HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:38 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,687 Posts
Hi flyers! (sic)

Thought I'd share this Vulcan that I made for some folks in FMS land.
The Vulcan seems to fly quite well when built for RC and there
were very few available for the RC sims.

Give this one a try when you get a chance.

Avro Vulcan bomber for RCDP

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Very nice Vulcan, ggunners. Thanks. I like the fact that you've given it a working rudder. It makes landing on the runway look a lot more scale, plus I just like rudders.

I notice when I land it, it sits on its tail though - the nose leg doesn't touch down. Can that be fixed without messing up the CG?

Also, it would be nice if it could be placed on the runway for the take off. Does BMI have a way of choosing a hand launch or a runway take off, or do you just have to have it programmed into the model?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,687 Posts
You can edit all those items with the model editor. -- ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:58 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Thanks, ggunners. I had a play with it, and found the setting to start the plane from the runway. I also found the setting to adjust the CG so I tried moving it more forwards (which turned out to be moving the slider to the left).

Even with the CG so far forwards the plane can't take off any more, the nose wheel doesn't touch the ground unless the plane has built up some speed. In the end I tried it all the way to the left (-2.0) just to see the effect but it still didn't fix it. It did seem to make the nose wheel touch down sooner as the plane speeded up along the ground though.

With the CG set so it can take off and fly, I can land it on the runway under power and the nose wheel stays down but only until the speed falls to a certain level, then it pops up again.

It's not a big problem. Mostly I'm just curious about how it works. Are the main undercarriage legs still in front of the CG, even with it changed to -2?

Incidentally, I'm getting a lot of crashes today, with the BMF Flight Simulator version (which is what I normally use) but RC DeskPilot crashed too. I've been letting it send the automatic error reports.

I'm assuming it's something to do with using the aircraft editor. After a couple of cycles of using that then the BMI sim, the sim crashes politely, with a DirectX error of some sort, mostly about not having enough graphics memory. It then generally does the same thing each time until I reboot.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,687 Posts
OK, the CG was off because the 3D model CG was off.

I fixed it up and it now takes off from the ground.

You can adjust the wheel positions using the editor too under the
"Collision" tab, called landing gear points.

Download it again. Avro Vulcan Camo for RCDP.

-- ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunners View Post
(About his version of Avro Vulcan).
Actually, I made a model of my version of the Vulcan (from my thread you also posted in). Yours feels quite bomber-like and heavier. My model of the model flies almost exactly like the real-world model. That is, it is more spirited. Goes (almost) unlimited vertical and pulls tight loops, but on low rates, or if you don't push the sticks too hard, can be very docile. Oh, and with the elevon travel set like I have, she doesn't stall *at all*, at least from level flight.

Mind you, this is not a complaint. Only a comment to say that there was a model of the Vulcan for RCDP.

-kepa
kepa is offline Find More Posts by kepa
Last edited by kepa; Jan 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added 'almost'
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,687 Posts
I saw your model Kepa. It is very cool. My Vulcan was requested for FMS and as I usually do, I make one for RC Desk Pilot and ClearView too. So, it never hurts to have another Vulcan. -- ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:27 PM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
I saw your model Kepa. It is very cool.
Thanks!
Quote:
So, it never hurts to have another Vulcan.
You know, it's really cool that some enthusiastic people made one real Vulcan fly again. I wish I can one day see and hear it flying. But as you say, it wouldn't hurt to see many of them. In formation, or more distant. Not that I especially like the mission(s) they would be on, but just to see them do their duty. So keep'em flying! In the model world, at least!

-kepa
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Combat

Me and a friend were talking and had an idea that you could allow users to go online and fly together in combat or just fly.
Ready to Fly 1 is offline Find More Posts by Ready to Fly 1
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Hi guys, is RC Desktop still available somewhere? The links are all dead...
LudwigB is offline Find More Posts by LudwigB
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigB View Post
Hi guys, is RC Desktop still available somewhere? The links are all dead...
BMI Flight Sim here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
MN
Joined Jun 2006
395 Posts
BMI won't work, RCDP does

Quote:
I for the life of me cannot get BMI to recognize my controller RCDP work just fine since I got a new cord, would really like to fly off of the water with the Icon A-5. Since I'm going back to school I simply can't afford a new plane.
geekmedic is offline Find More Posts by geekmedic
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Is that the revised version, or just a good substitute? :O)
LudwigB is offline Find More Posts by LudwigB
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Quote:
OK, the CG was off because the 3D model CG was off.

I fixed it up and it now takes off from the ground.

You can adjust the wheel positions using the editor too under the
"Collision" tab, called landing gear points.

-- ggunners
Thanks, ggunners. That's much better. I really must get round to reading the editor manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepa View Post
Thanks!

You know, it's really cool that some enthusiastic people made one real Vulcan fly again. I wish I can one day see and hear it flying.
I've seen, and heard it fly, at the RAF Cosford Air Show, a couple of years ago. It was very impressive doing low banking turns. A bit sinister too, yes. It's a shame they weren't bought up by a freight company to ship model kits from China With the range and payload, they'd be ideal.

I downloaded most if not all of the models in this thread. Was yours the white one, kepa? I like that one too. I've been thinking for a while that a spare Stryker airframe could be made into a rough copy of a vulcan, and I'd expect it to fly a bit more like that one.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Was yours the white one, kepa? I like that one too.
Yes, that is the one. Thank you. As I've said, I tried to make the model of the model fly as realistically as I could. And my real world model was dark Depron gray at first and now sports a modified camo pattern, but I couldn't (be arsed to) get that onto my Sketchup model.

-kepa