HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Great videos SDOne!! I love the bipe, I have an F3P bipe that I am nearing completion on.

I fixed the Beastie, and switched the configuration on my MQX to a "+". I am feeling more flight inspired suddenly. Hopefully this will continue.
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Very nice videos. That Trex 500 looks like a bee with his head cut off

Tim, I like the X configuration myself. I guess that's because I'm not much of a heli guy. I'm going to pick up a Heli-Max 1SQ in the morning.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I have been flying in the "X" since I bought the bird. But the "+" seems more stable for camera use.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,348 Posts
Weather has been nothing but crap since the time changed. I think I've flown once since then. I've got two new foamies of my own design built and waiting for motors that will probably arrive tomorrow... at work... where I won't be since it's Saturday. There's also a chance that my new 48" Skywing Edge could arrive. It has been on American soil for almost a week.

I also got a 1SQ and have been zipping that around the house and the shop at work. Not much else going on.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Hey SDOne,
I got to go fly yesterday. Freakish break in the Dec winter weather. I just took 4 planes but only got to fly 3 of them.
First up was my mini Swift power glider from HK. The breeze was kicking up a little high for this bird and it was proving to be a challenge. I was wishing I had a micro gyro to help smooth things out.
Second up was my Mini T-28 from HK. No problem with the wind at all and this thing flies like it's on rails. A little ballooning when turning into the wind but that's normal and expected and easy to correct because you know it's coming.
Third up was my Stinger 60 from HK. Absolutely a great flyer and wind up to 15mph doesn't effect it at all. This one is very solid. I can let go of the sticks and it keeps the course even in wind.
Fourth was going to be the maiden of my Moray which is supposed to be very good in wind, but I forgot to secure my rx while setting it up and I didn't have anything with me to do it with, so it was a no go

I am enjoying my 1SQ very much. But setting it up with my DX7 was not easy.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:38 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
The rain has stopped for a few days, so I took the video camera and the Beastie out to the park, and here is the video of the practice battery. The camera failed mid video for the second battery. I swapped out the stock 5025 for a 5043, much nicer performance. It does reduce flights to about 4 minutes, but that is good enough for me ;D

How does the 1SQ compare to the mQX?

I have an F3P bipe(Aeolus) that has been moving along at a snails pace. The new job and promotion has me writing policy and procedure after work

UMX Beast with a 5043 prop (3 min 36 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:18 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Hey Tim,
I know what you mean about the homework, just because you give me a laptop doesn't mean I'm going to work 24/7

The 1SQ is a lot smaller and more nimble than the MQX. Personally I seem to like the 1SQ more, but that is mostly due to my fetish for micro rc stuff.
I do still like the MQX and have a feeling that the motors on the MQX will out last the 1SQ. That's about all I can think of. Oh, one more thing. I'm sure the MQX can carry more of a payload as far as a camera is concerned.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
The problem I have is that I have place at work to write etc. So I do it at home or it doesn't get done.

I am getting back to micros simply because I don't have weekends off. F3P planes qualify in that they weigh in at around 7 ozs.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,348 Posts
My new Edge arrived on Saturday. It was ready to fly Saturday evening. Unfortunately, it rained all weekend and hasn't stopped yet. The wind hasn't let up in weeks. Tomorrow looks better but I have to work. Not catching a break here.

I've also got a couple of my new scratchbuilt "Crackbach" foamies ready to fly. One 29" from Depron, one 32" from EPP and both built as cheaply as possible with Hobbyking guts. Both fly well within the small confines of my yard but I really need a calm day at the field to get the most out of them along with some nice video.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:29 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR View Post
The problem I have is that I have place at work to write etc. So I do it at home or it doesn't get done.

I am getting back to micros simply because I don't have weekends off. F3P planes qualify in that they weigh in at around 7 ozs.
My office is at home so if I don't do it there it doesn't get done either, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to work 24/7 just because my office is at home

SD, nice plane. Is that a small table or a big plane
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,348 Posts
It's the Skywing 48" Edge 540 and I really NEED to fly it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:57 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I ordered a 5x3x3 prop for the Beast. If it is all that it is supposed to be I may have to get the little Sbach as well.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:49 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Looking good guys. Been building a bit here and cranked out a modified version of the LA Stick and also a Blink, both with Cox .049's:

Nice 3D with the Beast, Ferndale... although I've got no idea why you'd want to go to a 3 blade prop. Its 50% more load and at least 10% less efficient than the standard prop. I'd stay with the 5043. You know what they say - 3 for show, two for go!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:44 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR View Post
I ordered a 5x3x3 prop for the Beast. If it is all that it is supposed to be I may have to get the little Sbach as well.
If you do, please let me know where you get your little Sbach from, and what you power it with.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I test flew the 5x3x3, I may order one that has been cut back to 4x3x3. The extra blade gives me more airflow over the control surfaces, or that is the theory. It is much closer to a solid hover this way as well. I will need to play with the balance some.