HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 22, 2009, 06:53 PM
Heli Bouncer
Looooeeee!'s Avatar
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Lewis,
thank you for your comments. Like with ggunners, your comments are very useful.
I use the same .x format as FMS for the 3D models, with seperate files for the control surfaces.
You may have already looked at my .par files describing the aircraft parameters. It is in human readable XML format. I do use datatables for lift and drag coefficients. I still have a lot of work to do on the flight model part, in particular the propulsion is in a very crude form at the moment.
Something you might be interested in is that I'll be releasing an SDK for the flight model soon. This will allow you to write your own flight model code as a plugin (not just the aircraft parameters). Someone with more aerodynamic expertise (who also kindly provided me with Cl and Cd graphs) is trying it out at the moment.
At a later stage I hope to release an easy-to-use editor (maybe with ggunners suggested sliders in a 'basic mode') to create your own aircraft. But that's unfortunately not for tomorrow.
I plan to have a look whether I can easily import FMS models as this would of course instantly multiply the number of models available.

rknbhg,
thank you for letting us know your Windows 7, 64-bit results.

I have one development screenshot I would like to share, it might be of interest for Malc C

Cheers,
Davy

Thanks Dave for your comments, I take it this SDK plug-in will work under creaky old programs like Win98SE?

You're welcome to some of my old 3D files for FMS once this program gets going. Although they tend to be old WWI and earlier models.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2009, 02:17 PM
Registered User
GeneralFailure's Avatar
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee! View Post
Thanks Dave for your comments, I take it this SDK plug-in will work under creaky old programs like Win98SE?
I'm not even sure the current sim works in Win98SE . But if it does, so will the SDK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee! View Post
You're welcome to some of my old 3D files for FMS once this program gets going. Although they tend to be old WWI and earlier models.
That's super! But I hope you'll be able to release them yourself soon when I'm ready to open up the aircraft models.

Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
I would really love to take this sim for a spin.

But is doesn't run on my PC. Everytime I start the program, I get this error message:
Name: ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 23 22.41.jpg
Views: 208
Size: 10.1 KB
Description:
When I select yes, I get this message:
Name: ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 23 22.42.jpg
Views: 153
Size: 18.5 KB
Description:

What is wrong? I updated DirectX and the driver of my graphics card (Nvidia GeForce MX440 with AGP8X).
alt-148 is offline Find More Posts by alt-148
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:49 PM
Registered User
GeneralFailure's Avatar
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt-148 View Post
I would really love to take this sim for a spin.

But is doesn't run on my PC. Everytime I start the program, I get this error message:
Attachment 2892270
When I select yes, I get this message:
Attachment 2892278

What is wrong? I updated DirectX and the driver of my graphics card (Nvidia GeForce MX440 with AGP8X).
Hi alt-148,
I'm sorry to tell you that your graphics card doesn't fully support DirectX 9, so the sim won't work until you upgrade
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts

That will take a long time with my budget.

This means I have to stick to FMS for a while...
but I will follow this thread nevertheless. The screendumps so far give the impression it will be worth the wait.

Ruud
alt-148 is offline Find More Posts by alt-148
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:46 PM
Registered User
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Ruud, what's the spec of your PC ?
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
I just tried the latest version (the one posted on the site).
A few constructive remarks :
-the most important thing is the flight model: the current one is promising, but the planes (I tried the Cessna and the P-51) fly like bricks
Really, they fly like they have a very high wing loading, even though they shouldn't: one of them is a Cessna and the other one is a flat foamie which should float like a butterfly (or close) . Consistent with the high wing loading they fly unrealistically fast, almost like a rocket !
-since they fly so fast, I didn't even try to see how they behave in stalling regimes
-the controls are super responsive, much more so than feels natural, especially for the Cessna (maybe the P-51 is design to be very responsive, I wouldn't know).
Suggestion: allow the user to define high and low rates according to his/her taste.
-the graphics are good and the CPU consumption seems to be ok: on my computer the animation is very fluid even on max resolution 1920x1200.

All in all things look good. I think that implementing these two changes is not a lot of work and improve the user experience immensely:
-allow the user to define the control rates (should be very easy)
-allow the user to alter the parameters of your flight model, at least the important ones like mass (therefore wing loading), maybe drag, etc..
One other suggestion which will be very important for the future: allow the users to create their own planes, or even import planes from FMS, Realflight, FS One, etc.
Keep up the good work.
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:09 PM
Heli Bouncer
Looooeeee!'s Avatar
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast View Post
I just tried the latest version (the one posted on the site).
A few constructive remarks :
-the most important thing is the flight model: the current one is promising, but the planes (I tried the Cessna and the P-51) fly like bricks
Really, they fly like they have a very high wing loading, even though they shouldn't: one of them is a Cessna and the other one is a flat foamie which should float like a butterfly (or close) . Consistent with the high wing loading they fly unrealistically fast, almost like a rocket !
-since they fly so fast, I didn't even try to see how they behave in stalling regimes
-the controls are super responsive, much more so than feels natural, especially for the Cessna (maybe the P-51 is design to be very responsive, I wouldn't know).
Suggestion: allow the user to define high and low rates according to his/her taste.
-the graphics are good and the CPU consumption seems to be ok: on my computer the animation is very fluid even on max resolution 1920x1200.

All in all things look good. I think that implementing these two changes is not a lot of work and improve the user experience immensely:
-allow the user to define the control rates (should be very easy)
-allow the user to alter the parameters of your flight model, at least the important ones like mass (therefore wing loading), maybe drag, etc..
One other suggestion which will be very important for the future: allow the users to create their own planes, or even import planes from FMS, Realflight, FS One, etc.
Keep up the good work.
Well I'm expecting the SDK program will allow you to adjust the parameters of the flight model sufficiently to make this all good.

Of course with FMS you can always copy in a FM that you like, I'm assuming Dave has more on his plate right now that need attention, since this isn't even finalized as a sim. I'd say it's in very early beta form.

It sounds like you can import easily FMS models because they are .X format 3D files although he did say the animated parts are of another 3D format.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 03:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C View Post
Ruud, what's the spec of your PC ?
Hi Malc,

I have a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP Professional v.2002 SP3. My video card is a Nvidia GEFORCE MX440 with APG8X.

Ruud
alt-148 is offline Find More Posts by alt-148
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:51 PM
Registered User
AZcrashpro's Avatar
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast View Post
Really, they fly like they have a very high wing loading, even though they shouldn't: one of them is a Cessna and the other one is a flat foamie which should float like a butterfly (or close) .
The P-51 is actually my plane and that was as close as we could get it to fly with the current flight model. The actual model does NOT float like a butterfly and in fact may float more in the sim than the actual model does.

Mike
AZcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 03:20 AM
Registered User
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Rudd, if your video controller is on a separate card then upgrade it to the modern day equivalent, doesn't have to be expensive, 30 - 50 should get you a good one, the difficulty might be in finding one in agp format as most are now PCIe

Also up the RAM in your PC. You'll notice a hell of a difference if you remove the 512MB and stick in 2 x 1GB Dimms
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 04:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
Thanks Malc!

I'll give it a thought.

Ruud
alt-148 is offline Find More Posts by alt-148
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 07:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcrashpro View Post
The P-51 is actually my plane and that was as close as we could get it to fly with the current flight model. The actual model does NOT float like a butterfly and in fact may float more in the sim than the actual model does.

Mike
Hey AZcrashpro,

You piqued my interest: what are the dimensions, wing are and weight of your plane (or just the wing loading) ?
Is your plane a lot heavier than other foamies of the same wing area (and dimensions) ?
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:35 PM
Registered User
AZcrashpro's Avatar
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast View Post
Hey AZcrashpro,

You piqued my interest: what are the dimensions, wing are and weight of your plane (or just the wing loading) ?
Is your plane a lot heavier than other foamies of the same wing area (and dimensions) ?
It has a 36 inch wing span and comes in around 12 ounces. My builds tend to come in heavy and I have never figured out wing loading on any model I have owned, I wouldn't even know how to calculate it. It is made from 6mm depron which adds a lot of weight I know several foamies this size are made from 3mm. I may have to try 3mm, maybe the would fly better.

Mike

BTW, Always looking for beta testers send me a PM if you want some details.
AZcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 04:04 AM
Registered User
GeneralFailure's Avatar
Joined Apr 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast View Post
You piqued my interest: what are the dimensions, wing are and weight of your plane (or just the wing loading) ?
Is your plane a lot heavier than other foamies of the same wing area (and dimensions) ?
Hi flylowfast,
Mike has a video of the plane in action over on his website http://www.bmkdesigns.net/.

The sim model probably is a bit too fast. You can adjust the parameters of the sim airplane by editing the .par file in notepad (or an XML editor). The parameters are described in a simple XML format. For instance, if you want to make the plane lighter, change the <mass>0.9</mass> line. All units are in metric/iso units, so mass is in kilogram, lengths in m, angles in radians,...
If you've improved any of the .par files, I would love to try it (as would others here as well probably).

Cheers,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Atlanta area micro r/c heli pilot needed ASAP Greg McNair Aerial Photography 1 Nov 13, 2006 06:20 AM
For Sale (71)r/c digest mags up for bid bigtfortulsa Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Jan 11, 2006 09:29 AM
For Sale Old r/c Digest magazines up for bid bigtfortulsa Non R/C Items (FS/W) 0 Jan 11, 2006 09:24 AM
R/C Airship Pilot Needed - Orlando, FL Stevens AeroModel Parkflyers 4 Mar 18, 2002 10:24 PM