SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helos36
Correct me if I'm wrong..but I believe you are in the wrong thread...This Thread is for R/C Desk Pilot..not RCSim
Unfortunately I don't think it's the wrong thread. Internally the RCDeskPilot.exe still contains the name RCSim.exe (a remnant from before it had a name ).

I've sent Montag a PM requesting more information, more specifically the data behind the 'what does this error report contain' link. At least I hope I have, because the PM doesn't appear in my 'sent items' folder. If any more people have experienced issues getting the sim to run, I would love to hear about it. Either here or through email.
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:58 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
I too was able to install it but am having problems getting it to run. I'm running Windows XP, and I made sure to install DirectX 9 and the .NET 2.0 framework, then restart the computer before trying. When I click the shortcut, I immediately get an error report, as you can see in the picture below.

Any idea what's wrong?
Assuming you are in the correct thread, posting the details in the event viewer will help Davy diagnose what the error might be.

If you're not sure how to find the details, let us know and I or someone can advise
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:59 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Davy, you beat me too it !
Old Sep 06, 2009, 04:29 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
The error report comes up immediately when I click the link, I don't get a splash screen. Attached is what is in the link labeled 'What does this error report contain?'

When I click the link in the next tab, 'View the contents of the error report,' I get a box that has a whole lot of data in it that unfortunately I can't copy and paste. I'm attaching a screenshot of the top part of it that hopefully has most of the important information.

Dan
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Sep 07, 2009, 11:52 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Hi Dan,
thank you for the error details.
It is the same error as Malc got at first. In his case it indicated an incorrect DirectX version. Could you check if you've got a folder named:
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\1.0.2911.0
The version number at the end is important because it is the minimum version that R/C Desk Pilot expects. If this folder is not present on your pc it means you need to install a more recent DirectX version. The one here should do the trick.
I will follow Kodels advice and add DirectX to the installer in the next release.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 12:57 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Guys I think there are two ways of looking at this issue. Either Davy has to seamlessly embed the correct version of direct X in the installer, so the user has no idea it is being installed. Or, given the different versions that users may have on their PC, be that the default version installed with XP or Vista / W7, re-writes his code to make it less version specific. Both have pros and cons, however I think that the direction Davy is going, by incorporating the correct version in the installer is probably the easier option, even if it makes a 60+ MB download, these days most people have a reasonable internet connection speeds, so this wouldn't be a problem downloading such a file.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 02:23 PM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Just played with my TX using PPJoy on Windows Vista 32bit on a P4 3Ghz 2GB ram and a Geoforce 8600 GT.

I must say it plays very well on this!
kodel is offline Find More Posts by kodel
Old Sep 07, 2009, 04:05 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Any idea on how to calibrate a tx? I can't seem to find where to do it.

I'm using one of the ESKY ubs tx'ers and calibrating through windows doesn't help.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Sep 07, 2009, 06:09 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster
I'm using one of the ESKY ubs tx'ers and calibrating through windows doesn't help.
If you can't calibrate the device via windows "joystick and game controller" option in Control panel then it's the device that isn't working not the simulator.

What happens when you try calibrating the device under the game controller option in windows ?
Old Sep 07, 2009, 06:12 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
I managed to close the program then re open it and it was calibrated (after calibrating with windows). So stupidity on my part.

I REALLY like the soaring simulation. IMO the most realistic one I've flown.

Any plans for some pure sailplanes? We need a sim with a realistic winch/hi-start launch .
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Sep 07, 2009, 06:55 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure
Hi Dan,
thank you for the error details.
It is the same error as Malc got at first. In his case it indicated an incorrect DirectX version. Could you check if you've got a folder named:
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\1.0.2911.0
The version number at the end is important because it is the minimum version that R/C Desk Pilot expects. If this folder is not present on your pc it means you need to install a more recent DirectX version. The one here should do the trick.
I will follow Kodels advice and add DirectX to the installer in the next release.
Yeah, that was it. I guess my problem was that I tried to install DirectX before installing the .NET framework. I thought DirectX was a separate entity. It works now.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Sep 07, 2009, 08:59 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
Guys I think there are two ways of looking at this issue. Either Davy has to seamlessly embed the correct version of direct X in the installer, so the user has no idea it is being installed. Or, given the different versions that users may have on their PC, be that the default version installed with XP or Vista / W7, re-writes his code to make it less version specific. Both have pros and cons, however I think that the direction Davy is going, by incorporating the correct version in the installer is probably the easier option, even if it makes a 60+ MB download, these days most people have a reasonable internet connection speeds, so this wouldn't be a problem downloading such a file.
Or create 2 installers, one with direct x and one without. This way if you already have Direct X or are upgrading you do not need to download such a big file and save his bandwidth.

Mike
AZcrashpro is online now Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old Sep 08, 2009, 02:51 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Dan & TDisaster,
I'm glad you got the sim running. And thank you for the compliment about the soaring
Winches and tow-planes are on the wish-list, but it's a long list

I'm not going to tell what I'm working on at the moment, but I'll give a hint:
Old Sep 08, 2009, 03:06 PM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
517 Posts
Too cool!!!

How about a bridge to fly under as well?

TE
TerryE is offline Find More Posts by TerryE
Old Sep 09, 2009, 11:47 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Davy,

Looks interesting, IMO I would of concentrated on resolving any issues that folk here have raised, possibly added a couple more models ( a heli would be nice ) and then developed the program to have pylon racing... but this is just my opinion.