SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
I do plan to introduce gaming elements, but I wanted to get the basics right first. I'm not really sure now how much fun dogfighting would be: if you've flown in cockpit view you realize how manouvreable these things are and how hard it would be to 'hit' another plane. Still plenty of options though. The first gaming elements I think I want to try are red-bull type pylon racing and flour-bag bombing.
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:01 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy, I think Montag has touched on something here.. It would be cool to have network functionality, so that anyone else on the same network can fly at the same time each controlling their own model within the same flying field. Then at a later stage, the ability to host a "fun fly in" and let others join in via the internet.

This is just going to get better and better... the hard part is that hopefully we won't have to wait another 8 months for you to come out with a version that includes everyone's suggestions
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:05 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
anyone noticed the add on the bill-board ?

Just wondered if anyone has noticed
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Yeah, network flying sure is on my wishlist. In fact, it will be simpler to implement than AI planes . A permanent server to connect to would be awesome, but difficult financially

My first priority now is to get it working for as many people as possible, so at the moment I'm making adjustments so that people with older pc's like Mike can still fly and I'll try to improve the installer after your suggestions.

Then I can get back to the fun part: adding features.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:46 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure
I do plan to introduce gaming elements, but I wanted to get the basics right first. I'm not really sure now how much fun dogfighting would be: if you've flown in cockpit view you realize how manouvreable these things are and how hard it would be to 'hit' another plane. Still plenty of options though. The first gaming elements I think I want to try are red-bull type pylon racing and flour-bag bombing.
Of course. I'm glad to hear you're still thinking of adding those types of things. Your other ideas sound good too.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:13 PM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Hmmm...it freezes on me after a few seconds. While it runs, it runs fine.

The freeze is just a BAM! stop, like a screenshot with sound. Framerate is decent and graphics are good.

My PC is way out of date, so the problem is probably in my machine. I can troubleshoot, but since this is an early Beta, it ain't that big a deal.

Scratch-built with mobile Athlon 1.2G; 640M RAM; jam-packed C drive; Windows XP Pro; Comodo Firewall and Avira Anti-virus running.

I'd like to see helis, and maybe a peer-to-peer connecting system where all you need is the IP address of a host machine and maybe a password to connect. That way someone with a hoss machine could host a "fun fly", or you (General Failure) could set up a beast machine that you could maybe charge a buck or two to connect to at any time.

BTW...General Failure - how are General Alert, Major Dilemma, Corporal Punishment and Private Parts doing ?
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:13 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizack
Hmmm...it freezes on me after a few seconds.

Scratch-built with mobile Athlon 1.2G; 640M RAM; jam-packed C drive; Windows XP Pro; Comodo Firewall and Avira Anti-virus running.
I might be wrong, but that is quite a low spec machine, especially the RAM !! Its a wonder how you got XP pro running in that limited amount, let alone any application.

Oh and you forgot Major Development... he's a very positive person
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:52 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
I have a loooooong reputation for being the guy to go to to make your PC work when it shouldn't. It was only recently (about a year ago) that I upgraded from a 900MHz Athlon T-bird system (the chip that looks like a Super Nintendo cartridge). I never overclock, either. That's why I said I could troubleshoot, but it's overkill for an early beta.

I've had Clearview running smoothly for more than 2 years.

The secret is turning off all that pretty, but useless, crap that Windows thinks you need to make your system work.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:39 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Updated version available

Hi everybody,
Thank you everyone who was brave enough to test.
I have uploaded an updated version to the website.

Release notes:
  • Added a menu option for low quality scenery graphics: this won't look good (yet), but should accomodate people with low end graphics cards (Mike & Chizack, you can try again ). This will also decrease memory requirements.
  • Fixed an installer bug that with some people could cause a crash when changing a menu option (configuration file was readonly on Vista).
  • Improved the ground handling somewhat.
  • Several minor changes.

The new version can be downloaded on the download page of rcdeskpilot.com

I've also been experimenting with packing DirectX 9 with the sim, but this leads to an installer of around 60 Mb (compared to the 7 now), so I'm holding back that one for now.

I've noted all other suggestions, but I can't code that fast

Sorry Malc, no helicopters yet

Davy
Old Sep 02, 2009, 04:31 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Davy,

Ground handling is way way better... My main gripes (apart from no helicopters ) are:

1) - There is no EXIT option from the menu so you have to close via the X top right of screen or hit esc

2) - It would be nice if the application remembered your previous settings, rather than opening in a default window. I've set it up to run at 1440 x 900 on my 19" monitor, but each time close and open the application it's in a small window.

3) - I can still get into space at around 1400 meters altitude - for me this a a bug, with the clouds being set too low. I would suggest making the virtual world a lot larger with an altitude of 5000m

Once these have been resolved then, if it were my application, I would start working on the collision of objects like trees and billboards...

Oh and please get rid of the gravity sucks image.... and just reset the model

Other than that its still great to use
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:51 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
Davy,

Ground handling is way way better... My main gripes (apart from no helicopters ) are:

1) - There is no EXIT option from the menu so you have to close via the X top right of screen or hit esc

2) - It would be nice if the application remembered your previous settings, rather than opening in a default window. I've set it up to run at 1440 x 900 on my 19" monitor, but each time close and open the application it's in a small window.

3) - I can still get into space at around 1400 meters altitude - for me this a a bug, with the clouds being set too low. I would suggest making the virtual world a lot larger with an altitude of 5000m

Once these have been resolved then, if it were my application, I would start working on the collision of objects like trees and billboards...

Oh and please get rid of the gravity sucks image.... and just reset the model

Other than that its still great to use
Fixed 1), 2), 3) and the "gravity sucks" image (replaced it with a crashing sound). Haven't released it yet though.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 02:43 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Blimey you work fast

Sounds like you are working on a few extras (heli's possibly) before you post the next release up for download
Old Sep 06, 2009, 04:01 AM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Nice progress since a few months ago! (still honored to have been the very first tester on your development machine )

Regarding including Directx9 in the installer: 60MB isn't that big, and probably a lot of people will need dx9, so I would include it and in the installer. Together with the .net installer, it would be a 1-click, 1-size-fits-all installation.

It is true that the flight model is now way much better then FMS. Certainly the glider is showing very realistic flight characteristics. Flying in a gusty wind very much feels like reality!

If you want to work out the Win 7 64bit problem, I have a machine available.
kodel is offline Find More Posts by kodel
Old Sep 06, 2009, 01:19 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
I too was able to install it but am having problems getting it to run. I'm running Windows XP, and I made sure to install DirectX 9 and the .NET 2.0 framework, then restart the computer before trying. When I click the shortcut, I immediately get an error report, as you can see in the picture below.

Any idea what's wrong?
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:43 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
365 Posts
RCSim?

Correct me if I'm wrong..but I believe you are in the wrong thread...This Thread is for R/C Desk Pilot..not RCSim

Ken
Helos36 is offline Find More Posts by Helos36