HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:31 PM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
No harm in asking :-) It's how I know what to do next. There are two reasons I haven't done a repository:
1. As a semi-commercial sim I'm not planning to host any brand-related aircraft on my site without cooperation/approval of the brand itself. So to avoid disputes/confusion, I've decided not to host any aircraft files on my site.
2. I really like working on the sim. I don't like working on the website so much, as it takes away from the sim-programming-time. Also any site with user-contributions takes time moderating & updating, which I rather spend improving the sim.
So I'm grateful a wonderful forum like RCGroups exists. Of course I wouldn't blame anyone for creating a repository website ***hint***.

Cheers,
Davy
Davy,
I acknowledge that you are doing a great job with the sim and I don't want you to stop.
Regarding a single stop/repository for the models, as you are the "owner" of this thread, is it possible for you to copy and paste the various models onto page 1 of this thread??

Just a thought.
Many thanks to you and all the contributors.
Cheers,
Peter
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:02 AM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
Davy,
I acknowledge that you are doing a great job with the sim and I don't want you to stop.
Regarding a single stop/repository for the models, as you are the "owner" of this thread, is it possible for you to copy and paste the various models onto page 1 of this thread??

Just a thought.
Many thanks to you and all the contributors.
Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter, about your question to Davy... sure it is possible to hunt down/copy/paste every plane made and list it in one location, but that takes time and effort as stated in Davy's quote (point #2) you yourself posted.

I agree with you, it would be nice to have a centralized location. I'm afraid it's not going to happen unless someone like yourself comes up with a alternative solution, gets inspired and makes it so. This is a community after all and one person can't do everything by themselves.

If you hadn't noticed, Davy has already linked a list of contributors in post number one.

Glad you like the contributions that other people make for this wonderful free simulator.

Cheers Eves
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Last edited by Eves; Nov 03, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:18 AM
Joined Jun 2009
171 Posts
Just downloaded this sim and I wanted to say Thanks to GeneralFailure for all the hard work! This is a top notch free sim and I think it's very well done!

Now we just need to start getting some EDF jets in it!
MrEvoMan is offline Find More Posts by MrEvoMan
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:21 AM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Nice one kepa, I think this is the first seaplane (unless I'm forgetting one of Frankys creations). I actually like the sound. Water is also on my personal wishlist.
Thanks! I'll eagerly wait for the water. No rush thoug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
Kepa - Nice to see a watercraft, and a unique design at that. It flies beautifully.
BTW, I have one in the works myself.
The thanks for the flying qualities must go to WMD who designed the original parkflier. It just seemed to beg for a slightly deeper hull with a step and bigger sponsons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metman View Post
I have been called a soundsculptor..! that's my tweeting name but I never tweet. I have 12 years of CUBASE under my belt and mixed/mastered lots of CD's.

Let me try to help out.. perhaps a PM..? Anytime..
Thank you for your offer! I'm actually just starting to get to know Cubase in a semi-professional environment. I can record stuff but I've yet to learn what exactly to do with the material.

The idea was/is to have some intermodulation between two motors that don't turn at exactly the same frequency. I first tried to use the brushless motor sound from RCDP, one track straight and the other reversed, but the sound clip is too uniform to get any modulation. But after trying the nitro engine sound in similar fashion I got at least some "beating". I'll post the updated files in my next post.

-kepa
kepa is offline Find More Posts by kepa
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:27 AM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Water Jackal update

As I mentioned in my previous post, I managed to put at least some twin motor effect into the sound. Here's the model with the updated sound.

-kepa
kepa is offline Find More Posts by kepa
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:22 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Motor Sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepa View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post, I managed to put at least some twin motor effect into the sound. Here's the model with the updated sound.

-kepa
Very nice job. I know how tricky it is.

Suggestion: In the sim, the full power setting may be generating too high a frequency. I think you can set that frequency in the editor. You should also use the full stereo field as it will enhance the multiple engine sound.

Not sure how you did it, but this is how I would go about getting the beating of multiple engines. We can compare notes. Others might be interested as well.

Note that you need to get a recording that's been done near the middle of the frequency range of the engine. The sim will slow it down and speed it up I think.. I never did ask Davy what the sim actually does with motor sound files it gets. Best to do any recording outside. You get too many resonance peaks in any room. Don't mike the plane too close.. a few feet or so. Not too far or you'll lose low frequencies.

1. Get a section of a recording to loop smoothly.. not always easy. Use Zero Crossing setting if you need to do any cutting.
2. Use eq to make sure you get enough low frequencies in your clip. Without that you'll be creating beats from high frequencies only.. much trickier but can be done. Will likely start sounding too "screamy" at full throttle.
3. Get rid of any and all major (more than a few db) eq spikes. When there are any spikes, they will whistle and be very annoying at low sim motor speeds. I have Isotope Ozone plugin which gives me a nice scope to work with.
4. Duplicate the track so you have 2 or 3 or 4 engines to play..same loop (panned left and right to taste).
5. Do a slight pitch shift (5 or 10 cents) of track two and listen for the beat when played against track 1. The more the shift the faster the beats so you may have to try a few shifts. I use Melodyne plugin so I can do it on the fly.
You can also try a pitch shift curve but sparingly if a very short loop. Do the same for any other tracks. When it sounds nice and full, export this into another stereo track..
6. Go over it again to take out any EQ spikes that may have come up in the mix.
7. Try it in the sim. You may have to adjust the volume (you can use the maximizer) as currently the sim does its own mix of sounds. I found I needed to lower it some from zero normalization so I could still hear the wind!! Depending on the recording you may want to use some compression to bring out detail, but sparingly I've found.

If that doesn't work, I would eq the duplicate tracks to reduce the mid/high frequencies a lot and just work with the lower frequencies to get the beats...

Then...take a nice long break to get the motor sounds to leave your brain...

Hope that's useful.
Fred
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:27 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,133 Posts
started a addon plane thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332975 we'll see if i can keep up
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:10 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
started a addon plane thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332975 we'll see if i can keep up
Big thanks from me...
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:18 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
+1 thanks

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:27 PM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Thanks!
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Nov 04, 2010, 04:46 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Wilfor! I've added a link to your thread on my website.
This is a great community!

Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:08 PM
Joined Jun 2009
171 Posts
We still need some EDF's!

If I knew how to make them, I may, but I don't.
MrEvoMan is offline Find More Posts by MrEvoMan
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:25 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
There needs to be a tutorial on these models, I know how to make them in sketch up but i don't know how to make the parts move and everything after that.

j3tman,
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:44 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvoMan View Post
We still need some EDF's!

If I knew how to make them, I may, but I don't.
If i knew what EDF'S were, I'd know a tiny bit more about this fascinating hobby.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:58 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Electric Ducted Fan jet, do a quick google search you'll get loads of info, or just go over to the electric jet section on rcgps.

j3tman,