time to develop and would not be expected in a very early free release.
3) Fun to play. No matter how realistic your simulator is, if using it starts feeling like a chore it's not going to get used. Things like pylon racing and combat (if you choose to include that at some point) really set your sim apart from other free/cheap simulators.

Other things like graphics and number of landscapes either fall within those three categories or are secondary priorities.

Dan
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:04 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Hey general,Thanks that works and the sim is great!
Very fun and by far the best flight model I have seen in any sim under $100.
Good Job,This should replace fms as the best free sim,it is way better at the sim part of R/C sim.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:13 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
865 Posts
Some comments from the guys I work with at the airlines.

The wind is GREAT especially with the gust of wind. They turned the wind and gust all the way up. Then they were having a blast trying to take off and land. With the planes just sitting on the runway they were being blown backwards.

Smoke needs to last longer so they can do sky writing. I don't think this is needed but they thought it would be cool.

Overall they thought it was a great sim. We do sit around and play on the sims when things get slow so they have played on a few different ones to compare this one to.

Mike
AZcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:11 PM
jsn
Dis-member
USA, VA, Ashburn
Joined Mar 2003
142 Posts
I just want to thank GeneralFailure for putting this out. I know a ton of work has gone into it. It runs great for me. thanks alot
jsn is offline Find More Posts by jsn
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:33 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,798 Posts
I'm definiately downloading this one when i get home. GeneralFailure, if you wan't another regular error tester, i would be more than happy to test. Have you thought about a marketing scheme for this when you get it past the Beta stage? You could just make it a 10 software download, i would pay for that if it was describe as good a RF G3.

Keep up the good work and please add fun fly over T'internet.
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:29 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz
I'm definiately downloading this one when i get home. GeneralFailure, if you wan't another regular error tester, i would be more than happy to test. Have you thought about a marketing scheme for this when you get it past the Beta stage? You could just make it a 10 software download, i would pay for that if it was describe as good a RF G3.

Keep up the good work and please add fun fly over T'internet.
I think his whole intent is for it to be free to the user, and have r/c companies pay for advertising (thus paying for the sim).

I like the pylon racing. It's just toooo much fun.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:26 PM
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,579 Posts
I tried the simulator and it's working very well.

I am interested in robotpilot programming. Interfacing the robot to a simulator could help a lot for me and for many others interested in such algorithms.

Could you please add a simple API to your simulator to interface it to an external application? Commercial simulators doesn't publish such an interface, probaly because not too much customers interested while it makes dongle hacking easy.

I mean, calling a function:
- passes aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle to the simulator
- gets parameters like plane x,y,z position and orientation angles
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:33 PM
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2008
103 Posts
Works very well for me. Is there a way to scale the stick inputs?
Thanks
melkor is online now Find More Posts by melkor
Old Oct 24, 2009, 04:46 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz
GeneralFailure, if you wan't another regular error tester, i would be more than happy to test.
Thanks for the offer! Maybe I'll just add a public beta section to the site with a beta version every now and then. I'll definitely keep posting new versions here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster
I think his whole intent is for it to be free to the user, and have r/c companies pay for advertising (thus paying for the sim).
That's right. I hope to convince more manufacturers to let me include their airplanes, helicopters and advertising in return for a commission on resulting sales. This will hopefully allow me to expand the sim while still keeping it free for the users. Even if this won't work, it's still a fun project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmormota
Could you please add a simple API to your simulator to interface it to an external application? Commercial simulators doesn't publish such an interface, probaly because not too much customers interested while it makes dongle hacking easy.
I thought of this, but didn't know whether the need existed. Isn't there any good software around to do this already?
I was planning on adding an API for creating a pluggable flightmodel. I guess this could be used for testing autopilots as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkor
Works very well for me. Is there a way to scale the stick inputs?
Not at the moment (unless your controller supports it of course). It's on my todo list.

The rest of my todo list for the coming months (in random order): hopefully more planes and helicopters, retractable landing gear and flaps, API/SDK, bombing, multiple sceneries, indoor flying, improve installer again, slope soaring, collision detection, improve ground handling and I'm probably forgetting something.

Cheers and thanks for all the (mostly positive) feedback! That keeps me motivated!
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Oct 24, 2009, 06:25 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
Quote:
The rest of my todo list for the coming months (in random order): hopefully more planes and helicopters, retractable landing gear and flaps, API/SDK, bombing, multiple sceneries, indoor flying, improve installer again, slope soaring, collision detection, improve ground handling and I'm probably forgetting something.

Cheers and thanks for all the (mostly positive) feedback! That keeps me motivated!
Davy
Sounds great! Can't wait for that.