HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:01 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
The Lightmaps term is new to me. I take it that's the scenery_l.png file? ...which I kinda figured was auto-generated. I noticed the embossed effect in the separate channels. I'll have to learn some more about that lightmap stuff. I was and still may create a grid map of coordinates just to rough it out.
Actually the _l.png file is a combination of normal & light map: the rgb values define the normal vector at each point which is used together with the sun position to calculate brightness (hence the emboss effect). The lightness value of the pixel is multiplied with that and in this case used for shadows of objects.
If you'd like, you can send me the scenery (davy@rcdeskpilot.com) when it's finished and I'll try to generate the lightmap with the code I've got lying around somewhere.

Cheers,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
smartpropoplus + ppjoy cost 0 and work very well to make your dx6i and friends work on your computer (uses an audio cable)
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:09 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,203 Posts
Davy props on the sim . Ive been using it almost every night for a few months now . Cant wait for more planes . Only thing ive noticed is that i can get the plane to fly upside down on the ground without crashing . Keep up the great work

Chris
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Davy props on the sim . Ive been using it almost every night for a few months now . Cant wait for more planes . Only thing ive noticed is that i can get the plane to fly upside down on the ground without crashing . Keep up the great work

Chris
Hi Chris, thank you very much for your compliment! I've been working late nights on the editor. I'm adding flaps and retractable landing gear at the moment. I hope people will use it to create lots of aircraft!

I know how to fix the upside down landing thingy, just have to find time

Cheers,
Davy
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:21 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
This sim looks great.. I just would like to clarify if this program requires a 3D graphics card. I cant find a post which states this and the Web site does not state Min spec required (maybe I just overlooked it )

Im getting this error ;
The application failed to initialize properly(0xc000135)

I have the following

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2040MB RAM
Page File: 762MB used, 3173MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Chiefman is offline Find More Posts by Chiefman
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:30 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefman View Post
This sim looks great.. I just would like to clarify if this program requires a 3D graphics card. I cant find a post which states this and the Web site does not state Min spec required (maybe I just overlooked it )

Im getting this error ;
The application failed to initialize properly(0xc000135)

I have the following

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2040MB RAM
Page File: 762MB used, 3173MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Hmm... this is the error that occurs when the .NET framework is not installed (properly). However the installer should have noticed that and asked you to install it.
Anyway, could you try installing .NET 2.0 manually from this link. After that, reinstall the sim.
A dedicated 3D card is not always necessary if your on board graphics is DirectX 9 compatible.
Let me know if you keep having problems.
Cheers,
Davy
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:36 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
Hey it works Thanks. .NET framework installed properly this time I think it failed last time and did not pick that up
Old Mar 28, 2010, 03:52 PM
FLY FREE
chicago
Joined Jul 2008
151 Posts
Version foor Snow Leopard comming soon?
Rcflying boy is offline Find More Posts by Rcflying boy
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:07 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
Just wanted to say this is a great Sim. Performs better than FMS IMO.

One thing i would really like to see in these type of sims is an (optional) compass down the bottom of the screen. In the field its easy to look around but on a sim if your flying high for a while you can get disoriented easily. I think this would help. Also being able to set the Wind direction would be a bonus as well, with a wind sock . Keep up the Great work i like this Sim
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:25 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflying boy View Post
Version foor Snow Leopard comming soon?
Sorry, not for any time soon. I unfortunately don't have the skills and time to support two platforms at this time.

Quote:
Just wanted to say this is a great Sim. Performs better than FMS IMO.
Thanks! As for many, FMS has provided me with hours of training fun. I simply have the advantage of more advanced tools and hardware to work with.

Quote:
One thing i would really like to see in these type of sims is an (optional) compass down the bottom of the screen. In the field its easy to look around but on a sim if your flying high for a while you can get disoriented easily. I think this would help. Also being able to set the Wind direction would be a bonus as well, with a wind sock . Keep up the Great work i like this Sim
I fully agree on the compass. Just haven't had time to work something out.
The wind sock is a challenge to animate/code For now you can look at the windmills in the distance: they turn with the wind direction & speed.

I have created a short blogpost and video demonstrating the main features of the upcoming editor (I suggest watching the video in HQ on YouTube if you want to be able to read the texts).
R/C Desk Pilot Aircraft Editor Preview (7 min 21 sec)

Hope you like it....

Cheers,
Davy
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:56 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
Quote:
Hope you like it....
No i dont like it.............I LOVE IT This is going to be great... Awsome
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:09 PM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
The plane editor looks freak'in fantastic!

You obviously known what your doing. You must have a physics background, yes?
The graphic adjustments for the plane physics look very complicated, but user friendly and well thought out. I hope they come with a brief explanation for someone inquisitive like me with less understanding of flight physics.

GF, from my perspective, having played with both realflight and FMS (both good programs in their own right), RC Desk Pilot is already surpassing many of their aspects.

I love the game mode options (pylons and scarecrow) as well as the simplicity of adding 3D objects to a map. I hope you keep it flexible and structured, allowing the user to be creative, utilize existing options, code and save various options for individual maps. (I'm thinking in-game adjustable limbo beams with calypso music in the back ground) :-)

Looking forward to playing with the plane editor.
A big thumbs up.
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Last edited by Eves; Mar 30, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:24 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,278 Posts
I looked at the your video GeneralFailure and was impressed even though I did not understand a lot of it! I think this aircraft editor will encourage others to create new aircraft. Are you going to make the airplane in the video available to import into your existing software?

Thanks for all of your hard work.....a very well written flight sim!

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:29 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,523 Posts
The sim looks great. Took a second for me to get my E-sky controller worked out, but plugging it in and calibrating it before running R/C Desk Pilot fixed the problem.

I wish you best of luck - combining your two hobbies like this is fabulous. The in-game ads and such is a wonderful way of supporting your work.

Anybody have connections at Parkzone to get some of their lineup in the sim?
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:14 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,682 Posts
GF,

Very nice job on the editor. Love the slider bars and the ability to try out the model within the editor. One thought on the moments is to populate the calculator based on the existing model as if it was scale. Also wondering on the moment calculation if you are using a distributed mass or just the mass at the CofG.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member