Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
I think ribbon cutting would be a great event on your sim
alpha8 is offline Find More Posts by alpha8
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Does anyone know if the realFlight controller will work with this sim? IIRC it is seen by the OS as a std. HID.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:07 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
My guess is that it won't, because RF use interlinked controllers which use their own protocol to encrypt the data stream from the controller to the PC, which the software deciphers. As Davey's application is designed to work with a standard joystick and USB protocols I personally don't think you'll have much joy.

Yes windows will see the hardware, because the PIC use the standard HID descriptors in the firmware.
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:37 PM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,359 Posts
Malc.

I'm afraid you are incorrect here. AFAIK, most interfaces, including the RealFlight Interlink, are seen by the OS as HID joysticks and can be used with other simulators (not that it makes any sense to fly FMS and such, after RealFlight). The only exception I've seen was the interface from older, version 4.*, Reflex, which indeed wasn't a Windows joystick...

These interfaces acting as copy protection "dongles" doesn't detract from their joystick nature. Usually, in addition to sending regular joystick data, they also support some secret protocol, using which the software verifies that a genuine dongle is connected. Other software can still use these interfaces as joysticks.

Boris
bluesky123 is online now Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:37 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Boris, I stand corrected, thanks.

I must confess I was basing my post on my own experience when I used to have XTR V4 which would only work with XTR, and therefore (wrongly) tarred all interlinked interfaces with the same brush !
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
I guess I shall plug it in and see.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:10 AM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
The joysticks and potentiometer work just fine with my RealFlight Interlink, but the trim and swtich channels do not.

Note to GF: I also have a logitech wingman controler which defaults. I looked for a file setting or registry setting to change this to the RealFlight Interlink, but couldn't find one. I set my vista 64 default to RealFlight Interlink and that did not help either. An in program setting for this would be nice.

BTW... Great program!, I love the 3D effect.
Thanks GF
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:19 PM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
After I spent way too much time struggling with PPJoy to get my transmitter to talk to my computer and Desk Pilot Simulator I ordered a USB interface cord from Tom's RC. Best ten bucks I have spent lately!! They had it out to me very quickly and it works like a charm with my Windows 7 64 bit OS, both of my Spectrum transmitters and the Desk Pilot Sim. No complicated setup is required I just made a couple of simple and intuitive adjustments on the Control Settings page of the Desk Pilot and started having fun.

http://shop.tomsrc.com/index.php?cPath=72

Dean
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer View Post
I guess I shall plug it in and see.
Well, I plugged it in and it almost works perfectly. MUCH nicer than a 2-axis controller. And it supports all the trims!

Just remember to calbrate the controller.
Last edited by IPFlyer; Mar 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Any idea when the plane editor/creator will be released??
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
Note to GF: I also have a logitech wingman controler which defaults. I looked for a file setting or registry setting to change this to the RealFlight Interlink, but couldn't find one. I set my vista 64 default to RealFlight Interlink and that did not help either. An in program setting for this would be nice.

BTW... Great program!, I love the 3D effect.
Thanks GF
Thanks! And yes, I need to save the preferred controller in the settings. It's on my todo list

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer View Post
Any idea when the plane editor/creator will be released??
I hope to release a beta in a few weeks. Probably no helicopters in the first release though, as I would like to improve the helicopter flightmodel first.

Cheers,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Great! Thanks. BTW, I've had no issues whatsoever switching between a Saitek dual axis pad and the realFligh I-controller tx.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:51 PM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Mapping ?s

Hello GF,
1) I am creating a new map and trying to figure out the .dds format. I am using the Nvidia/PhotoShop plugin for dds and cannot determine what options to use. The save options in this plugin are so numerous and I have not been able to find the right ones. I can provide you with a screen shot (of the save screen) if that helps. I have been trying to re save the scenery_s.dds to get the same file size as the original with no luck.

2) Also, I would like to add water if that is possible.
The xml coding (.def and .par) files are easy enough to understand, but I am totally lost with the splat.FX file, where I noticed the water object option mentioned. I am guessing that is where some coding needs to be done, which I am unfamiliar with.

3) Is it possible to extend the map size? and/or color the surrounding ground blue... or give it a texure?

Because my height map is taller than your original map, the birds and extra planes fly below the ground. I am not too concerned about that, but if it would be possible to reference their flight paths off of the height map (visual ground level) that would be cool.
Creating new 3d models (.x files) is no problem.

LOL, I just noticed the animated trees last night... Very nice touch.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now...
Cheers Eves
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
Hello GF,
1) I am creating a new map and trying to figure out the .dds format. I am using the Nvidia/PhotoShop plugin for dds and cannot determine what options to use. The save options in this plugin are so numerous and I have not been able to find the right ones. I can provide you with a screen shot (of the save screen) if that helps. I have been trying to re save the scenery_s.dds to get the same file size as the original with no luck.

2) Also, I would like to add water if that is possible.
The xml coding (.def and .par) files are easy enough to understand, but I am totally lost with the splat.FX file, where I noticed the water object option mentioned. I am guessing that is where some coding needs to be done, which I am unfamiliar with.

3) Is it possible to extend the map size? and/or color the surrounding ground blue... or give it a texure?

Because my height map is taller than your original map, the birds and extra planes fly below the ground. I am not too concerned about that, but if it would be possible to reference their flight paths off of the height map (visual ground level) that would be cool.
Creating new 3d models (.x files) is no problem.

LOL, I just noticed the animated trees last night... Very nice touch.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now...
Cheers Eves
Hi Eves,
wow, I haven't even finished the aircraft editor yet and you're already building sceneries?
No, that's great, unfortunately the support for that in the sim isn't that great yet. Your only option is to alter the default scenery, but you probably figured that out already.
About your questions:
1) I use the texturetool included in the DirectX SDK, and the format for the scenery_s.dds is R8G8B8X8 or R8G8B8A8 (I forgot which one, but both will probably work). The clue is that you need 4 channels/bytes of values for each pixel. Each value will represent the amount of one of the 4 available textures. This technique is called texture splatting (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_splatting). Important is that for each pixel the sum of all 4 channels is about 255 (or the brightness of the pixel will be off). I forgot which channel (R,G,B,A) is for which texture but you'll figure that out when looking at the current dds. I know the A(lpha) channel is used for the concrete.

2) I would also like to add water , but I haven't done that yet. You'll really have to wait until I implement it before you can insert it into the scene properly (with ripples etc.). You probably shouldn't touch the fx file. It contains the shader code for the splatting technique mentioned in 1).

3) At the moment the map size is hardcoded. If we were to extend it it would either increase memory + CPU load or reduce resolution of the heightmap and more importantly the light map, resulting in even more blobby shadows of scenery objects. You can change the color of the surrounding area. It's a small texture called "surroundings.png".

BTW. it won't be easy to generate your own lightmaps. I had to write some code to generate those based on the heightmap and the shadows cast by the scenery objects.

Of course I hope to include all of these things and more in the scenery editor when I build one. I hope you'll be patient with me and start using the aircraft editor when I release it... (not very long now).

A small update on the aircraft editor: the editor was coming along very well. As a test I ported a FMS model to R/C Desk Pilot. It worked great until I noticed that the ground physics had a problem with a tricycle landing gear where the nose gear was shorter than the main gear (the aircraft flipped over at every take off). A couple of days later I was rewriting the entire ground physics . I'm wrapping that up now so I can finish the aircraft editor and release a beta, unless I detect another major flaw in the physics. It would be a bummer if you work long on a model, just to find out the physics can't support it.

Cheers,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:55 PM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Ty for the quick reply. That Info will help me out.
I like to tinker with this stuff for fun.

The Lightmaps term is new to me. I take it that's the scenery_l.png file? ...which I kinda figured was auto-generated. I noticed the embossed effect in the separate channels. I'll have to learn some more about that lightmap stuff. I was and still may create a grid map of coordinates just to rough it out.

I'll post a screen shot when I get further along with it all.

Keep up the good work.