Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotttin View Post
Hi Davy,

thanks for taking the time to answer.

The exact model of my graphic card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300 (ie: a card that does not decode DX10... what a pity). I do have all the updated drivers... I could even give it a try with ATI drivers, but up to now, I simply used those of Windows.

The picture stops flickering when in low details, but it's definitively less attractive.

In high resolution, I must say that the squares that define the ground are really not so nice. They look like a series of squares with part that are vivid green and other shadowed parts. When going high up (camera on the tail), this pattern repeats itself on and on... which leads to the flickerish feeling.

Another detail, when using this viewing mode (on the tail of the plane), when zooming out, the tail extends and the the whole perspectives switches, which rather odd.

Anyway, it's a fun sim to use and even my 3 yrs old son loves it.

Thanks a lot!!!
Sounds like the same issue I was having with an ATI Radeon Mobility. I was told that there's not much I could do about it because the card doesn't support the necessary pixel shading (I think - can't really remember what the issue was exactly).
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:55 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Hi Davy...

Probably logged several hundred hours now on the sailplane and enjoy every minute...

Brief comments..

Finding the controls very precise and responsive.. too precise. Using PPJOY and my transmitter, can't even get the plane to fly dead straight using trim. A little bit of slop, particular near neutral settings will add realism.

On the weather side, the wind and gusts are very well simulated. A little wind noise would make a huge difference.

The visual bubble stream thermal indicators are not quite helpful enough to define the thermals...depth perception being my biggest obstacle. You might want to allow the user to increase the density of the bubbles. Without the bubbles, the sim is quite realistic when trying to find the thermals (be nice to see a little more wing twitches!), but the scale of the thermals may be too small in the sim as compared to real life making it more difficult to stay with a thermal in the sim. Still, especially at low windspeeds, the thermals simulation is great. At higher wind speeds, the thermals need to blow with the wind... another increase in processing requirements..!

The sim is great..can't wait for the next update... and thanks for the efforts you've put in...you've given me a lot of joy...

Merry Kerstfeest

Fred
PS.. already posted this once in a new discussion thread by accident... not familiar enough with forums.. oh well.
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:01 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Hi Fred!
Thanks for dropping a note.
Sounds like you've played it more than myself

I received the oversensitive controls comment a couple of times so have added an expo option to the input. It really helps.

You gave me the wind sound suggestion before and I thought that was a really good idea, so I've implemented it for the next release. And you were absolutely right: it adds realism and even helps the flying as you can now also hear when the wind is gusting (is that even a verb in English?). So thanks again for that great idea!

I've increased the size of the thermals (easy change ). I'm still thinking about what to do about the depth perception. I could try letting the bubbles change color, or blink when you're in the thermal. Or maybe add a variometer sound.

I was hoping to release the next version around now, but the helicopter flight model is giving me headaches.

Vrolijk Kerstfeest to you and Merry Christmas to everybody else !

Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
Hi Davy,

The expo option is not in version 0.1.1, right?
I ran the sim on my company laptop (hope they never find out), since my own computer doesn't have the right videocard. And I liked it.

I specifically liked the option to add multiple planes; in reality this is the most exciting thing at a model airfield.

Are you thinking of getting the ground more photorealistic like the sky already is? Even for FMS you can get quite realistic landscapes nowadays.

I would also like to keep the ground in view more. So not keeping the airplane in the center of the view, but a kind of trade-off between the plane and the ground. This will help in keeping the orientation.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Ruud
alt-148 is offline Find More Posts by alt-148
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:04 AM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Hi Michael,
It's nice to know there are fellow C# coders in the R/C ranks! I'll be releasing an SDK pretty soon
Anyway about your problem:
it's probably because it can't find the right Direct3DX assembly. It needs version 1.0.2911.0 of Direct3DX.dll which is included with this version of DirectX. I'm going to include a better check in the next version of the installer. Now it only checks the major version of DirectX.
I have confirmation of people running it on Windows 7 and/or 64-bit without problems.

I hope this fixes your problem. If not, could you send some details about the crash? Do you see the splash screen of the sim?

Thanks!
Davy
Thanks Davy!

Your link here sent me to the 2.0 framework....but when I followed the DX9 route that did it for me. I'm up and running for the most part. Just need some trimming of my radio controls. Recognized my USB connection immediately and was all set up correctly.

I thought the installer did an automatic detect of dependencies to ensure they are on the machine before the installation began!!!

Everything is good to go.
Chopperflyer is offline Find More Posts by Chopperflyer
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperflyer View Post
Thanks Davy!

Your link here sent me to the 2.0 framework....but when I followed the DX9 route that did it for me. I'm up and running for the most part. Just need some trimming of my radio controls. Recognized my USB connection immediately and was all set up correctly.
Thanks for letting us know. Sorry I pasted the wrong link, but I'm glad you've got it working now. Calibration of the controller needs to be done in the Windows Control Panel. The next release will feature an expo setting that will make the controls less sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperflyer View Post
I thought the installer did an automatic detect of dependencies to ensure they are on the machine before the installation began!!!
That was the plan, the installer checks the DX version as it's written in the registry. But apparently that is only the major version, and not the minor. So I have to fix that in the next release.

I hope you like the sim!

Davy
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Sounds like the same issue I was having with an ATI Radeon Mobility. I was told that there's not much I could do about it because the card doesn't support the necessary pixel shading (I think - can't really remember what the issue was exactly).
To Hacker002 and Montag DP or anybody with bad looking scenery during the sim (probably with non-nvidia graphics card): I might have found a fix. Could you download and extract the file below to c:\program files\rc desk pilot\data. You must replace the existing file. If this works I'll improve it in the next version. Could you let me know how it works out?

People without issues better not use the file below as it downgrades the graphics slightly.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Davy
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
thE hACkeR
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Apr 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
To Hacker002 and Montag DP or anybody with bad looking scenery during the sim (probably with non-nvidia graphics card): I might have found a fix. Could you download and extract the file below to c:\program files\rc desk pilot\data. You must replace the existing file. If this works I'll improve it in the next version. Could you let me know how it works out?

People without issues better not use the file below as it downgrades the graphics slightly.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Davy
hi,

download the file and extract it to the file you told. and yes it fixed the problem.

but still have this problem. it had when first installed and still is after downloading the file to fix the ground problem.

the problem is when running the sim on HIGH on the scenery details tab. the plane runs-stop-runs-stop-runs-stop....continuous. but when put it on LOW it runs fine.
hacker002 is offline Find More Posts by hacker002
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:40 AM
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
Hey guys im new to the forum. But i have tested for Electronic Arts. Then some sound design. I will download this today

My system
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
AMD Phenom™ II X4 940 Quad-Core Black Edition 3.0GHz w/ 8MB Cache

8 gigs of mushkin 1066 Ram
8 Tb of hdd space
dual gforce 275 video cards
2 benq 24" 1080-p display's
windows 7 64 bit

anything i can help with i will with one condition I NEED A HELICOPTER IN IT lol
mrmcphisto is offline Find More Posts by mrmcphisto
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:46 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmcphisto View Post
Hey guys im new to the forum. But i have tested for Electronic Arts. Then some sound design. I will download this today

My system
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
AMD Phenom™ II X4 940 Quad-Core Black Edition 3.0GHz w/ 8MB Cache

8 gigs of mushkin 1066 Ram
8 Tb of hdd space
dual gforce 275 video cards
2 benq 24" 1080-p display's
windows 7 64 bit

anything i can help with i will with one condition I NEED A HELICOPTER IN IT lol
Hi mrmcphisto! Welcome to the forum. Any feedback you have is welcome. I think your system will be able to run the sim at reasonable FPS
And your request will be answered very shortly. I finalized the helicopter flight model yesterday
There will only be one model at first though.

Cheers,
Davy
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:09 PM
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
ok im downloading as i type this. I have one question i have a cpv3 and i noticed on the back of the transmitter there looks like a data connection. just wanted to know if any you guys know if that is for plugging in to the computer or just a training connection. if so i have a dx5e comming shortly in the next week. what cable would i need to connect either to my computer
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:27 PM
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
Ok so i have it installed. All i have to use for a controller as of now is a xbox 360 controller. Trying to map the sticks does not seem to work. Can't use left stick for throttle and roll at the same time.

EDIT: My bad i sussed it out so far running in 1080p no issues.

Question 1: is there a way to save settings
Last edited by mrmcphisto; Dec 31, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
Ok first impressions.

For a free sim no one can complain

Interface is nice and clean. what would be nice is a calibration tool for ones controller not all sticks are made the same.

Install took less then 1 min ( must be my system) gotta get rid of ESC to exit it should bring up the menu first.

what program are you using for modeling your air craft. I have 3d studio max maya and a few others and think i just found my new weekend hobbie during the winter months. ill make the aircraft you set up the controls. maybe some new airfields also. i realize this is in its infancy but it can get big

So far A+

cant put the controller down trying everything and anything to bring out the bugs
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:20 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Just found this one

Hi All, Just found this program and thread.

First impression - Great!
Downloaded and installed no problem.
I took an hour first up to read all the comments both here and RCPowers so when my DX6i didn't fire up first time, I soon got that sorted.

I'll be very happy to see more scenery and models as they become available.
For those who have the model skills, I'll be particularly keen to see a Clouds Fly /AXN Floater jet/EasyFly model.
I fly a CF - but poorly - so need to get practice on the sim.

Cheers,
Peter
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:24 AM
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker002 View Post
the problem is when running the sim on HIGH on the scenery details tab. the plane runs-stop-runs-stop-runs-stop....continuous. but when put it on LOW it runs fine.
Hi Hacker, I installed it on my old Pentium 4 pc and it had the same problem. The problem disappeared though when playing on full screen (not a maximized windows, but truely full screen). Could you try that? Also, if you don't have a multi-core processor, temporarily turning off the virusscanner might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmcphisto
what program are you using for modeling your air craft. I have 3d studio max maya and a few others and think i just found my new weekend hobbie during the winter months. ill make the aircraft you set up the controls. maybe some new airfields also. i realize this is in its infancy but it can get big
Thanks for your comments mrmcphisto. The models are in DirectX .x format. There are .x export plugins available for 3DS MAX (e.g. Panda X exporter), or you can use blender or metasequoia to convert from .3ds. Unfortunately the current and upcoming version doesn't support add-on aircraft and scenery yet (although you can replace the models of the current aircraft). But it is planned within the next months.
I've got a new release coming up within the next days with lots of stuff to test for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern
I took an hour first up to read all the comments both here and RCPowers so when my DX6i didn't fire up first time, I soon got that sorted.
Thanks Peter for your feedback. I get quite a lot of questions about the DX series of controllers but don't own one myself, so could you elaborate on which cable you used for the Dx6i? I'm sure other owners would appreciate that.

Cheers!
Davy