HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2009, 08:44 AM
Joined Jun 2007
21 Posts
Gofer,
If it was in Lincoln that was probably Harry Barr's, he still flies a P-51. It's all aluminum with a red tail. He is the father of Chandy Clanton who was killed recently in a aerobatic crash in Tarkio Mo. I sat on his wing when I was a kid as my father also worked at the Lincoln AFB, he was in accounting, also a navigator on a B-24 in WW2.
You can easily get a ride on the Gunfighter if you go to Council Bluffs airport, that's where the plane is hangered, might be around $500 or more for a half hour. I paid $300.
He usually flies from May to Nov and then the plane goes into winter maintenance. You have to call and make an appointment to set up flight.
Gunfighter51 is offline Find More Posts by Gunfighter51
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2009, 01:10 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I took the Swift2.5 out this morning. It is seriously windy and going to get worse. Anyway a gave it a toss and hit the power, in the past this was a moment fraught with anxiety. I did remember not to peg the throttle.

I hit throttle to somewhere in the 3/4 range and the result was unreal. This thing was gone. It was move the body to track it not the head, I had to throttle it down to 1/3 to get a feel for it. And that was probably close to the previous fast cruise. I foght the wind for 4 minutes then went ahead and landed.

This is an entirely different plane now.

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Oct 03, 2009, 01:11 PM
Oh look I'm bleeding...
USA, IL, Rock Island
Joined Dec 2005
379 Posts
Pappy, Ray has been busy with the new job & HDL stuff. Dunno about Zach. I didn't get a new laptop, I bought one for my mother in law, I got a new desktop puter.
ktaylor is offline Find More Posts by ktaylor
Old Oct 03, 2009, 03:59 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Tim, that sounds just like when I went from a soft plasitc GWS prop to a wooden 7x7 on my Weasel. The first 2 seconds covered about 200' horizontally and 150' vertical. Set your throws really really low.......

Lou, any 5 year old can spill a jar of paint like that

Pappy, on Youtube I recently found a 165mph foamie. It's almost impossible to track. I've had foam going over 200mph before but it was just shrapnel from a crash getting thrown by the prop.....

I'm almost glad I don't have anything in good flying condition right now because the weather is so carpy. It'll take a few more days to get used to.

Since there's nothing better to do I'll finally be drawing up some Weasel Jet plans in MS Paint. I figure somone with some good weather can build one so I'm not the only Weaseler around....
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 03, 2009, 09:06 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Man... slow day around here, eh?

Ok, got some basic plan sort of things drawn; they'll certainly help build the plane. I don't think anything crucial is missing.

I also have a few old pictures of the Beaver Jet. Very similar design, so if your Weasel looks like it then you're not too far off.
Old Oct 03, 2009, 09:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
How'd that get in there?!?! Ahh, well, this is the Any Airplane Thread..... And that particular Areo Ace deserves an honorable mention: It's lasted the longest of any Aero Ace I've ever owned (over a year), with the only mods being the mono-wing mod and a slight clipping of the wings. At least 350 flights on it and still going strong
Old Oct 03, 2009, 10:28 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
TP - On the WeaselV (V = that which shall not be named on this thread) - I'm thinking I might attempt to fold some FF symetrical wings back swept with long root cord and short tip cord, maybe play with cardboard first to find a good shape. I've got a 24"x48" piece of dow 2" bluecor for cutting a full fuse. Maybe an F22 style tail, elevons and vert? stab's. Right after I finish Fern's SU(mount servos, tape, maybe more CF), build an Ikarus Edge 540 30" WS foamie kit (Thanks Fern), paint, motor/ESC in the GWS P40 Warhawk and install my new 64mm fan in the HC profile F22, last one cracked one of the center supports in the housing (maybe due to that whole tree climbing retrieval and subsequent lawndart).

FERN - PM me a good UPS/FedEx addy for one bundle of FFF thats taking up space in my garage

Hey Lou, and regards to Mrs. Lou
Zrat is offline Find More Posts by Zrat
Old Oct 03, 2009, 11:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Zrat, sounds like you got a full plate. What's V? Is there anywhere I can find out? Sounds dangerous..... Especially since it was preceeded by 'Weasel'.....
I've got a 48"x76" sheet of pink insulation foam 2" thick. If my foam cutter was working I'd be building a Weaver Jet, the next iteration of my tribe of delta wings.

Ken, I've got a motor question: Let's say I took an average 12-pole 14-magnet outrunner and wound it so that, rather the normal dLRK configuraton, I wound one turn around one stator tooth then transferred to the next tooth on the stator, wound a turn around that, and the went back to the first, continuing this pattern until I had the desired number of turns, then continued in this fashion throughout the motor in an ABC... wind (with two stator teeth being considered one). Then I'd pop off 7 magnets from the can, leaving the other 7 alone. Would this run at all?
Old Oct 03, 2009, 11:09 PM
Oh look I'm bleeding...
USA, IL, Rock Island
Joined Dec 2005
379 Posts
rudy, I don't think so, for it to transfer the magnetic field to the pole, it needs to go all the way around it. Try a LRK, where you wind it like a six pole stator, only using every other tooth.
Old Oct 03, 2009, 11:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
But it would be going all the way around... How to explain??? Ok, the wind starts off like any normal procedure. BUT when the wire has been wound exactly once around the tooth, rather than winding it around again for a second turn, it moves immediately to the next tooth, gets wound 1.5 times around that one, then switches back to the first one, goes around it 1.5 time, switch, wind, switch, wind, switch, wind, switch, wind.... until the right number of turns ahs been reached.

Of course, I'll probably end up trying it next time I burn a motor....
Old Oct 03, 2009, 11:57 PM
Oh look I'm bleeding...
USA, IL, Rock Island
Joined Dec 2005
379 Posts
Oh ok, I thought you meant start going around one tooth & then bridge directly to the next tooth without going down between them. Hmm I dunno what your idea would do. If you're winding them both the same direction, then it should induce the same magnetic polarity in both posts at the same time, hence a larger field, but my thought is that the motor will do nothing unless you change the spacing of your magnets in the bell. You'll end up with a locked rotor situation otherwise. Cause the magnet directly over the two poles will be getting pulled in two directions at once.

Now if you rotated clockwise & counter clock wise on each winding, hmm, that's still interesting. not sure. Just make sure you use a crappy ESC to test that with so you don't smoke a good one.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 08:58 AM
Glenwood Iowa
Joined Sep 2008
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter51
Gofer,
If it was in Lincoln that was probably Harry Barr's, he still flies a P-51. It's all aluminum with a red tail. He is the father of Chandy Clanton who was killed recently in a aerobatic crash in Tarkio Mo. I sat on his wing when I was a kid as my father also worked at the Lincoln AFB, he was in accounting, also a navigator on a B-24 in WW2.
You can easily get a ride on the Gunfighter if you go to Council Bluffs airport, that's where the plane is hangered, might be around $500 or more for a half hour. I paid $300.
He usually flies from May to Nov and then the plane goes into winter maintenance. You have to call and make an appointment to set up flight.
Aint it a small world! The last time I was at the airbase they were basically stripping everthing out. I was trying to remember if it had a red tail on that P-51 but cant remember any more than the cockpit and how wonderful and strange everything looked. I would like to ride in the P-51 but due to an heart problem the docs say no to anything but commercial air lines and they think I am pushing it riding a motorcycle! I was talking about going up on an ultralite at the time. They could see their fee just vanishing in the horizion LOL.
Gofer 303 is offline Find More Posts by Gofer 303
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:08 AM
Glenwood Iowa
Joined Sep 2008
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrat
Gofer, Glad you made it, congrats on getting the SS up (That reminds me, time to throw a prop on mine, new TP 180W motor, smoked the GWS one too much WOT ). So you get to announce races and fly at the track? Too cool.
Got that dubious honor seems like no one listens so I ad lib a lot and very few catch it and comment on it and after reading the ads the first time correctly then its open season on them!!!!
Recently I have been getting a couple of extremely talented pilots to do some exibitions with their very large planes one is a extra 300lx and there is a 12' wing span piper cub that does acrobatics. the cub could fit a 6 year old and still have room to spare!!!
Sometimes I feel so inadequet with my SS and little parkzone J3. But we all cant have the planes of our dreams !!! Been looking into paragliders and have a delta wing kite that may be going on the SS or build a camera mount gondola and make a strange looking thing !!!
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:38 AM
Glenwood Iowa
Joined Sep 2008
165 Posts
Jet-Powered Merry-Go-Round at Gadgetoff '09 (HQ) (3 min 19 sec)

Interesting contraption for training amature jet pilots and astronuts!!!!
Old Oct 04, 2009, 10:42 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Tim, cool plane. I am unsure how I missed it the first time around.

Rudy your beaver jet is similar the Swift2 dimension wise. 32' ws I buried my gear in the foam

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR