HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2009, 01:05 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
Davy,

Looks interesting, IMO I would of concentrated on resolving any issues that folk here have raised, possibly added a couple more models ( a heli would be nice ) and then developed the program to have pylon racing... but this is just my opinion.
Malc,
of course I'm fixing stuff in parallel. I've worked on the installer, the stuff you've mentioned and I got some pointers through e-mail as well. I have investigated the impact of implementing helicopters. The impact is quite high, so I'm letting the problem sink in for a few days before starting it - hoping that an elegant solution pops to mind.
Actually the racing is something that will give me some experience with collision detection, which I find very difficult to do properly. Plus it's fun to add something cool every once in a while
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2009, 02:27 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
point taken
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Sep 09, 2009, 03:10 PM
What goes up, will come down
ATL, GA
Joined Jul 2009
251 Posts
Can you make it so I can use my transmitter? I dont have a joystick lol
Mulciber126 is offline Find More Posts by Mulciber126
Old Sep 09, 2009, 03:25 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulciber126
Can you make it so I can use my transmitter? I dont have a joystick lol
Most USB adapters emulate a joystick (at least to my knowledge). You can check if it shows up in the Game Controllers section of the Windows Control Panel. If yours doesn't, you can probably use the software "PPJoy" (webpage) to transform your PPM or PIC interface to behave as a joystick.
I could maybe implement PPM or PIC interfaces directly but I have got no idea what percentage of transmitter adapters out there are not joystick compatible.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:40 PM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
win 7 64bit

btw, any idea what is causing the windows 7 64bit incompatibility?

I tried various Win XP compatibility modi, but no luck. I have PMed you with the application crash details.
kodel is offline Find More Posts by kodel
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:44 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodel
btw, any idea what is causing the windows 7 64bit incompatibility?

I tried various Win XP compatibility modi, but no luck. I have PMed you with the application crash details.
Hi Kodel,
I've got an idea what might be causing the problem (some compiler switch). I'll try to recompile this weekend and PM you a version to test.
Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:25 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Spec:
1.8Ghz P4
1.25Gb RAM
XP Pro 32bit
.NET doodah as linked on the website
Direct X 9.0c and also the links above have been tried

Unfortunately I can't get it to run.
But, the 1 piece of info I haven't given above is the graphics adapter - Nvidia Vanta 16mb LOL
It's the one that is on this machines mainboard and, while my usual PC got toasted by lightning, this one still has the stock things sat in it.
I'll put at least a TNT Riva in it...unfortunately don't have much better, but i'm thinking that's why i'm getting an error at start up. The crash comes after a message about switching to hardware Direct X emulation or similar and do I wish to continue (sorry to be vague).

On to swapping the graphics and getting to try this. It seems to be an excellent venture
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:27 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
You'll probably find its the way the old graphics card handles the pixel shading that is probably the cause, or simply it hasn't enough graphics memory...
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:55 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Hi...

I'd like advice on the controller for RCDeskpilot
I have a Spektrum DX5e transmitter. My pc is Duo Core 2.8 MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Dual monitors etc running XP.
Can I use my transmitter as a controller? If so can someone guide me to the correct cable? If not, what are the alternatives?

Any advice appreciated...

tx
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:01 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metman
Hi...

I'd like advice on the controller for RCDeskpilot
I have a Spektrum DX5e transmitter. My pc is Duo Core 2.8 MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Dual monitors etc running XP.
Can I use my transmitter as a controller? If so can someone guide me to the correct cable? If not, what are the alternatives?

Any advice appreciated...

tx
You can interface your TX to the PC by using any RC-USB interface available from most good model shops and online from a host of suppliers.

Alternatively you can use a simple cable and your soundcard with some software that creates a virtual joystick on the computer - google SmartPropoPlus and have a read of the hardware section before downloading the software. Personally I've not used it as I made my own USB interface as outlined in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508122
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Looks very nice so far;

Using a sidewinder joystick for control, which gives me no rudder control, but I like what I see so far.

Only one issue, the sim "jumps" every second or so, meaning every second or so, it pauses for a fraction of a second. I suspect this could be because I tested the sim with other windows running, but changing the scenery detail didn't seem to change it so I don't think it is a memory issue.

PC Spec:

Intel P4 2.66 GHz
512Mb RAM
ELSA Falcox Radeon 920FX 128Mb graphics card (1280x1024)

Running under Windows XP

Other than that, I'm very impressed. Especially with the folding prop on the glider model, a very nice touch
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:23 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Increasing the amount of RAM in your PC would make things run a lot better. These days 1GB can be had for just a few quid, 2GB would be ideal...
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:43 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
I'll see if the motherboard will take 2GB, if it will, I will see about upgrading, and see how it goes from there.
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
Australia
Joined Aug 2009
125 Posts
This is a very nice sim.

It runs perfectly on my HP laptop,
Intel dual core 2.0Ghz CPU
2Gb RAM
Nvidia 8400m 128Mb dedicated graphics
Vista Home Premium 32bit

I'm using my Walkera 2401 TX using PPjoy and a male to male 3.5mm stereo lead to the microphone jack. All four channels work as they should.

It looks really good so far. I am looking forward to further updates. I would love to see helis in there too (someday).

Great Work!
Fly-a-kite is offline Find More Posts by Fly-a-kite
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:48 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Thanks for advice re. controller issue Malc C. I've also been in contact with General Failure and he has helped me get to this point.

Current status is that my Spektrum transmitter is now functioning using the virtual parallel port joystick using Smartpropoplus etc. and the sim is responding. Took me a while to get there.

Now I'm into mapping nightmare to get the controls to work the right stuff. As I'm not a gamer, I go glassy eyed with various mapping options available in Windows that I don't understand. I'm not even sure what Xaxis and Yaxis actually means in terms of my transmitter. I'm now at the point where throttle works properly on the left stick. I don't want or use ailerons but they're showing up. Rudder has disappeared now.. I've tried at least a dozen iterations of the various mapping/channel parameters and can't get any consistent results.

If anyone can help, that would be great. If not, I'll have to order a USB interface cable for my Spektrum 5 channel. Researching that, I had difficulty figuring out which one to order.

Sigh...

Any advice appreciated.
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman