SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:12 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Dec 2004
379 Posts
TP
I don't think those Apex lipos will hold up to that many amps. Might need to run 2 in series for that. If these were real good lipos they would handle 31 amps continuous at best.
The Aign lipos will get close to the 31 amps as back when these were made most manufacturers overstated their abilities. I suspect the Align's would handle about 25 to 28 amps without too much trouble.
Those $10.99 Zippy's will do far better. 2200 mah and 20C rated and can handle a beating.
Soon as I find a box you'll get the edf's and lipos. In the meantime you can fry the Apex.
loubud is offline Find More Posts by loubud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:16 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Dec 2004
379 Posts
TP
I didn't see any amp info on the motor.
loubud is offline Find More Posts by loubud
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:08 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
Just going by the comments on that motor, I'd want a little beefier ESC just to be on the safe side. I'm kicking myself for not getting a bigger ESC for my FunJet but that can wait until spring.

Flew the Diablo at lunch in a field behind our south store. Had some spectators. I flew well and so did the plane. Took off and landed in the parking lot. Love the Diablo. My buddy and I were out back talking about how much fun we both have with these planes. Best thing I've built yet.

I'd like to scale it down and build a micro version using my Parkzone Mustang guts. That would be sweet!

It could be... El Diablo Pequeño!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Dec 2005
361 Posts
Lou,

You sux! I am looking for a sale on diapers. I gotta get Jr. potty trained. 2 youngins in diapers is killing me. It is cutting into my plane budget.

Not much new to report here. My Torque motor for my Extra is having issues. I have to send it back to Extreme Flight and have them fix it or give me a new one. i emailed them about it and got a response within an hour saying send it in and they will take care of me. It is making a nasty grinding sound at about 1/3 throttle and the motor is heating up. Gotta get the motor out this weekend and mail it in.

Other than that I think I will have to get a Stryker flight in this weekend.
Adam G is offline Find More Posts by Adam G
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:56 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Lou, no problem. I'll just run it on a GWS 3x2 prop. Should draw about 15A or so..... Man, two of those Apex packs would be heavy Might have to.... ehhhh.... nope. Not even gonna suggest it So let's see.... Not enough ESC, not enough battery, too much motor. I'll go find a different motor I think

I've started on the new SWJ. The camera battery wasn't charged so I just started cutting. And gluing.... And now I'm on Step 4.5, doing the fuselage parts.

I discovered some stuff. The old SWJ wasn't exactly 2/3 scale so the new wing, which is exactly 2/3 of the regular one, has a bit (ok, a LOT) less area. Combine that with the heavier, faster power system and I get about a 10oz bullet.

I went so far as to redesign the fins and bevel their leading edges (trailing will be done, too). I also put an edge on the LE of the wing to cut drag. This thing's gonna be FAST. Yes, even faster than the first one

That's all.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Ok, so instead of that power-chomping outrunner I listed, how about this motor? On a 4S lipo and a 5x5 prop I could get a pitchspeed over 800mph http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._Motor_11500kv

I'll keep looking.....

That's all.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:45 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Man, you guys sure are busy.
Here is a nice sale if anyone is interested.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123779.asp

I think I may grab one if the motor Tim gave me will work in it.
It is a EMax CF2805 that will handle a 5x6 prop and 7 to 9V.
What do you guys think? If that won't work, does anyone have an idea for a plane that I could stick it in. Kind of looking for a new plane for this summer coming.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:15 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
That's like the little Losi Exelorin brushless motor that I put in my Micro-T. Mine is ONLY 8200kv but it makes a 1/36th scale truck stupidly fast. http://www.losi.com/Search/Default.a...18%20brushless

Hmm... that could be something!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:36 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
I forgot to say, it's an outrunner
I used to have a Micro-T also and about every micro car you can think of. At one time, my user name was micro nut.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:40 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Gman, it is too heavy for that motor, I think. But I spun a little bit bigger prop on the Swift2 on that motor. I just weighed the swift2 and that won't work, in my opinion. I think that motor tops out at about 1/2 lb planes.

Here are the numbers you need to find a motor. Note that it is asking for high/hard timing. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/108462.asp . Good luck.

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:41 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
Random rambling.

I like the micros. I have a Micro-T, a Micro RS4 and an RC18T. Two have brushless systems and the RS4 is plenty fast without one. They are all silly fast for their size.

Well the forecast has changed for tomorrow but it's still looking like decent flying weather. Woohoo!

I think I'll renew my AMA card tonight so I can try the other local fields tomorrow in hopes of finding other pilots.

I need more battery packs. Can you really have too many? I think not.

I wish I had a transmitter that could detect if it has been touched in the past hour and shut itself off if it hasn't.

Dinner is almost ready.

El Diablo Pequeño! I just like saying that.

I'd like a DX7 but I really don't want to program 9 planes and helicopters back into it.

It seems like there's always something I need from Hobby King but I can never remember what it is when I place an order.

I can't believe Vanna White and Pat Sajak are STILL hosting Wheel of Fortune.

I will have a proper balsa plane someday but I have too many now. I need to crash something to make room.

I'm never going to learn to fly my Blade 400. I have too much fun with planes and have no desire to rebuild a collective pitch heli after a crash. I should strip the guts out of it and make something interesting out of fan fold. But then I'll have even more planes! So much for that balsa birdie.

I could really use an extra receiver. Hmmm.... see above paragraph.

Sci-Fi (Syfy) should bring back Farscape. Hovering muppets that fart helium are just too funny.

El Diablo Pequeño! I wonder if I can scale the plans down in Photoshop.

Dinner is done and so am I.

Later!
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 15, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:44 PM
Joined Dec 2005
361 Posts
TP,

You just need a high C Battery holmes. Put one of those 30C lipos on your next HC order. 30C equals 66 amps on a 2200 Turnigy pack. I think they are like $15.
Adam G is offline Find More Posts by Adam G
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:38 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Adam, I'd thought of that but I had it in my head that the higher-C packs in that capacity range were more like $25 or so, and I think my mom would flip out if she realized she just spent $55 on my plane...
"How much did you spend?"
"Uhhhhhhh, with shipping? It was.... uhhh...... a really good deal. My plane will go way over 100mph now." (leave the room quickly)

If they're not as much as I thought I might have to check that out.....

But then the ESC becomes an issue. The 50A HK one gets consistent bad reviews (which is how we know the reviewers are real people) and the next one up is too much ESC for a Weasel. I could go Turnigy but again, I'm not sure a $60 order would go over too well with the parents, especially since I'd said no more than $40 yesterday

I'll work on that a little.

Now, progress report on the new SWJ: The first wing was all nice and pretty, with its bevelled edge and cleanly-glued spar. I traced my servos onto the wing to make cutouts, then realized I'd done them both facing the same direction. That would never do. I was really PO'd about having a servo outline on my wing (for those who don't know I'm extremely, EXTREMELY picky about such things) but I would just cover it with trim tape. I flipped the servo around around and traced it.

But now, since I used the same side of the same servo, one was reversed anyways. Wonderful.......

So I've got a wing that's got all sorts of hole in it, a 1/4" thick spar just dragging in the breeze, and some awful markings on it. On top of this it was too small to fly well. So I just cut a whole new one......

This time the wing is more appropriately dimensioned and I plane to pay better attention to my servos. The real innovation here, though, is the introduction of a new concept: I split the wing in half spanwise, cut out an excess strip of foam, and glued in my spar. The wing is two individual parts, front and back, joined to one wooden stick. This will improve drag a lot and give the motor mount a hardpoint to glue to beyond just foam.

I might have completely missed the mark and ended up compromising the strength of the whole wing but I have more foam...... Besides, it seems plenty stiff.

I believe this is the first time I've seen this done. I've seen channels cut into flat foam wings for spars but never have I seen the whole wing in two pieces glued to the spar. Cool.

Well, glue's probably dry. Time to check it out and do the fuselage . I hate that part, even though it's the easiest part of the build..... Oh, and I have to bevel the wing again, and do the elevons, and make new servo cutouts, and glue on the stabs (which are now about 3" high and 4" long, with bevelled edges. I'm really slimming it down.... Almost like one of those nuclear Strykers), and do the hinging, and install control horns, and stuff in my receiver, put in battery velcro, hinge the hatch, and get a new 2.3mm prop adapter. I stripped the old one. Cheap aluminum....

Is it possible to temper aluminum like steel? If I heat it with my torch and drop it into icewater will it gain any hardness? The metal they use is stupid weak......

That's all.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:08 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
It worked! It scaled down nicely. I think I'll redo the control surfaces with Cellfoam 88 because it's so much stiffer than Depron Aero. The fuse could be a little longer too. It's a start though.

El Diablo Pequeño!
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:26 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
Here are those batteries that Adam spoke of.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack

I use them in my FunJet. Good stuff. Great price. Been using them in the Gemini too. They don't even get warm with what I'm doing to them. Says 30-40C discharge on the label. I bet the Gemini could give them a workout if I kept the hammer down. Gotta work the bugs out first though. You know, stuff like... rolling.