Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:13 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh.Longshot View Post
the extra and cessna just taxi and will not stop. Thanks for a great beta and I hope it is successful!!
Thanks. The prop of the cessna should stop spinning at idle. If it doesn't be sure to calibrate your controller using the windows Control Panel > Game Controllers settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. View Post
Then I tried to connect my DX6 Spectrum transmitter using PPJoy as I have seen recommended many times for this purpose...

Dean
Hi Dean, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with the controller. Trying to get multiple pieces of software working together can be frustrating.
I can't speak for the Dx6, but I've used my cheap FMS controller with a serial cable using the combination PPJoy and PicJoy (see tom's RC website), but I don't know whether PicJoy will work with the Dx6 cable (or win7).
The reason that direct support for the FMS protocol isn't implemented in the sim is that by far most new pc's don't have serial ports anymore. So I decided to wait to see how much demand there was for it. This is 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
When I run the program, seems to start normally, loads the scenery and then the planes, then I get this error message:

Failed creating the Direct3D device.

Error in the application.
-2004287480 (Unknown)
At Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.Buffer.Play(Int32 priority,
BufferPlayFlags flags)

Any ideas what is wrong, am I missing something?
Thanks.
Hi Buzzy, I haven't seen this error before. After some googling it looks like updating your soundcard drivers might solve this. You probably need to know the type of your motherboard (or laptop) to find the correct drivers.

Hope this helps,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Hi Buzzy, I haven't seen this error before. After some googling it looks like updating your soundcard drivers might solve this. You probably need to know the type of your motherboard (or laptop) to find the correct drivers.

Hope this helps,
Davy
Thanks Davy, I got the simulator to load now, and looks awsome. The trouble I'm having now, is getting the controls to work correctly. I'm using an older Real Flight Sim Tx, with a gameport to USB adapter (see pic below). The adapter has 4 settings, gamepad, joystick A, joystick B, wheel. But I can't get any of them to work correctly.
The gamepad setting looks best at neutral, all the levels are in the middle, and the elevator and aileron move all the way left to right, but nothing happens with the left stick. On all other modes, the levels at neutral are not centered, and they don't move the whole range. The plane is uncontrollable, not enough pitch with all the controls.
Is it impossible to use this radio this way? Thanks.
buzzy is offline Find More Posts by buzzy
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:39 AM
Idaho, USA
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Thanks General,
re-calibrated it and it is working fine now. Great sim, and thanks for making it free, keeps the funds available for the real rc stuff!

Thanks
LS
kh.Longshot is offline Find More Posts by kh.Longshot
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Thanks Davy, I got the simulator to load now, and looks awsome. The trouble I'm having now, is getting the controls to work correctly. I'm using an older Real Flight Sim Tx, with a gameport to USB adapter (see pic below). The adapter has 4 settings, gamepad, joystick A, joystick B, wheel. But I can't get any of them to work correctly.
The gamepad setting looks best at neutral, all the levels are in the middle, and the elevator and aileron move all the way left to right, but nothing happens with the left stick. On all other modes, the levels at neutral are not centered, and they don't move the whole range. The plane is uncontrollable, not enough pitch with all the controls.
Is it impossible to use this radio this way? Thanks.
I would check the windows control panel, under game controllers (or 'printers and devices' in Windows 7) and try calibrating the controller. As long as you've got one mode on your adapter in which all 4 stick directions move something, calibrating it will make everything centered and move the whole range.
If not, do you have a brand/type of your gameport adapter? (the picture seems to be missing )
Hope this helps,
Davy
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
I would check the windows control panel, under game controllers (or 'printers and devices' in Windows 7) and try calibrating the controller. As long as you've got one mode on your adapter in which all 4 stick directions move something, calibrating it will make everything centered and move the whole range.
If not, do you have a brand/type of your gameport adapter? (the picture seems to be missing )
Hope this helps,
Davy
Thanks Davy, you got it, calibrating the controller under 'game controllers' did the job. Works great, and the graphics are pretty good, especially the moving trees and flying birds, very cool. Great job, very impressive.

Buzzy
buzzy is offline Find More Posts by buzzy
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:36 PM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Dean, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with the controller. Trying to get multiple pieces of software working together can be frustrating.
I can't speak for the Dx6, but I've used my cheap FMS controller with a serial cable using the combination PPJoy and PicJoy (see tom's RC website), but I don't know whether PicJoy will work with the Dx6 cable (or win7).
The reason that direct support for the FMS protocol isn't implemented in the sim is that by far most new pc's don't have serial ports anymore. So I decided to wait to see how much demand there was for it. This is 1

Hope this helps,
Davy
Thanks Davy, I just ordered the USB cable from Tom's RC. Hopefully it and the software that is included with it will work and bring some Joy to the installation. If it doesn't play nice with Windows 7 maybe I could try using compatibility mode. I am going to delete PPJoy and start fresh when I get the new cable. I have no desire to spend another moment struggling with PPJoy.

I would like to find out how people are using the regular Spectrum trainer cord plugged into the microphone jack on the computer but the folks that say they have done it aren't saying how they did it.

Dean
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:27 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,513 Posts
Helicopter

Hey Davy, I thought I'd give you some input on the helicopter in the sim. I just tried it out, and it seems very difficult to control. The damping on the cyclic controls is too low - the heli goes into oscillations for awhile if you give it a cyclic input and then move the sticks back to neutral. Also, the authority on those controls is pretty low too. That may be ok (it is kind of fun to try to control it this way), but in the future I think you'll want a heli with much better cyclic damping and control authority.

Dan
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Hey Davy, I thought I'd give you some input on the helicopter in the sim. I just tried it out, and it seems very difficult to control. The damping on the cyclic controls is too low - the heli goes into oscillations for awhile if you give it a cyclic input and then move the sticks back to neutral. Also, the authority on those controls is pretty low too. That may be ok (it is kind of fun to try to control it this way), but in the future I think you'll want a heli with much better cyclic damping and control authority.

Dan
Thank you Dan for those very useful comments! They make a lot of sense. They will come in very handy when I resume work on the heli flight model and editor.

Davy
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,431 Posts
I just loaded this up on my Win 7 box. Kewl! Works great EXCEPT there seems to be no way to calibrate a simple Saitek 2 axis game pad. IOW, the throttle is always 1/2 on. Is that fixable? Old FMS used to allow you to hold the stick down and then set the calibration. Of course this might be a PICNIC error.

Aslo, any other planes for this sim? It is really great 9RealFlight G2 is gathering dust as it will not run in 7).
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer View Post
I just loaded this up on my Win 7 box. Kewl! Works great EXCEPT there seems to be no way to calibrate a simple Saitek 2 axis game pad. IOW, the throttle is always 1/2 on. Is that fixable? Old FMS used to allow you to hold the stick down and then set the calibration. Of course this might be a PICNIC error.
Hi, you can calibrate the controller using the standard windows Control Panel way (Start > Control Panel > Game Controllers (or 'printers and devices' in win7)).
If the throttle isn't responding at all, maybe you need to assign a different channel using the controls menu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer View Post
Aslo, any other planes for this sim? It is really great 9RealFlight G2 is gathering dust as it will not run in 7).
I'm currently working on an aircraft editor, so there will hopefully follow lots of aircraft .

Cheers,
Davy
Old Mar 02, 2010, 12:04 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:

I'm currently working on an aircraft editor, so there will hopefully follow lots of aircraft .

Cheers,
Davy

Looking forward to seeing the model editor. Will it come with import software and instructions on how to animate movements?
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Mar 02, 2010, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee! View Post

Looking forward to seeing the model editor. Will it come with import software and instructions on how to animate movements?
For now it only supports .x files for the 3D model. I think there are .x exporters available for all major 3D modeling software. Each moving component should be imported as a separate object. The animations can be done within the editor (although only basic rotations are possible at this time).
Some VERY preliminary screenshots:
The main editor:

Some of the physics parameters:

The lift coefficient graph:

Cheers,
Davy
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:59 AM
Joined Jan 2008
16 Posts
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if RCDesk Pilot will work with the following setup ?

Spektrum DX6i
USB Interface for another software package (preflightsim)

Any tips or pointers to get it working would be great

Cheers
crusey is offline Find More Posts by crusey
Old Mar 04, 2010, 02:22 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusey View Post
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if RCDesk Pilot will work with the following setup ?

Spektrum DX6i
USB Interface for another software package (preflightsim)

Any tips or pointers to get it working would be great

Cheers
The USB dongle for preflight is quite specific to preflight - I could not get it to work with RCDesk.
The basic generic USB Dongle with JR/Spectrum plugs generally work and are cheap - $10.

However, to be sure I bought the Rolls Royce - see this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=220

Works without and problems. Expensive but very good and works all the various sims out there.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Mar 04, 2010, 02:46 AM
Joined Jan 2008
16 Posts
Thanks mate, looks like a great little adapter will get one of those

Cheers
crusey is offline Find More Posts by crusey