HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:36 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Thanks to GenFailure I got the glider going and it is fabulous.. my first sim and I'm lovin' every minute of it. Very realistic response, a little faster plane than my old Gentle Lady, and will be quite similar to my Radian... With some work and patience, the audio/PropoPlus route works great as an inexpensive interface...
Metman is online now Find More Posts by Metman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:28 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Hi everybody,
a new version (0.1.1) is available for download over at the rcdeskpilot.com.

Changes include:
  • an improved flight model
  • pylon racing!
  • computer controlled aircraft make the sky look less empty.
  • support for windows 7 and 64 bit systems.
  • a new "tail cam" viewing mode.
  • an improved installer that checks for necessary components.
  • many small improvements
And last but not least, the inclusion of a BMKdesigns.net P-51.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. A special thanks to Metman, Zoom and Malc C for their support and expertise which help make this a better sim.

As always, suggestions to make this a better sim are welcome.

Davy

RC Desk Pilot - a free R/C sim (2 min 39 sec)
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:12 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Davy, it's coming along real fine. I've e-mailed a few comments to you last night, and it's nice to see an additional model... I'll let you off this time for it not being a helicopter.... maybe see one added in the next release ????
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:07 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
I like it a lot. The physics model is definitely a lot better than FMS (at least, since the last time I played it).

A couple things:

-With the pylon racing, I think you should make the pylons taller, maybe 50%. It's pretty hard to fly through them so low to the ground. Also, it would be nice to have a waypoint arrow at the top of the screen so you know which direction the next set of pylons is.

-I like the new tail camera, but I also liked the chase camera that was a little "loose" - not exactly fixed to the plane, but almost. Kind of wish it was still there...

This next issue is an individual one. I'm sure it has something to do with my graphics settings, but I don't know how to get rid of it. Basically, I get these light-colored triangles that flash on and off all the time when I have the scenery detail set to high, and also the landscape in general looks kind of dark. If I set the detail to low it's lighter and I don't get those triangles, but it's also low detail (as expected). Any idea how to fix this?

You're doing great work. I wish I knew how to create video games, because I'd love to make a flight simulator.

Dan
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:09 AM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
I'm having so much fun with this. The pylon racing is very addicting.

Pylon Racing (0 min 31 sec)
Old Oct 21, 2009, 03:29 AM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
nice to see the progress you're making. I know what I'll be doing this evening!
kodel is offline Find More Posts by kodel
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:41 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
This next issue is an individual one. I'm sure it has something to do with my graphics settings, but I don't know how to get rid of it. Basically, I get these light-colored triangles that flash on and off all the time when I have the scenery detail set to high, and also the landscape in general looks kind of dark. If I set the detail to low it's lighter and I don't get those triangles, but it's also low detail (as expected). Any idea how to fix this?
Hi Dan, it looks like your videocard doesn't support Pixel Shader 2.0 or maybe an update of the driver might fix it. What videocard do you have?

Your racing time of 16.4 seconds is amazing! I've never even approached that time

Davy
Old Oct 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure
Hi Dan, it looks like your videocard doesn't support Pixel Shader 2.0 or maybe an update of the driver might fix it. What videocard do you have?

Your racing time of 16.4 seconds is amazing! I've never even approached that time

Davy
Hey,

I'm using a laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Card. The driver is Omega 3.8.442. I'm not sure if there are any newer ones available. Based on this page it looks like the video card has pixel shader 3.0.

I found that for the pylon racing it became a lot easier if I zoomed out a little bit, because then the angle is wide enough to be able to see the next pylon as you're going through the current one.
Last edited by Montag DP; Oct 21, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
I'm using a laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Card. The driver is Omega 3.8.442. I'm not sure if there are any newer ones available. Based on this page it looks like the video card has pixel shader 3.0.
Hmmm... that card should definitely support the high detail mode.
According to this page the latest driver is 4.8.442 and is based on a newer version of the ATI catalyst driver. I can't guarantee that will fix it though. I only have nvidia cards myself so can't look around in the video settings.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 02:45 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure
Hmmm... that card should definitely support the high detail mode.
According to this page the latest driver is 4.8.442 and is based on a newer version of the ATI catalyst driver. I can't guarantee that will fix it though. I only have nvidia cards myself so can't look around in the video settings.
Yeah, actually I think that's the driver I have, but for some reason on the display settings it says 3.8.442 instead of 4.8.442. In the driver's folder it says 4.8.442. I remember noticing that when I was installing it.

Are there any other settings that might have an effect? For example, anisotropic filtering or anti-aliasing?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Are there any other settings that might have an effect? For example, anisotropic filtering or anti-aliasing?
I don't think anisotropic filtering or anti-aliasing are going to matter. It looks like there's something wrong with the normals used by the vertex shader.
Anybody out there with an ATI card with a similar issue?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 03:30 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
I used to get graphics issues like that described when playing silent hunter III on my previous PC. Thus used an ATI Radion 128mb card which also supported the pixel shading. After a lot of debate on various forums I changed the card for an Nvidia based card and the problem went away. Never go to the bottom of the cause, other than it appears to be a generic issue in the way the ATI chipset draw the screen.

The problem is that in a laptop your options are somewhat limited
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
I used to get graphics issues like that described when playing silent hunter III on my previous PC. Thus used an ATI Radion 128mb card which also supported the pixel shading. After a lot of debate on various forums I changed the card for an Nvidia based card and the problem went away. Never go to the bottom of the cause, other than it appears to be a generic issue in the way the ATI chipset draw the screen.

The problem is that in a laptop your options are somewhat limited
I guess I'll be sticking with the low detail terrain then. It's not that bad looking, after all.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 07:28 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Big problem,Rcdeskpilot is inop with vista 64 machines as it thinks that it needs .net X86 and tries to install it just to find out that you are in x64,I have ms .net x64 already installed!
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:42 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet
Big problem,Rcdeskpilot is inop with vista 64 machines as it thinks that it needs .net X86 and tries to install it just to find out that you are in x64,I have ms .net x64 already installed!
Hi sonicjet, thank you very much for reporting that! I think I've fixed it in the installer I just put online. If not, you can click 'cancel' when it says it needs to install .NET and the installer will continue.
Davy