HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 01:18 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
That throttle problem use to happen to me but you just need to go to the control section of the sim and calibrate your transmitter.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJohn View Post
Davy,

I have some general observations to relate after being a faithful user of this terrific sim. These may only apply to my equipment, but I have found:

1. Every so often, when I pull up the sim, the Cessna is sitting on the runway with the motor at a very rapid idle. To cure that condition, I exit the sim, pull out my ESky TX plug from the USB port. I then let it rest 15-20 seconds, and replug, and all is well again!

2. In order to get the various motors to idle down to a crawl or even stop, I have to pull the trottle trim lever on my ESky TX completely down to the bottom.

3. To avoid needing to constantly hold in a little up while flying most of the models, I also have pulled full up into my elevator trim lever.

4. For maximum enjoyment, I select the smoke option even on electric-powered craft. It makes it so much easier to track the plane without going to Autozoom.

As I said at the outset, these issues may be limited to my Toshiba Satellite lap-top (Vista) and my ESky controller. Whatever, if my comments can be helpful to someone I'll be pleased.

JerseyJohn
Hi JerseyJohn,
1. haven't heard that one. It might be that your USB port delivers just enough, or not enough current to the controller. Hook it up to a powered USB hub to be sure. I can't really imagine this to be a software problem except that the sim only recognizes the controller if it's plugged in before starting it.

2. J3tman is right. This should be fixed after calibrating the controller (button available in the controls menu of the latest beta).

3. This is either related with 2. or because my models are badly trimmed. You can adjust this to your liking by changing the CoG setting with the aircraft editor. I'm reworking most models for the new flight model so they'll fly a bit different in the next version (hopefully better).

4. I've received a number of tips for new views and have some ideas myself, hopefully I'll find the time to implement them

I appreciate the comments, it let's me know on what to focus.

Cheers,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:38 PM
NJ + FL
Joined May 2003
17 Posts
What has happened to Frankyfly? Is he on vacation? Is he sick? I always look forward to his two or three new planes per week.

JerseyJohn
JerseyJohn is offline Find More Posts by JerseyJohn
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:35 PM
Joined Apr 2007
19 Posts
Hi, Davy,

Thanks for your hard work and kind sharing.

I have been using RCDesktop with my Tx.

Is there any way to use the mouse instead of a Tx?

Thanks
lnewqban is offline Find More Posts by lnewqban
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:34 PM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
ORCA - Slope Soaring

Yes, where is that Franky anyhow? I hope things are well.

The Radian is still in the shop, but here's something to tide you over.

I found the Orca - Pitcheron, designed by Harley Michaelis while searching for a fast glider ...I love soaring.
The look of this plane caught my eye and until I started to research and draw this 3D model I realized there was no elevator, rudder or ailerons. The only control surfaces are the independent moving wings. So cool!

Learn more about the Orca and Harley here.

This sim model is set up for soaring. You can tow and thermal, but I set the CoG back for more speed slope soaring action.
The speed was not fast enough for me so I cheated and added a small amount of silent throttle if you choose to use it. I also added some ambient sound effects to put you in the seaside mood.

So, kick off your shoes and stick those toes in the water.
Enjoy....
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:04 AM
Italy
Joined Sep 2004
791 Posts
Greetings from IRELAND.

Hello everybody !!

JJ you got it, I'm spending my holidays on the blue hills of Ireland, drinking a GUINNES stout and learning flying my first stunt kite.

I'm relaxing and enjoying this new hobby.

I'll be back in action next week.

Cheers

Franky
frankyfly is offline Find More Posts by frankyfly
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:22 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3 Posts
3D models, but unable to use rc desk pilot editor

I cannot get my rc desk pilot editor to work, so I cant make my own planes . However, I have the Direct x files needed if anyone is interested in using them on their on in the rc desk pilot editor and posting the results here. I have as of right now 2 WWII planes:

a P-82 Twin Mustang
a Doriner Do 335
(not avalible at the moment, but I'm also working on a WWI Fokker DII)

Just ask me for the one(s) you want

Btw, the reason the editor wont work, is because i am unable to get any control surfaces to move. Maybe someone could help me figure out what is wrong.
tboyflyar is offline Find More Posts by tboyflyar
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:27 PM
Joined Dec 2009
9 Posts
Control surface problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyflyar View Post
I cannot get my rc desk pilot editor to work, so I cant make my own planes . However, I have the Direct x files needed if anyone is interested in using them on their on in the rc desk pilot editor and posting the results here. I have as of right now 2 WWII planes:

a P-82 Twin Mustang
a Doriner Do 335

Btw, the reason the editor wont work, is because i am unable to get any control surfaces to move. Maybe someone could help me figure out what is wrong.
post you P 82 objects including you par file and will look at
Elam_Serber is offline Find More Posts by Elam_Serber
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:26 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewqban View Post
Hi, Davy,

Thanks for your hard work and kind sharing.

I have been using RCDesktop with my Tx.

Is there any way to use the mouse instead of a Tx?

Thanks
Hi there!
Currently you can't use the mouse. If there is no controller or joystick attached you can use the numeric keyboard but that not exactly realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyfly View Post
Hello everybody !!

JJ you got it, I'm spending my holidays on the blue hills of Ireland, drinking a GUINNES stout and learning flying my first stunt kite.

I'm relaxing and enjoying this new hobby.

I'll be back in action next week.

Cheers

Franky
Have a great vacation Franky! And remember: don't drink and fly, but fly and drink
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyflyar View Post

a P-82 Twin Mustang
a Doriner Do 335

Hi tboyflyar. With Elam_Serber your models (which look beautiful) are in good hands, but if you want to have another go yourself at moving those control surfaces some tips:
- the keyboard controls don't work in the editor, only the controller you've configured in the actual sim
- assign the control surface to a channel, next configure the axis, next the min. and max angle
- I don't like manuals myself either but: try following the tutorial in the manual :-)

Cheers,
Davy
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Hi there!
Currently you can't use the mouse. If there is no controller or joystick attached you can use the numeric keyboard but that not exactly realistic.

Have a great vacation Franky! And remember: don't drink and fly, but fly and drink Hi tboyflyar. With Elam_Serber your models (which look beautiful) are in good hands, but if you want to have another go yourself at moving those control surfaces some tips:
- the keyboard controls don't work in the editor, only the controller you've configured in the actual sim
- assign the control surface to a channel, next configure the axis, next the min. and max angle
- I don't like manuals myself either but: try following the tutorial in the manual :-)

Cheers,
Davy
Actually Davy, It turned out being some sort of fluke, cuz now its working just fine! Oh, well, now thats weird.
As far as the models go, thanks for the compliment, but the credit isnt mine completely. I actually just thought that using a model from the google sketchup 3d warehouse would be a good idea. All i had to do was cut off the parts for ailerons, elavators, etc. and export them as direct x files. this way, i can make alot of planes really fast.

Now as i said before, im probably not good at making realistic flight characteristics(I finished my P-82. it flies is all i can say, but not realistically), so i wanted to know if some who was good at it to do it and then we could all enjoy the plane. Btw Davy, have you ever thought about having a 'hangar' on the rc desk pilot website? that way lots of people could easily access and post self made planes!
Just a thought!

-Tboy
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3 Posts
Really sorry about the double post only minutes later, but here's the finished plane if anyone was interested. I feel like i did a decent job on the flight characteristics.

so here you go Elam, just modify the .par file to your hearts content
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:18 PM
Ultralight Crash Survivor
USA, TX, Willis
Joined Jul 2007
35 Posts
I cant get it to run, says: Fail creating the direct3d device: any ideas direct x 9 installed
rcAirWarrior is offline Find More Posts by rcAirWarrior
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:50 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcAirWarrior View Post
I cant get it to run, says: Fail creating the direct3d device: any ideas direct x 9 installed
Hi, can you please give some more details:
- your video card
- which version of the sim are you running
- your OS (XP, Vista or Windows 7)
- is there any more info on the crash? Is there a button for more details? If this contains a 'stacktrace', something like "a0(int a)..." it would be most useful.
- at which point during the startup does it crash? Do you get a splashscreen?

Thanks,
Davy
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
Ultralight Crash Survivor
USA, TX, Willis
Joined Jul 2007
35 Posts
I just ran it on my other computer. This one is an old pentium 4 with a rage card running XP so I really think its my problem and not worth the trouble to diagnose really.(antique)
ver 012.The first thing it says is : Switching to the Direct3D reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly. Do wish to continue...yes or no ( computer response to me )

rcAirWarrior is offline Find More Posts by rcAirWarrior
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:07 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcAirWarrior View Post
Switching to the Direct3D reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly. Do wish to continue...yes or no ( computer response to me )

Ah yes... well, now you've got an excuse to buy a new pc
Cheers,
Davy