Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:42 PM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Improved version of my Avro Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Kepa,
nice Vulcan! Flies great for me! Increasing the lift (and drag) coefficient has the same effect as increasing the wing area. For the collision part: create the belly points as gear points and the rest as collision points with a higher crash resistance for the gear points. You might want to try to add texturing. If you can't get the propdisk to be transparent, you can always use one of the propdisks of the default model (and reposition and rescale it).
Thanks! When I built my Vulcan I was surprised how well it turned out. It was my first delta wing, and the first time I actually touched Depron! The sim model flies almost exactly like the real thing. There's still room for some small tweaks but nothing particularly obvious.

Edit: I might try playing with less elevator up trim and a more rearward CoG. The sim model climbs just a bit too much with full power, and without power and with full up elevator the real one lands with her fuselage precisely horizontal.

I had already set up the LG and crash points like you suggest and set them for the same, quite low, crash resistance on purpose. This is a belly lander Depron model after all and it really doesn't matter which side up you land if you don't do it too hard.

I was just happy to get (almost) everything together. I've flown the actual prototype in its natural grey depron color almost ten months now and am finally considering giving her a paint job.

BTW Davy. Thank you! You've actually made me set up my first Windows computer ever. I've been a Linux user since 1996 but I just have to have RC Desk Pilot. I still have some display issues to sort out but fortunately I have permission to use my GF's Vista laptop when she's asleep...

So, here's an improved version of my Vulcan. I painted her in the white nuclear bomber color scheme (and just forgot to paint the control surfaces but it's OK). The markings are those of my own imaginary air force. The propeller disk is now transparent, and you might want to try the gear switch as well...

-kepa
kepa is offline Find More Posts by kepa
Last edited by kepa; Sep 20, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:34 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I really like the vulcan its an awesome plane I'll do some of my own preferences to tonight but great plane. I noticed it had a bomb bay! if only bombs came out.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:16 PM
Wyoming USA
Joined Aug 2009
55 Posts
j3tman, Your extra is alot of fun, great job. You should make a 3D Yak-54 next.
rcairplanenut2 is offline Find More Posts by rcairplanenut2
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I didn't make the plane only edited it but thanks

I will make a video or set by step proccess on how to do because today I was hovering a pusherp prop jet!

j3tman,
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:57 PM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Kepa,

Nice job on the Vulcan.

It's lots of fun! Thanks
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1 Posts
I've been searching around trying to figure out how to add planes. So far the only answers I've found say to drop extracted files into the C:\Program Files\RC Desk Pilot\aircraft folder.

I'm using Windows 7 and don't have this folder here. Nor can I find an aircraft folder anywhere on my computer. The planes that came with the sim are in the DATA folder. Dropping files there doesn't work.

What do I do?
kvette77 is offline Find More Posts by kvette77
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
You to download the lastest version of the sim do be able to get the aircraft folder.

j3tman,
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:52 AM
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvette77 View Post
I've been searching around trying to figure out how to add planes. So far the only answers I've found say to drop extracted files into the C:\Program Files\RC Desk Pilot\aircraft folder.

I'm using Windows 7 and don't have this folder here. Nor can I find an aircraft folder anywhere on my computer. The planes that came with the sim are in the DATA folder. Dropping files there doesn't work.

What do I do?
Hi kvette77,

Make sure you've downloaded the BETA version of the program from the site. After installation, there should be a directory made in your Documents folder:
Libraries > Documents > RC Desk Pilot > Aircraft.

You put the user created aircraft in there. Hope you're able to get it working.
Mujiber is offline Find More Posts by Mujiber
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:46 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepa View Post
BTW Davy. Thank you! You've actually made me set up my first Windows computer ever. I've been a Linux user since 1996 but I just have to have RC Desk Pilot. I still have some display issues to sort out but fortunately I have permission to use my GF's Vista laptop when she's asleep...

So, here's an improved version of my Vulcan. I painted her in the white nuclear bomber color scheme (and just forgot to paint the control surfaces but it's OK). The markings are those of my own imaginary air force. The propeller disk is now transparent, and you might want to try the gear switch as well...

-kepa
Kepa, you built a very nice airplane! I like the nuclear white, love the bomb bay doors! Any plans for the other 2 V-bombers?
If you've installed windows, you must have really wanted to fly :-). I'm not sure if RCDP would work on Wine/Mono. Probably not as it requires the Managed (.NET) version of DirectX 9.1. Make sure to not judge windows on Vista (let's all just forget about that one ).
I've added a link to your post on my add-on aircraft blogpost.

Cheers!
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:53 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
What's the best tool to create and edit the DirectX 3D .x image files? Can Google SketchUp .skp files be converted?
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:58 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
What's the best tool to create and edit the DirectX 3D .x image files? Can Google SketchUp .skp files be converted?
Yep, Frankyfly is an expert on that. He uses sketchup for all his models. More info in his post here. Just watch out not to create too much polys.

Looking forward to seeing your creations!
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:04 AM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
Kepa,

Nice job on the Vulcan.

It's lots of fun! Thanks
Quote:
Kepa, you built a very nice airplane! I like the nuclear white, love the bomb bay doors!
I'm glad you like it! The real model is a hoot as well. Perhaps you too would like it? My build log is at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1141491 but i've almost finished designing an improved version and need to build it.

Davy, it would be cool to be able to drop something from that bomb bay in the sim... Of course these things aren't the primary functions in a flight sim.

Quote:
Any plans for the other 2 V-bombers?
Who could possibly love resist the butt ugly unique figure of the Victor? My desk and pile of plans and ideas to build are overflowing, but who knows...

Quote:
If you've installed windows, you must have really wanted to fly :-). I'm not sure if RCDP would work on Wine/Mono. Probably not as it requires the Managed (.NET) version of DirectX 9.1. Make sure to not judge windows on Vista (let's all just forget about that one ).
Oh, I haven't been able to avoid Windows completely. I know several people who don't (or won't) have Linux (yet?).

I've tried RCDP with Wine and it doesn't work. I get an error message, "RCSim has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.", before any other feedback on the screen. This message is probably from Wine and not the sim.

It would be cool to be able to run the sim on Linux and Wine but I guess this means more work for the Wine team.

Quote:
I've added a link to your post on my add-on aircraft blogpost.
Cool!

-kepa
kepa is offline Find More Posts by kepa
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:50 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Sep 2008
65 Posts
looks good, however, it is not compatible with my E-sky FMS radio. Any chance of that being a possible upgrade?
Bigb1011 is offline Find More Posts by Bigb1011
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:07 AM
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigb1011 View Post
looks good, however, it is not compatible with my E-sky FMS radio. Any chance of that being a possible upgrade?
I've got the E-Sky 0905A 4ch USB controller and have no problems using it with RD Desk Pilot. It shows up as "ACD" in controls menu in RC Desk Pilot. Is it just not showing up, or is it not responding correctly to inputs?
Mujiber is offline Find More Posts by Mujiber