HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:34 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Righto, fixed the Dell. Its being used in the upstairs study as a web browser and printing station

The new PC has a 4 x 2.7GHz processors, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a 1024MB GeForce video card. I'm back in the game!

RCDeskPilot works very nicely Davy, thankyou and everyone else who has worked on both it and the models for it. I'm not the type of person who would pay $200+ for an RC sim but definitely like the free sims out there, and this one takes the cake!

Thanks again - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:29 PM
Columbus Ohio.
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
Hey Davy...
This flight simulator is a super effort by you an your collaborators!!!
It's fantastic!!!!!!

I have a quick question for you. I'd like to see if the following software tweak is feasible.

I think it would be fun to race planes around two pylons spread 50 yards apart. I'm not talking about going through the centers of two pylons. What I'm thinking about is more like two 25 foot high flagpoles designating the endpoints of the 50 yard course. The poles would actually be those "feather banners" that you see sold at kite shops.

The planes wouldn't be 100 mph pylon racers, but I'm thinking more along the lines of planes with 13x4 or 15x4 props giving top speeds of somewhere around 30 mph...slow speeds...lots of thrust. I figure with the acceleration, deceleration, and the turning...the time for a single lap would be somewhere in the 10 to 15 second range.

So assuming the current runway is the pylon track, with two pylons positioned at each end (50 yards total separation)...the trick is to fly maybe 5 to 15 feet off of the ground...do a tight left-hand turn around the pylon...and then back to the other pylon...another tight left...etc. Also the idea is to stay below the tops of the pylons in the turns.

I'm in the process of designing a real life foamy that will fill the bill of a slow and maneuverable pylon plane, but for practice, I'm using the simulator with the Extra 3D airplane at about half throttle flying low and doing tight turns right next to the ground.

The thing I notice is...when I lose sight of the ground I get disoriented...
Of course the computer display doesn't have as wide a field of view as the human eye.
And if you zoom back to provide a wider field...the plane becomes a dot.

But I wonder if instead of always having the plane centered in the very middle of the screen, if you could you add an option to have the plane centered on the 33.3% horizontal line from the top...or maybe even 25%. Or maybe have option boxes to click...25%, 30%, 35%, 40%, 45% and centered(default).

Hopefully from a programming prospective it would just be a matter of clipping the top of the image and including more of the ground to display...

I also think, in general, that having more ground display would help for the beginner pilot. So many times when you lose sight of the ground you lose orientation.

P.S. Assuming the widest angle view is "zoom level #1", I like to fly in the defalut "zoom level #4". That's the zoom level where I've been practicing and where I could use more ground display.

Anyway...just an idea...
Regards,
Jim K.
RJKIRK is offline Find More Posts by RJKIRK
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your message and your ideas. About the ground-in-view: that's already kinda implemented in the current BMI version of the sim (http://rcdeskpilot.com/bmi) and the next version of RCDP, that hopefully will be available soon. Try it out and let me know if you can think of improvements.

The Reno-style pylon racing you describe would be very fun in multiplayer mode. Unfortunately that's not done yet , but it's on the list...

Cheers!
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:39 PM
Columbus Ohio.
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
I tried out the BMI version but didn't see a noticable difference between it and DPRC concerning the amount of ground shown. Maybe I don't know where to tweak it? Old version of BMI maybe? On the splash screen of the BMI it says version 2.1.30634.

Anyway, seeing additional ground by flying plane higher on the display, and Reno pylon racing, would both be cool. I'll be waiting for the next release.

Great job!!!!!

P.S. I've got a fast computer, so the splash screens pass by so quickly, it's hard to catch the version number. Perhaps the version number could be added to the menu screen. That way, when someone reports an issue, it's easy to determine which version they are running, without having to catch it on a quickly disappearing splash screen.
RJKIRK is offline Find More Posts by RJKIRK
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:00 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,515 Posts
Will this sim work for a tri or quadcopter?
Would like to try one to see if I like that style of flying.
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
86 Posts
I've just found this SIM, ordered a cable last night and waiting for it to get in so I can test this out. I've already bookmarked some sites that have models to download and excited to start learning to fly again. I was using FMS (with mono cable), but was having issues with it running on Win7.

Maybe it's too soon to think about this, but I'm also interested in creating some models for fun and have already downloaded the RCDP Aircraft Editor Manual. To the point, (I'm sorry if this has been addressed some place already), but is there a tutorial on how to port FMS models to R/C Desk Pilot?

From what I can tell there isn't a converter. However, I thought I saw someplace there is a way to import the graphical part from a FMS model into RCDP, then set the parameters as per the RCDP Aircraft Editor Manual. But, now I can't seem to find where I saw that.

Thanks in advance!!!

Matt
ithink2020 is offline Find More Posts by ithink2020
Last edited by ithink2020; Dec 20, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithink2020 View Post
I've just found this SIM, ordered a cable last night and waiting for it to get in so I can test this out. I've already bookmarked some sites that have models to download and excited to start learning to fly again. I was using FMS (with mono cable), but was having issues with it running on Win7.

Maybe it's too soon to think about this, but I'm also interested in creating some models for fun and have already downloaded the RCDP Aircraft Editor Manual. To the point, (I'm sorry if this has been addressed some place already), but is there a tutorial on how to port FMS models to R/C Desk Pilot?

From what I can tell there isn't a converter. However, I thought I saw someplace there is a way to import the graphical part from a FMS model into RCDP, then set the parameters as per the RCDP Aircraft Editor Manual. But, now I can't seem to find where I saw that.

Thanks in advance!!!

Matt
Hi Matt
There's a couple of ways to do a FMS 2 RCDP port, but it takes a bit or work and patience.
Both FM and RCDP use the direct.x file format for the 3D model and a possible texture file (or artwork file) to color the plane.
The RCDP aircraft editor will open most FMS .x files, then you must manually enter all the plane's specifications and flight parameters.

If you want moving parts, like the rudder and elevators you will have to create different .x files for RCDP to use. FMS has all the parts in one file. To do this you can open the FMS.x file in GeoEx.exe, convert it to a .dfx file, then open the .dfx and edit it (seperate the parts) in Metasequoia 2.3LE. You may also have to redo the coloring or texture mapping in Metasequoia.
Save the individual plane parts as .x files and reassemble in the RCDP aircraft editor along with entering the plane specs, sound, etc.

GeoEx.exe - http://translate.google.com/translat...i%2Fgeoex.html
Like the FMS problem/fix you will need the d3drm.dll file placed in the same folder as GeoEx.exe for it to work. It works for Vista.. I know not about Win7.

Metasequoia - http://www.metaseq.net/english/index.html

Gunners' FMS page has the older Meta2.3LE version to open the .dfx file. (2.4 didn't work for me)- http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm

Some FMS zips (Gunners' does) come with a Metasequoia file (.mqo) so you don't have to convert to a .dfx file.

To learn Meta, this is a good tutorial - http://rcp.web.infoseek.co.jp/fms/Metasequoia_e.htm

Good luck to you and have fun.
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined Oct 2006
86 Posts
Awesome! Thank you Eves!!! I'll have to give this a go and see what I come up with!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:01 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,708 Posts
Just added an Sbach 342 for RCDP flyers.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:01 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,770 Posts
love the sim
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:46 PM
Joined Oct 2006
86 Posts
MOD: Please delete this post.
Last edited by ithink2020; Dec 29, 2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Found the info I was looking for.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
86 Posts
Re: DX6i issues with USB Sim Cable

Created new Thread HERE.

That way I'm not hijacking this one.

Matt
Last edited by ithink2020; Dec 29, 2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added much needed detail to post. Update added.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Oct 2006
86 Posts
So I finally got to play with RCDP last night....I LOVE IT!!! I found it was much easier to keep the plane in front of me, compared to FMS.

Thank you for the SIM!!!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
12 Posts
autogyro twin blade ? or outlaw ?

sorry have not had time yet to go though all pages has any done a twin rota autogyro yet or extreme flight outlaw would love these on rcdesk top
crispinchurch is offline Find More Posts by crispinchurch
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:57 PM
Australia, SA, Penfield Gardens
Joined Nov 2011
10 Posts
Help setting up Tx for sim.

Hey, I have downloaded the sim and it looks awesome-great job!
But...
I cannot get my tx to work with it.
I have a Turnigy 9x from Hk with a 3.5mm mini jack cable that connects it to the pc through the headphone jack. This is the first time I have tried anything like this so could one of you guys give a few suggestions as to what I need to do.
I tried following this tutorial thing for setting up the tx-
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum...s.asp?TID=1428
but everything seems different and the programs do not work because I have no idea how to change the device signing to allow unsigned devices to work.
Any help will be much appreciated.
My Pc is a Toshiba satalite, 8Gb ram, windows 7, 64bit.
the sim works fine but the tx doesn't.

EDIT: worked it out, plugged the tx into the microphone port instead of the headphone one and it seems to work fine now. What a brilliant sim, great job!
rcDawson is offline Find More Posts by rcDawson
Last edited by rcDawson; Jan 04, 2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Worked out the problem