SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:51 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I have about the same tach readings. I may try an 11" prop. If that does not do it for me, I think I will use a 4S as long as the motor lasts. I may have another motor that will get me up to the 200W range. At 3S, it was just not getting the job done. I fly outdoors so I want to ensure I have enough power for the usual winds we have.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Wayne
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2013, 03:54 PM
Gainesville, TX
Joined Feb 2002
90 Posts
anybody use an e-flight 400 outrunner on this plane with a 10x4.7?
dntmn is offline Find More Posts by dntmn
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2012
392 Posts
The eflite 400 is a good motor. It is around 55g
boa2110 is offline Find More Posts by boa2110
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:35 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
597 Posts
I've used a 10x7 and 11x4.7 on that motor with great results. (Not on this bird but on depron models) Both will give you even more thrust without overstressing the motor.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Oct 09, 2013, 10:26 AM
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
using doubled dtf for this possible?

hi I cant find any epp in ontario for a reasonable price so i cut up enough rediboard to make a square inch and weighed it on the scale at work and it came in at .085grams now according to this website http://www.rcfoam.com/stpg.php?page_...on_epp_density 9mmepp is .18g per sq2 so i should be able to make this out of dtf right?
c0ryp1 is offline Find More Posts by c0ryp1
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Apr 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ryp1 View Post
... so i should be able to make this out of dtf right?
I made a 36" from DTFB and it works fine. 42" should be good.

This is made from Blucore/Fan fold foam.
42yak (3 min 44 sec)
Last edited by boa2110; Oct 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Nov 2013
3 Posts
is this motor http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/P...t/2208-12-A-BP to small for the 42 inch made out of DTF? i weighed everything rdy to fly and came to 600 grams but im pretty sure that is to heavy for that motor correct?
amoran15 is offline Find More Posts by amoran15
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoran15 View Post
is this motor http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/P...t/2208-12-A-BP to small for the 42 inch made out of DTF? i weighed everything rdy to fly and came to 600 grams but im pretty sure that is to heavy for that motor correct?
Your 135 watt motor would be good for something in the 200-250g range. Start looking for something around 250-300 watts which at 600 grams (almost a pound an a half) will give you about 200 watts per pound which is a minimum for 3D performance. 100 watts per pound is trainer/sport flyer performance with no real vertical maneuvers

look at http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/PROD/BA/2810-12-A-BP or
http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/PROD/BA/2217-06-A-BP
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Nov 2013
3 Posts
thanks for the help i never know when they post the motor specs stating is for such and such weight if they include the electronics or just empty plane in that figure
amoran15 is offline Find More Posts by amoran15
Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:54 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoran15 View Post
thanks for the help i never know when they post the motor specs stating is for such and such weight if they include the electronics or just empty plane in that figure
usually that is all up flying weight, battery and everything
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 07:55 AM
Joined Aug 2013
9 Posts
I am getting ready to building one of these and have a few questions,

The plans have a KF airfoil but Fancy Foam sells them with a full air foil. Anyone fly both, what is the flight difference, does the full air foil fly that much better?

Are there any plans for the full air foil for the 42 Yak somewhere so I can make my own?

Thanks,
Troy
TroyC is offline Find More Posts by TroyC
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:11 AM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
i made the 42 edge with with kf and used the right step as well as tapered the leading edge and it did not realy fly like a airfoil plane. it was on the slow side and was not as good as the airfioled planes of similar size. the airfiol will go faster maintain speed through terns and will draw straighter lines. . after lots more reading on rc grupes and a few more planes-
1 for a do it your self plane yak - do a good job tapering the trailing edge of the ailerons and rounding the leading edge for less high steed hunting. laminating with "new stuff" 1.7 cp film will let it slip thrugh the air with less power and improve durability a ton. don't bother with kf

full airfoil
i have looked for airfoil plans and they are not really available. you could get a get a hot wire set up going and choose a airfoill but motorhead has already done the r and d. buy the fancyfoam kit. i bet it would be cheeper than ordering all the foam and getting a hot-wire going. i would guess at 3 sheets of 24 by 48 9mm epp cuz you will have to triple the wings to cut the core. you could ask for laminating film from fancy foam and it could save more shipping.
mattnat is offline Find More Posts by mattnat
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyC View Post
I am getting ready to building one of these and have a few questions,

The plans have a KF airfoil but Fancy Foam sells them with a full air foil. Anyone fly both, what is the flight difference, does the full air foil fly that much better?
I made one with a flat plate(single layer foam) wing and I also made an air foiled wing by using 2 pieces of foam and running the spar in between. Both work. I like the flat plate for light weight and its slow flying abilities.
Last edited by boa2110; Feb 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:04 AM
Joined Aug 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnat View Post
i made the 42 edge with with kf and used the right step as well as tapered the leading edge and it did not realy fly like a airfoil plane. it was on the slow side and was not as good as the airfioled planes of similar size. the airfiol will go faster maintain speed through terns and will draw straighter lines. . after lots more reading on rc grupes and a few more planes-
1 for a do it your self plane yak - do a good job tapering the trailing edge of the ailerons and rounding the leading edge for less high steed hunting. laminating with "new stuff" 1.7 cp film will let it slip thrugh the air with less power and improve durability a ton. don't bother with kf

full airfoil
i have looked for airfoil plans and they are not really available. you could get a get a hot wire set up going and choose a airfoill but motorhead has already done the r and d. buy the fancyfoam kit. i bet it would be cheeper than ordering all the foam and getting a hot-wire going. i would guess at 3 sheets of 24 by 48 9mm epp cuz you will have to triple the wings to cut the core. you could ask for laminating film from fancy foam and it could save more shipping.

Thanks the info, Mattnat,

Like your idea on tapering the flat wing and the new stuff I never heard of will have to check it out.

Will the flat wing handle wind ok? I picked the 42" so I can fly outdoors on windy days and here in central Ohio it is always windy
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:07 AM
Joined Aug 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2110 View Post
I made one with a flat plate(single layer foam) wing and I also made an air foiled wing by using 2 pieces of foam and running the spar in between. Both work. I like the flat plate for light weight and its slow flying abilities.

Thanks, boa2110,

That's what I want is slow flying, but I am worried about the wind here in central Oh.

Troy