HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:01 PM
Badius Boy
Windsor ON Canada
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
Oh man dude, 7-1/2 hours????!!!!!

*sigh* I guess it's cool - as long as I get there in 1/3 to 1/5 the time it takes Lou.
export! is offline Find More Posts by export!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
That would definately be doable for me, but it would all depend on the job situation.
patnchris is offline Find More Posts by patnchris
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:23 PM
Joined Dec 2005
361 Posts
If the fly in is in Iowa I will be there. You can count on that!
Adam G is offline Find More Posts by Adam G
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:26 PM
Joined Dec 2005
361 Posts
Ken,

It looks like it would take me less than 5 hours to get there according to map quest.
Adam G is offline Find More Posts by Adam G
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:27 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR
ZR, I know that the su-27 will not ship until next week as H-L blew it. You will have to do some glueimg but I am going to leave the everything but the esc and radio attached.

Ok, here is the Psycho PBF( should I call TMZ? ) first pics.

Tim
Tim sounds great, no rush though, I'm still working on:

1) The Blue Baby, had to do some major hot cutting to fit the ESC, cut across the top of the nose and under the windshield, i'll get some pic's up over on the build thread.
2) P40 - Got the first coat on the top side of the plane and it's just sitting, motor/ESC are here, all control surfaces on and aligned.
3) Spent Monday afternoon and Tuesday remotoring the 130% T38, may have to drop from 6x4 to 5.5x4.5, 420W at 90% WOT on Rhino 3S 30C 1550, motor is only rated for 350W or I'll just program the max throttle to keep it in spec, I hope the motor mount doesn't rip out of the fuse, lots of thrust
Zrat is offline Find More Posts by Zrat
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:27 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Ken, all I can say is that's one long-ass bike ride...... There might be a slim possibility maybe.....

I've developed another good method of plane rescue: I took a nut from a bike wheel and tied a kite string to it. I unwound the string off its handle until I had about enough to get up to the branch, but not much farther. I then fired this nut out of the slingshot towards the branch. At one point I hooked a twig that was attached to the branch that's holding the battery but the string came loose before I could build up sufficient wiggling power.

Problem: I'm going on a 5-day vacation (family reunion/Labor Day thing) so if it comes down, say, tomorrow at 6:05 am I'm not going to be around to get it Anyone who wants to, I'll pay you $5 to come check on it for me, but you have to ride a moped and carry a live chicken the whole way. Tie it to the tree to prove you were there
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
OHHHHHhhhhhhhh, yeah, I forgot to ask: I got my .008" guitar string today, wired up the wing cutter, and found that the thing is barely hot enought to cut foam at all. It's a steel wire that's half the diameter of the old one, yet it's only 1/4 as hot. The only possible reason I can come up with is that the old wire is made of something with much higher resistance than steel, but what?

I can easily supply the wire with enough power to cut well, but then I'll need a dimmer switch....

Zrat, sorry buddy, I made the plans up for the Weasel/Beaver jets but can't find my flash drive to put them up here. You'll have to wait for a few days unless you want to use the measurements at RCU.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:35 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Yeah .I want a blue baby but I cant get the foam. So I will keep looking... Shoot, the P40, Krylon short cuts, the little cans are not foam eaters and they have a nice deep forest green.

As for the next fly in, I would like a central state. I look at the eastern border of Colorado as a good line between east and west. OK I am going to give whiskey tango foxtrot2 a test.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Zrat, here's a link to the rather unhelpful thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90...tm.htm#9027067

Needs pics...... Maybe you could build one from that and then put some up
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:58 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP14
OHHHHHhhhhhhhh, yeah, I forgot to ask: I got my .008" guitar string today, wired up the wing cutter, and found that the thing is barely hot enought to cut foam at all. It's a steel wire that's half the diameter of the old one, yet it's only 1/4 as hot. The only possible reason I can come up with is that the old wire is made of something with much higher resistance than steel, but what?

I can easily supply the wire with enough power to cut well, but then I'll need a dimmer switch....

Zrat, sorry buddy, I made the plans up for the Weasel/Beaver jets but can't find my flash drive to put them up here. You'll have to wait for a few days unless you want to use the measurements at RCU.
TP you're right on the resistance issue. If it's cool with your parents PM me your addy and I'll mail you a big chunk of this blowdryer element. I can wait on the plans, too many builds going on anyway

I checked the link, good info but I haven't quite got a picture in my head.

Tim - Thanks for the paint tip.
Last edited by Zrat; Sep 02, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:11 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Yeah .I want a blue baby but I cant get the foam. So I will keep looking... Shoot, the P40, Krylon short cuts, the little cans are not foam eaters and they have a nice deep forest green.

As for the next fly in, I would like a central state. I look at the eastern border of Colorado as a good line between east and west. OK I am going to give whiskey tango foxtrot2 a test.

Tim
Do you have a Lowe's around Ferndale? I went to the contractors counter and special ordered my FFF, it was ~$54 a bundle and took maybe four days to show up. Here's a link (the pic isn't correct) and the Desc/item#/Model#.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...153&lpage=none

Dow
1/4" x 48" x 50' Insulated Sheathing

Item #: 127129 Model: 669153
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:59 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I'm afraid that Lowes, Home Depot. WalMart and just about any other big box retailer have been outlawed in Humboldt Co California. The mechanisim is a ban in the largest city, Eureka. The county is gamed so that only left wing types can be elected.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:12 PM
Oh look I'm bleeding...
USA, IL, Rock Island
Joined Dec 2005
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP14
Ken, all I can say is that's one long-ass bike ride...... There might be a slim possibility maybe.....

i was thinking if it were to take place in Iowa, then maybe you could hitch a ride with Adam since he's from your neck of the woods.
ktaylor is offline Find More Posts by ktaylor
Old Sep 03, 2009, 01:16 AM
Ventura, CA
Joined Dec 2004
379 Posts
As long as Scott can get there sooner than I can, I'm in.
loubud is offline Find More Posts by loubud
Old Sep 03, 2009, 05:43 AM
Savannah Ga
Joined Apr 2009
49 Posts
Lets see we go from a 20 hr drive to 17 hrs

OK I'm in
aj1202 is offline Find More Posts by aj1202