HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:06 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
TACO II Scratch Build

Another thread got me interested in building a profile Fun Fly design named the Taco II. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=taco

It was originally designed for a .25 engine and has a 37" wingspan. I plan on using the "Golden Ticket" setup everyone is using on their 3D machines. (hacker 15L 4:1, 9 KAN 950's, 12x6 E prop) The control surfaces on this plane are HUGE as it was designed as a hovering, knife edging, tumbling 3D machine.

So far I have the wing completely built, per plan. On this plane the wing is the largest part, therefore the heaviest. Mine weighs in at 4.4 oz. and is constructed of mostly 1/16" balsa, 2, 1/4" balsa spars and a 1/4" CF ribbon running along each spar.

Here's the wing. It took about 3 hours to build from scratch.

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:20 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Here's the wing with plans for the fuse.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:21 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Compaired to the Mini Flash...
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:22 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Here's a shot of how thick the wing is,
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:25 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I think the empty weight of the plane will be around 12-15 oz. Estimated weight with battery/motor will be around 24 oz.

The Hacker setup pulls 47 oz. static and 37 oz. in flight thrust, so it should fly this plane great!

-- Acer
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:54 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
What's the wing area on that?

I'm not really sure where you got your thrust numbers from, but I measure about 35 oz of thrust from the Golden Ticket on the bench. Sorry to nitpick

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:04 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Without ailerons the wing area is 347 sq. in. Including the ailerons the wing area is 461 sq. in.

Those thrust figures were what P-Calc gave me, they're probably wrong though. cound that 35 oz. somehow be the inflight thrust? Its awful close to the 37 oz. figure.

I did my own scientific test to find the thrust of the Hacker setup though. What I did was hold onto the motor very tightly with my arm above my head and hit the throttle!!

Just about pulled me off the ground

-- Acer
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:10 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I love that wing area! She should float in beautifully even at 24 oz.

Here's a picture of my thrust stand. It's now onto a digital scale. The thrust numbers are static, but still on a plane that's 24 oz that's still 1.5:1 thrust:weight which is TONS for fun flying

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:23 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Looks like that should get you pretty close. Here's a .jpg I converted from the plans, just to show you the size of the ailerons.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 08:10 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
WOW, what a cool plane. I think i will laser cut me out a kit tomorrow

Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
Old Apr 15, 2003, 08:26 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Mike,
You could cut 2 and just forward one to me, thanks.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Apr 15, 2003, 08:51 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
PM me and maybe we can work somethign out.

Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
Old Apr 16, 2003, 08:59 AM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
Acer, are you building it at full plan size..37" WS? I'm also building one of these, I reduced the plans to about 3/4...makes about 27 1/2" WS.

I am also reducing the size of the wood...1/4" to 3/16". 1/16" sheet to 1/32", and so on. Ribs are staying 1/16" for strength, but I am doing away with the LE and wrapping 1/32" sheet from the top spar around the front to the bottom spar..should help reduce weight.

I sheeted the tail fin for strength also. Tail surfaces are 3/16"stick...haven't decided if I am going leave the cross braces out or not. Seem strong, but I probably should. So the weight of the airframe as seen in the pic is ~ 2 1/2 oz...hoping to keep the entire empty airframe under 4 oz. Wing needs sheeting and sanding, ailerons not done yet.

Your wing is looking great, should be an awesome little plane. When I reduced my plans before printing, I accidently put the scaling #'s wrong...came out with a plan with almost 50" span.. . Maybe I'll have to build a .60 size Taco... !

I should add that I am going to be setting mine up for the time being w/ a GWS 300C, and probably just a single aileron servo for now...funds are short... .
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Apr 16, 2003, 09:28 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
mefly2:

==I reduced the plans to about 3/4...makes about 27 1/2" WS. ==

You read my mind! A backyard version! Where the heck have you been anyway? I haven't seen you around since "that" incident, I think you know what I mean
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 16, 2003, 09:40 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
mefly2:

==I reduced the plans to about 3/4...makes about 27 1/2" WS. ==

You read my mind! A backyard version!
Tres, i built and flew the backyard version already, awesome plane, it sounds like a pod racer from star wars when you roll on high rates, and 3 foot loops with elev-flap mix on...

Mike hall, if you go to paul swanys website (the re-designer of the taco and the designer of the taco lite) youll find laser files......

Just remember to laterally balance the beast, i end up with a quarter taped to a wing tip on my 800 mah packs and a penny with lipoly packs

Start with LOW rates, 55 degrees on the elevator is real touchy, even with 50% expo

CG is about 1/4-1/2 inch behind the spar, and even at 27 inch span, at 14 ounces it floats in, and the gas version floats in at 2+ lbs, so 24 ounces should be perfect

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad