HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:09 AM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
Hey Tres!

Actually Dylan (Dylwad) deserves all the credit. He has built, and I believe flown a small version of the Taco II. BTW, thanks go out to him for helping me out with the plan set-up....

Yeah, it's been awhile. Took a break. My apologies for any sore spots created earlier, and that's to everyone.

I've been spending some time trying to catch up on all the "new" motors, batteries, etc. I still haven't finished my Dandy that I bought a looong ago. Put ailerons on the regular wing version...gonna have to try it someday.

And thanks for the hello...Mr. Moderater... !

Bob
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:21 AM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Hello from a former "Menahga-ian"

mefly2,

Seen you were from New York Mills, so had to say a quick hello. My family originates from Menahga and my wife and I lived there in the mid '70's. Acer (my son) was born in Detroit Lakes when we where moving from Hawley back to the family farm in Menahga.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. BTW my oldest brother Curt just left to go back to Menahga a few days ago. He comes here to the Orlando area each winter for a couple of months. This year Andy (Acer) and I got both him and one of my other brothers back into RC. If you ever get around Menahga way and are looking for a place to fly, he has an real landing strip on the farm which I am sure works great for RC too.

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:58 AM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
Well HELLO Rodger!!

That makes the world a bit smaller... .

Nice to hear from you. I haven't been to Menagha for many years, I do remember my mom, brother, and I meeting my dad for lunch many times at the park just south of town along Hwy 71 w/ all the huge pine trees...beautiful place...

I'd love to get together with your brother and do some flying, does he fly a full-scale plane from the farm?

My girlfriend lives in Detroit lakes, nice area too! I do some Musky fishing on Big Detroit.

I'm gonna send you a pm with my contact info, maybe you could pass it on to your brother, and then get yourself up here sometime to... Great to hear from you!

Bob
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:49 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Hi mefly2,

Got your PM before reading this. I will foward to Curt and I'm sure he would love to do some flying. He was into RC pretty big time back in the '70's, but got too busy with life over the last many years. He is also a private pilot so he has found some ways to "get away" even though not with RC.

Talk to you later.

-Rodger

Ps - Sorry for the personals...
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:05 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Dylan-
==i built and flew the backyard version already, awesome plane, it sounds like a pod racer from star wars when you roll on high rates, and 3 foot loops with elev-flap mix on... ==

Wow, sounds very cool! Is there a thread somewhere about this smaller version?

Bob-

==I still haven't finished my Dandy that I bought a looong ago. Put ailerons on the regular wing version...gonna have to try it someday.==

On the polyhedral wing? Did you keep the poly or flatten it out?

Have you seen the new Dandy Sport that Doug kitted? He's putting the SB Sport wing in with the Dandy now, it's gotten some great reviews.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:08 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Tres, the link to the original thread that made me build the full size one is in my first post. I just wanted to make mine full size for my Hacker, sounds like I'll have to make a little one as well now

-- Acer
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:27 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
Quote:
On the polyhedral wing? Did you keep the poly or flatten it out?
I kept the poly...I built the wing normally and then cut out the ailerons. I am setting up a single servo in the bottom of the wing root that will run one solid flex cable to both ailerons. Also added 1/32" sheeting from the LE to top spar for strength, and a carbon fiber strip under the bottom. All I really need to do is finish covering the front of the wing, and install the radio, but I've been lazy... I had an old sailplane that had a poly wing with ails, that's where I got the idea from. Not quite sure how it'll work on the Dandy, but I think it'll be good.

I'll have to get my butt in gear and post some pics, and if the weather straightens up, a flight report...'spose to snow tonight...!

I have seen the Dandy Sport, looks great!

Bob
Old Apr 16, 2003, 02:16 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,181 Posts
Laser cut

Mike Hall,
If your cutting and can cut a 27" version for a 300c throw me a PM as I would certainly like to order your services.

Mike
"Up is down and down is up?!?! What kind of world are we living in?
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:15 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
For more info on the Taco.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...142&forumid=21 ~ new Taco Fat Free

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...337&forumid=21 ~original Taco .25 Thread

http://swanyshouse.com/taco/taco.html ~plans, laser files, pictures

Dylan

also, getting this thing laser cut isnt going to save you much time, if any at all, the laser files consist of 10 ribs and fuse doublers, and we dont use the doublers on the electric conversion, the ribs couldnt be easier to cut....just a thought....the rest of it is sheet and sticks, it took me 3 nights to frame her up, taking my time, using my fourmost miter sander to make perfect joints, i dont think it would be worth the wait to get 10 laser cut ribs in the mail......
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Last edited by Dylwad; Apr 16, 2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:39 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dylwad
For more info on the Taco.....

also, getting this thing laser cut isnt going to save you much time, .............. i dont think it would be worth the wait to get 10 laser cut ribs in the mail......
It is if you dont have any talent.......yes, like me.
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Apr 16, 2003, 05:01 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
Foamflyer, if you didn't have any talent you wouldn't be flying airplanes... .

1 batch of easy ribs....

Cut the ribs out of the plan and Glue-stick them to a 1/16" balsa sheet, cut out slightly larger than the paper, and sand them to shape. When they are done, use a spray bottle with water and dishsoap and spray the paper stuck to the ribs...wait a few seconds, and peel the paper off.

If you don't want to cut up your plan, trace them onto the wood using carbon paper.

Old Apr 16, 2003, 05:25 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
What I do is LIGHTLY spray either 3m 77 or Spraymount on one piece of 1/16" balsa and let it dry. Then I stick the other 1/16" balsa on top. Lightly spray the back of the rib pattern and let dry, then stick to the balsa sheets. I then use a sharp exacto and a straight edge (metal ruler) and cut all the straight lines I can. Then carefully cut all the curves out.

Doing it this way I get both the left and right wing ribs cut at the same time and they are perfect. It takes about 30 min. to cut all 5 sets out doing it this way.

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:37 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Finished the Fuse tonight. Weight so far is 9.2 oz. It could have been alot lighter if I used light balsa, but I couldn't find any around. I only have to build the rudder, elevator and horizontal stab, so I should still make my weight of 12-15 oz. (not including motor or battery). Which would give an all up weight of 22 to 25 oz.

Here's a couple of pictures.

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:38 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Here's a shot of the Taco with the Mini Flash to compair wing area (also has a MUCH thicker wing)
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:39 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Profile shot. It will look alot better after I finish the tail