HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:18 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
364 Posts
Win 7

When I try to install DX9 using the link to microsofts page, it tells me that DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivelent version has been already installed newer version is installed. No installation is necessary

This is Windows 7RC 64 bit

I will download the full package in a bit instead of doing the web setup

Ken

Update- ok download full dx9c package and did a force install...DX9 installed ok..but now the program just will not run in Windows 7
Here is what I get

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RCDeskPilot.exe
Application Version: 0.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4a98f0aa
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7100.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49eeaac8
Exception Code: e0434f4d
Exception Offset: 000000000000bb5d
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Helos36 is offline Find More Posts by Helos36
Last edited by Helos36; Aug 29, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:05 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
864 Posts
Well my install went great and as long as I fly above any terrain the planes fly great. The problem is when there is any kind of ground in view the planes are uncontrolable even when just sitting on the ground. While sitting on the runway the planes just bounce around until they end up crashing and that is with no power on. In order to take off I need to hit reset with the plane at full throttle and hope I get out of view of the ground before I crash.

Looks good for a first release.

If this doesn't make sense send me a PM.

Mike
AZcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Ken,
For Windows 7, it might be that it's just the Managed version of DirectX that's missing. If you're still up for it, can you download this file and extract the .dll's into your sim folder (probably c:\program files\rc desk pilot)? I'll try to test the sim on windows 7 myself as soon as possible.

Mike,
it sounds like the flightmodel isn't getting enough CPU cycles. Your videocard probably doesn't support Vertex Shaders causing the CPU to be occupied with rendering the graphics. I've increased the priority of the flightmodel, so in the next release, hopefully this will be better, but I still need to do some work to accomodate for slower machines. Could you post the specs of your PC?
In the mean time you could try to reduce the resolution or windowsize of the sim to see if it makes any difference.

I appreciate the effort and feedback you all provide, I'm glad I introduced the sim here first.

Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:10 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Ken, could it be the fact you're running a 64bit version of windows ? I know some 32 bit applications won't run on a 64 bit platform, maybe Davy has used library files that are 32bit only.

Mike, I too have strange ground handling experiences, but not like yours. For me the model will just drift in the direction of the runway, and any attempt to taxi at low speed becomes twitchy and on occasion the model would flip 180 degrees and end up on its roof even when parked. I was trying to use this method to detect the collision detection by driving the model towards benches and trees. Talking of trees I've managed to fly right through the branches and not crash... More work to do Davy !
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:38 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
Mike, I too have strange ground handling experiences, but not like yours. For me the model will just drift in the direction of the runway, and any attempt to taxi at low speed becomes twitchy and on occasion the model would flip 180 degrees and end up on its roof even when parked. I was trying to use this method to detect the collision detection by driving the model towards benches and trees. Talking of trees I've managed to fly right through the branches and not crash... More work to do Davy !
Yeah, ground handling and collision detection are two of the things that are still on my todo list
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:16 AM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
364 Posts
DX files

OK i tried the managed dll files and still no love in win 7. I have a 2nd Hard disk in machine that is the 32 bit Version of Win 7...I will try that as well..but I don't want to go back to 32 bit because then I can't use my 8 megs of ram ..I will provide feedback on the 32 bit Win 7 in a bit.

Ken

Update- YAY!! I booted from the Win 7 32 bit Hard disk and installed..It worked fine...Nice for a first look at the sim...I will play some more with it as time goes on. Malc has alot of good input....One of the things I really would stress is that you may want look at the possibilities of getting it to work in 64 bit platform. Windows 7 is to be released on OCT 22, and it is like comparing XP to win 98 and makes Vista seem like a dog for an operating system, most new computers will come standard with 4 gig of memory. 32 bit operating systems will only see just over 3 gig.
Last edited by Helos36; Aug 30, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:57 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Ken, to a point I have to agree, in that whilst 64bit machines are now becoming more affordable, the bulk of PC's are still 32bit and expecting Davy to build a 64bit development PC might be pushing it

Having said that, it's nice of you to provide the feedback that it works on the 32bit version of W7, and I'm sure Davy will rope you in as a tester if he re-codes his app in 64bit format

This application has real potential. Looking back at the first release of CV and that other sim that appeared a while back (who's name escapes me), the performance of RC desk pilot is IMO better at this stage than those two were when launched. Obviously CV has now had a couple of years of development since that launch and has now become one to the top recommendations from this board for a cheap good performing sim, so who knows where RC desk pilot will be in two years time. And if it remains free it will probably become the most popular sim on the market.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
864 Posts
I am running a laptop with a 1.5 gig Pentium and 1 gig of ram. It uses the on board Intel video card but it does run Clearview well. Odd thing is once the terrain goes out of view I can use smoke and full screen with no problems. I really need a new laptop.

Mike
AZcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Ken,
Thank you for your attempts, I hope it was worth it
I'm glad you got it to work. Now I've got an excuse to convince my wife to buy a new 64-bit pc.

Mike,
The problem will be that your on board video card doesn't support a certain feature used (only) to render the terrain. I'll need to provide an alternative for this. I'll see what I can do for the next version, but the resulting graphics won't be as 'pretty'.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:04 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
So now we've given you all this feedback... when can we expect the next update... by Tuesday possibly ??
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:07 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
So now we've given you all this feedback... when can we expect the next update... by Tuesday possibly ??
Tuesday? That will give me the time to implement helicopters
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
364 Posts
Updates

LOL...Tuesday?????...Hey all good things take time....Yes I will be happy to help test....What program are you using to make the models? I might be persuaded to make a few, unless it requires me to spend a bunch of money for another 3d program. Either way I agree w/Malc_C...it has alot of potential and of course anything that will give something back to the RC community, I would like to be a part of

Ken

I just looked and the file extensions are .x (for Direct x files)...I checked and AC3D can export to Direct x file extensions. AC3D will let me export but not import .x files..I willlook into this further to see if there is a plugin
Last edited by Helos36; Aug 30, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:59 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helos36
LOL...Tuesday?????...Hey all good things take time....Yes I will be happy to help test....What program are you using to make the models? I might be persuaded to make a few, unless it requires me to spend a bunch of money for another 3d program. Either way I agree w/Malc_C...it has alot of potential and of course anything that will give something back to the RC community, I would like to be a part of
The 3D models can be made with Metasequoia or anything that outputs .x files. The file that describes the model with all its parameters (look up the .par files) are in human-readable (or sort-of) XML format. I'm working on a easy-to-use editor for that.
Although I plan to support it, I don't suggest you start modelling just yet. I'm still adding stuff to the flight model which results in changes to the .par files. So you would have to keep changing your models as well. That's one of the reasons there's only 3 planes right now. Well, that and the fact that it takes me about a week to build one

Update: Ken, you don't need to be able to import .x files. Just save your work into any format you like and only export to .x when you want to try it in a sim. Btw, I never heard of AC3D. Looks interesting, how are your experiences with it?
Last edited by GeneralFailure; Aug 30, 2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:24 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
364 Posts
Ac3d

That is the program I learned to make models for Clearview...60% or more of the models that comes with Clearview, I have drawn from scratch using pictures.

http://www.inivis.com/

you can check out the website for AC3D

Ken
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:33 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Cool, I can't wait until next week when I get back to school and can get on the internet with my laptop, so I can try it out. Sounds really good based on others' feedback so far.

I especially like that it has a actual 3D environments to play with. Any chance of implementing a dogfighting mode like you mentioned before? If you could do that and have AI planes to fight against I can assure you I would never be able to stop playing it.
Montag DP is online now Find More Posts by Montag DP