HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkickhafer View Post
I installed the program and am having stuttering problems when the plane is near the ground. The plane's shadow flashes from dark to white. I have tried windowed and full screen with no difference.

I am running windows XP, 2.4 ghz P4, 1 GB ram and an NVidia FX5200

Any idea on what might be causing this?

Thanks, Dave.
Hi Dave,
there are two things you can try: download the latest driver from NVidia, or, if that doesn't help: setting the scenery detail to 'low'.
Cheers,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:44 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
hey just downloaded the direct x9 and microsoft net from your sight and downloaded then new sim just fine but when i went to run it it gave me like a message saying would you like to switch to 3d something (sorry for the lack of detail) and so i said yes but then i cant run so idk on what to do next
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:53 PM
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2004
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Hi Dave,
there are two things you can try: download the latest driver from NVidia, or, if that doesn't help: setting the scenery detail to 'low'.
Cheers,
Davy
Thanks for the repsonse.

I have the latest driver for this card. I tried setting the scenery to low and it does run smoother, however, the shadow of the plane still flashes from black to white.

Anything else I can try?

Dave.
dkickhafer is offline Find More Posts by dkickhafer
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:36 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Dave,

1GB of ram isn't that much these days in an XP machine. Try upgrading the ram to 2GB (you'll notice a difference) which might help the system.

As for the graphics card, what amount of ram does it have and is it a plugin card or is it just the chipset built into the mainboard. If it's the latter the that will be using shared memory, ie it will pinch an allocated amount of your system ram, which after the system etc has had its share won't be much left of your 1GB.

If on the otherhand its a plug in card then the specs on http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040109440047.htm seem to suggest that it would be fine, however I would ask Davy to check the specs out as he would know if the versions of DirectX, olpen GL and pixel shading (the latter might be your problem) is ideal for his application
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:29 AM
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2004
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C View Post
Dave,

1GB of ram isn't that much these days in an XP machine. Try upgrading the ram to 2GB (you'll notice a difference) which might help the system.

As for the graphics card, what amount of ram does it have and is it a plugin card or is it just the chipset built into the mainboard. If it's the latter the that will be using shared memory, ie it will pinch an allocated amount of your system ram, which after the system etc has had its share won't be much left of your 1GB.

If on the otherhand its a plug in card then the specs on http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040109440047.htm seem to suggest that it would be fine, however I would ask Davy to check the specs out as he would know if the versions of DirectX, olpen GL and pixel shading (the latter might be your problem) is ideal for his application
It is a plug in card with 128 mb on board ram.

I could look at upgrading the system RAM.

Dave.
dkickhafer is offline Find More Posts by dkickhafer
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkickhafer View Post
It is a plug in card with 128 mb on board ram.

Dave.
Dave, in that case I would of thought that the card is fine. I must be something to do with the way it handles the drawing of the screen as I mentioned.

I used to have a game which had similar issues (white / black triangles appearing as the screen was drawn) but that was with an ATI card and was resolved when I upgraded my PC

Hope that someone can shed some light on this for you soon
Old Jan 17, 2010, 04:07 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
hey just downloaded the direct x9 and microsoft net from your sight and downloaded then new sim just fine but when i went to run it it gave me like a message saying would you like to switch to 3d something (sorry for the lack of detail) and so i said yes but then i cant run so idk on what to do next
It probably said "switching to reference adapter". It means your graphics card probably isn't powerful or recent enough to play the sim. Is that possible?

Quote:
I have the latest driver for this card. I tried setting the scenery to low and it does run smoother, however, the shadow of the plane still flashes from black to white.
The shadow thing can't be a shader issue since the sim doesn't use shaders at all if you set detail to low (and don't use the anaglyph mode). The shadow is actually simply the airplane rendered again, but squashed to a single plane, a millimeter above the ground and in a black material. I'll look into the code to see if it's perhaps a simple bug with this material. I have 5 different pc's I use for testing and unfortunately none of these has this symptom.

BTW. thank you Malc for answering so many posts, you hardware knowledge is better than mine!

Davy
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:20 PM
USA, IL, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
88 Posts
i realize these things take time but will there be any other aircraft developed for rc desk pilot?
airplanfreak is offline Find More Posts by airplanfreak
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:48 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanfreak View Post
i realize these things take time but will there be any other aircraft developed for rc desk pilot?
Hi,
I'm working on a plane editor right now. I hope this will lead to many new aircraft. Going by the high quality of the add-on planes that are posted regularly, there are people here with much better modelling and graphic skills than me.

Cheers,
Davy
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:03 AM
Scratchest Aeromodelling;-)
Visakhapatnam, INDIA
Joined Sep 2008
314 Posts
Guys I installed it on my machine.

Does it work with my Computer Radio?
Merog is offline Find More Posts by Merog
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:40 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merog View Post
Guys I installed it on my machine.

Does it work with my Computer Radio?
Hang on a moment... let me gaze into this crystal ball.....

To be honest without any info on your radio or what interfaces you may have how the hell can we answer your question.

Here are some basics:

1) - you'll need an interface to connect your radio to the PC. Either a USB device that emulates a standard windows joystick, or via a cable connected to the sound card and running virtual joystick on the PC

2) - your radio should be set to a basic flight model with no mixing of channels and be in PPM mode not PCM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:51 PM
Scratchest Aeromodelling;-)
Visakhapatnam, INDIA
Joined Sep 2008
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C View Post
1) - you'll need an interface to connect your radio to the PC. Either a USB device that emulates a standard windows joystick, or via a cable connected to the sound card and running virtual joystick on the PC

2) - your radio should be set to a basic flight model with no mixing of channels and be in PPM mode not PCM.
Thanx Malc.

I use my radio for FMS, by connecting to sound card (propo plus will do the conversion).

Now, lemme try with the same, but in PPM, not in PCM!

Thank you very much once again!
Merog is offline Find More Posts by Merog
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:08 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Hi,
I'm working on a plane editor right now. I hope this will lead to many new aircraft. Going by the high quality of the add-on planes that are posted regularly, there are people here with much better modelling and graphic skills than me.

Cheers,
Davy
Hi Davy,
Has anyone posted add-on planes for DeskPilot yet??
I keep looking around but haven't found any.
Would it be easy for someone to use/convert a G4.5 or a FMS model??
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:15 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merog View Post
Thanx Malc.

I use my radio for FMS, by connecting to sound card (propo plus will do the conversion).

Now, lemme try with the same, but in PPM, not in PCM!

Thank you very much once again!
I'm not 100% sure but I think there was some progress with getting smartpropo plus working with PCM so provided it worked with FMS then it should work with Davy's program
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
Hi Davy,
Has anyone posted add-on planes for DeskPilot yet??
I keep looking around but haven't found any.
Would it be easy for someone to use/convert a G4.5 or a FMS model??
The current version doesn't support add-on planes. The only option you theoretically have is replacing/modifying the existing ones.

Since the aircraft format is - of course - proprietary, you'll need special tools to make the creation of aircraft simpler. So that's what I'm building. I want to make it as accessible as possible to create a new model (I'm not sure I'll succeed though). It will take me at least a month to get somewhere with this. And I still have to figure out distribution and sponsored models.
Oh, importing the graphical part of FMS models will be simple. I'm not familiar with RealFlight models, so can't speak about that.

Ah well, back to work

Davy