HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:27 AM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
803 Posts
I downloaded this sim and, after fussing with the calibration of my new Dx6i, I flew it for the first time last nite; what a hoot! I have not flown RC in twenty years and it is great to have this program to practice with before my 'real' plane gets here for Christmas.

My son is going to learn to fly with me and I would like him to be able to use this simulator on his computer at home, but he does not have an internet connection at this time. Is there a way I can copy or download the RCDeskpilot program to a flash drive and then install it on his computer?

Thanks for all your work on this!

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
My son is going to learn to fly with me and I would like him to be able to use this simulator on his computer at home, but he does not have an internet connection at this time. Is there a way I can copy or download the RCDeskpilot program to a flash drive and then install it on his computer?
Sure, you could save the installer from the website to your flash drive. It's possible that your son hasn't got the correct DirectX and .NET runtime installed, so it's important you take those along as well. The .NET runtime can be downloaded here. The DirectX runtime is a bit tougher since there isn't a portable installer available from the Microsoft website that I know of. So I've archived it and placed it on my website for you here. This zip file contains the installer for the correct DirectX version.
I hope it works out. R/C is a great hobby for a father and son!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
Thanks for all your work on this!

Don
You're welcome . Thanks for your comments.

Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:57 PM
USA, FL, Deltona
Joined Nov 2008
47 Posts
Works Great here windows 7 64 bit

Love the electric sailplane

Thanks
Gerardjg is offline Find More Posts by Gerardjg
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:09 PM
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
Hi there,

I dowloaded RC Desk Pilot and used it... it's a very good software... but I ran into an issue with makes it a pain to use.

I have a laptop with an ATI mobility Radeon. For some reason, the whole picture flickers.

Is there any workaround???

Thanks
nikotttin is offline Find More Posts by nikotttin
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotttin View Post
Hi there,

I dowloaded RC Desk Pilot and used it... it's a very good software... but I ran into an issue with makes it a pain to use.

I have a laptop with an ATI mobility Radeon. For some reason, the whole picture flickers.

Is there any workaround???

Thanks
Hi nikottin,
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Do you know the exact model of your graphics chip and do you have the latest driver installed? Is it the whole screen that flickers or just the ground? If the latter, it's a shader thing, and switching to low detail scenery should fix it. Does it happen both in full screen and windowed mode? Try pressing F2 in the sim and play with the low-level Direct3D settings to see if it makes a difference.
Hope this helps,
Davy
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:04 PM
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Hi nikottin,
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Do you know the exact model of your graphics chip and do you have the latest driver installed? Is it the whole screen that flickers or just the ground? If the latter, it's a shader thing, and switching to low detail scenery should fix it. Does it happen both in full screen and windowed mode? Try pressing F2 in the sim and play with the low-level Direct3D settings to see if it makes a difference.
Hope this helps,
Davy
Hi Davy,

thanks for taking the time to answer.

The exact model of my graphic card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300 (ie: a card that does not decode DX10... what a pity). I do have all the updated drivers... I could even give it a try with ATI drivers, but up to now, I simply used those of Windows.

The picture stops flickering when in low details, but it's definitively less attractive.

In high resolution, I must say that the squares that define the ground are really not so nice. They look like a series of squares with part that are vivid green and other shadowed parts. When going high up (camera on the tail), this pattern repeats itself on and on... which leads to the flickerish feeling.

Another detail, when using this viewing mode (on the tail of the plane), when zooming out, the tail extends and the the whole perspectives switches, which rather odd.

Anyway, it's a fun sim to use and even my 3 yrs old son loves it.

Thanks a lot!!!
nikotttin is offline Find More Posts by nikotttin
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
System does ctd on Windows 7

Hi there!

I'm a C# senior developer and was really impressed with the work you are doing on your simulator. I downloaded it right away and tried to run it. It indicates it is starting up the immediately crashes to desktop.

I never recieve a chance to debug which indicates it is either a framework thing or your code and Windows 7 are incompatible. Anyway, here is my info:

HP Pavialion DX5-1002US
4G memory
165G SATA drive
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics card (worst part of the system)
ESky OEM 4 channel USB controller

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installed
32-bit thunk layer has all frameworks from 1.0 to 3.5
64-bit layer has frameworks 2.0 to 3.5

Other processes running:
Sql Server 2005 Developer
Visual Studio 2008 Professional
Napster
avast!

Glad to give you any other info or help with this.
Michael
Chopperflyer is offline Find More Posts by Chopperflyer
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:53 AM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperflyer View Post
I'm a C# senior developer and was really impressed with the work you are doing on your simulator. I downloaded it right away and tried to run it. It indicates it is starting up the immediately crashes to desktop.
Hi Michael,
It's nice to know there are fellow C# coders in the R/C ranks! I'll be releasing an SDK pretty soon
Anyway about your problem:
it's probably because it can't find the right Direct3DX assembly. It needs version 1.0.2911.0 of Direct3DX.dll which is included with this version of DirectX. I'm going to include a better check in the next version of the installer. Now it only checks the major version of DirectX.
I have confirmation of people running it on Windows 7 and/or 64-bit without problems.

I hope this fixes your problem. If not, could you send some details about the crash? Do you see the splash screen of the sim?

Thanks!
Davy
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:48 PM
Fulton, NY
Joined Mar 2008
199 Posts
Thank you sir. I've downloaded this on an newer e-machine but with XP. It works fine. I have pre-flight, clearview, and FMS. Clearview is my favorite only because of the massive support and downloads available. RC desktop is awesome. Hope it gets plenty of group support.
xj35s is online now Find More Posts by xj35s
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:33 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj35s View Post
Thank you sir. I've downloaded this on an newer e-machine but with XP. It works fine. I have pre-flight, clearview, and FMS. Clearview is my favorite only because of the massive support and downloads available. RC desktop is awesome. Hope it gets plenty of group support.
Thanks!
It's still a work in progress, so it'll become better over time. And the group support has been great so far!

Davy
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:45 PM
thE hACkeR
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Apr 2009
277 Posts
hi,

try to run the sim, but i always get this. what could be and how to fix it? any help will be great.

update: fix the problem, just had to download the latest update.

NOW the problem i have is that the ground flicks
hacker002 is offline Find More Posts by hacker002
Last edited by hacker002; Dec 20, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:46 PM
thE hACkeR
Joined Apr 2009
277 Posts
here how it looks.....

how do i fix it????
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:00 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker002 View Post
here how it looks.....

how do i fix it????
Guys, I think Davey is doing a fine job with the development of this simulator. However in order to debug issues I'm sure it would help him (and others) if people provided details of their system, and what OS it is running, especially details of the graphic cards where the issue are graphics related.
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C View Post
Guys, I think Davey is doing a fine job with the development of this simulator. However in order to debug issues I'm sure it would help him (and others) if people provided details of their system, and what OS it is running, especially details of the graphic cards where the issue are graphics related.
Malc is correct: your graphics card is important in this case. I suspect your card doesn't support the necessary shader, can you post the type? I'll investigate whether I can include a more graceful fallback, but for now you'll have to revert to setting scenery detail to low. This should stop the flicker.

Cheers,
Davy
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:55 PM
thE hACkeR
Joined Apr 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Malc is correct: your graphics card is important in this case. I suspect your card doesn't support the necessary shader, can you post the type? I'll investigate whether I can include a more graceful fallback, but for now you'll have to revert to setting scenery detail to low. This should stop the flicker.

Cheers,
Davy
thanks,

running windows xp pro sp3, pentium 4 HT, 2gb ram. graphic card is PCI-express ATI Radeon X300 128Mb