Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
Here is the link to the files:
https://sites.google.com/site/rcpdsl...pd-slope-files
Bottom of page

Take the terraign.def file, the Scenery_H.png file and the Default.par file and paste them into your scenery file (after making a backup of the original files).

-SuperBarlow
I notice the default.par for the BMI version has two extra lines, that aren't in your default.par. I don't really use the RCDP version, so I haven't checked that.

Code:

<defaultstartposition>0,0.05,0</defaultstartposition>
    <waterstartposition>37,0.05,127</waterstartposition>
Maybe adding those two lines is needed for the BMI one? Or at least the first one. The number would need changing to match your terrain, I guess.

It's too late at night to try it now. It sounds useful though. It would be easy enough to put together a batch file to swap sceneries by copying or renaming files, outside of RCDP/BMI sim.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:04 AM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
426 Posts
For RCPD 1.3, It's not needed;
I tried it without that code in BMI and it also works fine, there's just no water.

I don't know...

Is it working for you Andy2No?
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,362 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply,

Cheese5,
Go to the Aircraft editor, and hit File>open. Go to the directory that your planes are in, and open the .par file of the plane that you want to change. Then, go into the Physics tab. The responsiveness of the control inputs can be changed with "Flight Parameters." . Hope that helps!

-Superbarlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
SuperBarlow,

Cheese5,
There's also a "expo" function in the controls menu.

Cheers,
Davy
Thanks guys it worked! The styker can boomerang now! I like how the sim can enable 2 other "pilots" flying at the same and birds that fly around. Makes it see m like you are actually flying at a real field. All it needs now is photographic scenery!
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
All it needs now is photographic scenery!
Working on it!
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,757 Posts
Quote:
For RCPD 1.3, It's not needed;
I tried it without that code in BMI and it also works fine, there's just no water.

I don't know...

Is it working for you Andy2No?
I just tried it out. Yes, it works fine for me. I miss the lake though. That's my favourite feature of BMI Flight Sim.

All I did was make a copy of the "default" folder in \program files\BMI Flight Simulator\data\scenery then paste your scenery files in to the original one.

I haven't tried the glider and slope soarer yet because I already had planes called that and I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to replace them.

Have you noticed there are windmill blades poking out of one of the hills? I switched the view to follow the plane and flew around. With the wind blowing, they're still turning, even though they're mostly buried under that hill. It makes me wonder if there's a little farmer driving a tractor around in a tunnel too.

Do the birds know the ground is higher, or are they now subterranean, some of the time?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
426 Posts
The lake can probably be replaced with the <waterstartposition>37,0.05,127</waterstartposition> code in the default.def file. You can also change the posistion, so that maybe the arc hills can be closed into a great big pond
I originally made this for the 1.3 version of RCPD, so it didn't have the water.

I don't know how the birds are programmed, so they may be underground.

SuperBarlow
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,757 Posts
Sadly, no, SuperBarlow. Putting the waterstartposition back doesn't add the lake. If I pick the BMI Ikon A5 to fly, and leave the box ticked for a water start, it just crashes. If I untick the box, it takes off from the runway, but there's no water to be found.

I don't know if this works in RCDP, but I added back the <defaultstartposition>0,0.05,0</defaultstartposition> line, then tried a quick edit to see what it changes. I thought the middle number might be altitude, and it turns out it is. If I set it to 100, I get a nice high start, and can practise dead stick landings all day Or go gliding, I guess. That could be useful for your slope soaring scenery.

I haven't spotted the birds yet. Maybe you could make that hill taller to hide the windmill blades, or better still, make it a bit shorter so we can see the rest of them... I guess there might be a definition of where they're positioned that we could edit too - to put them higher up, on top of the new hill.

Could we have a menu to select more alternative start positions, GeneralFailure? I guess you were working towards doing that by adding the water start. I don't see any harm in enabling that for all models, come to think of it. If they sink, it doesn't cost anything.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,757 Posts
Okay. I see windmills. They're in terrain.def

Code:
#  <Windmills>
    <Position xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
      <X>-74.44113</X>
      <Y>26.2420444</Y>
      <Z>394.631653</Z>
    </Position>
  </Windmills>
  <Windmills>
    <Position xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
      <X>-105.721046</X>
      <Y>25.0289555</Y>
      <Z>394.631653</Z>
    </Position>
  </Windmills>
  <Windmills>
      <X>-135.670715</X>
      <Y>22.1269684</Y>
      <Z>394.631653</Z>
    </Position>
  </Windmills>
I'll let you know when I've finished tilting at them.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:16 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,757 Posts
Well, this is interesting

I thought Z might be altitude, so I tried that first, but small changes didn't to a lot... so I tried changing them a lot, instead. They were all at Z=394.631653 - I'd forgotten the windmills aren't all level, or I might have realised sooner.

I tried changing them to 594, 294, 494 (too lazy to change more than the first digit on each). One is now in a field, and two are off shore, as wind farms sometimes are, but floating a bit above the "sea" - well, the nothing, at the edges.

The interesting part is that if you fly out to see them, then turn round, you can see under the edge of the scenery in places, and out the other side, at the corner. There are little trees floating in mid air, under there (trees are defined in terrain.def too, so we could rescue them).

I thought maybe I could fly under the scenery and out the other side, but sadly no. It doesn't work that way.

The terrain.def I'm referring to is in \program files\BMI Flight Simulator\data\scenery\default
Last edited by Andy2No; Nov 24, 2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added a piccy of the strangeness
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,757 Posts
More scenes from the edge of the world...
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:37 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,757 Posts
I haven't seen any birds yet. The tractor guy is okay though... Probably just wondering who put that windmill there, hovering just above his favourite field.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
426 Posts
If you view the world as the Terrain map, attached, the x axis is where the x axis usually is, and the z axis is where the y axis normally is.

The y axis is height.

The Scenery_h file is the height map, black is lowest, white is highest

The scenery_l file is the brightness of grass

I don't know what the splat_low and scenery_s files are for- I tried screwing with them, nothing changed

the terrain.def file states the objects in the world, (such as windmills, trees, pilot positions and skies) and where they are

The default.par file states these files as what they are for the XML to read, and states the minimum and maximum height of terrain.

Hope this helps- If you find something different, I love being proven wrong, so post it.

-Superbarlow

PS. For the slope soarer and glider files, replace them- they include the original files along with the new ones.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,757 Posts
Cool. Thanks, SB. I may screw with it some more tomorrow
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012