HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Dec 2004
379 Posts
Fern,
SUX about your planes. I'll send ya a plane soon. Foam flattie. Mebee you'll get 2. Both E-Flight. Me and foam don't get along and these E-Flights look fragile.

Pat,
Wanna try a Master Airscrew 14X9? Got a loaner setting here. OH, gotta a loaner matching Castle esc W/programmer also.
loubud is offline Find More Posts by loubud
Last edited by loubud; Sep 01, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:56 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Hmmm, might have the try one of those weasel beaver jobs, let me know when your plans are done up.
Zrat is offline Find More Posts by Zrat
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:00 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Dec 2004
379 Posts
ZR
You likey beavers?
loubud is offline Find More Posts by loubud
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:13 PM
Syracuse NY area
Joined Dec 2003
58 Posts
Wow! was I ever behind. I was not getting my e-mail notices the last few days, and was 9 pages behind! all caught up now. Finally got some of my pics from the fly in downloded...

First 2 pics are Lou's new SS with special fly in Graphics, and a surprised Lou.
The next two are my resurected vintage Scimitar
NYFlyer is offline Find More Posts by NYFlyer
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:19 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubud
ZR
You likey beavers?
Mmmmmmm
Zrat is offline Find More Posts by Zrat
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:19 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
ZR, I know that the su-27 will not ship until next week as H-L blew it. You will have to do some glueimg but I am going to leave the everything but the esc and radio attached.

Lou, any planes are gratefully accepted. But they might get turned into awards/prizes for the club. That said after the bug, the e-flite Tensor was my favorite until I under propped it and broke it.

Ok, here is the Psycho PBF( should I call TMZ? ) first pics.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:28 PM
Syracuse NY area
Joined Dec 2003
58 Posts
More pics....

Ken's Corsair, before meltdown
My Sig E-force
AJ's Jug taxi testing
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:03 PM
Oh look I'm bleeding...
USA, IL, Rock Island
Joined Dec 2005
379 Posts
Ya know I don't feel too bad about the corsair, cause that's the first time I've ever melted the solder out of an esc by pulling too much power.
ktaylor is offline Find More Posts by ktaylor
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:34 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
OK, servos are attached. I have never used the balancing rig while building before. This bugger should be a rocket.

Tim
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:06 AM
Syracuse NY area
Joined Dec 2003
58 Posts
Ken,
Melting the Esc and flinging the solder, now that was impressive!

Ok for those not there I promised to tell the story of the E-force maiden. The E-Force is the purple plane in the pics I posted earlier. It was all ready to go, final adjustments had been made on the TX for rates etc.. I was going to wait for the wind to calm down before I tried it. I was in the pit area at one of the tables making the adjustments, and Ken, the power guru walks by. I held the plane straight up and ran the motor feeling a substantial pull. I said "Ken do you think this has enough power?"
At that exact moment a gust of wind blew it out of my hand, and it launched straight up! This while standing in the pits in a group of people. On the way up, it brushes Lou's wide brimmed hat, but luckily that did not change it's verticle trajectory.
As I stood there with my jaw on the ground, my first thought was "Damn, I am gonna wreck it without even getting a picture of it!" Quickly followed by a thought.. "it's heading up, fly or die time!" I grabbed the sticks leveled it off and got to the runway, where I made a couple of laps and brought it in safely, despite my shaking hands, and shock from the unexpected launch. It flew great, very responsive, and the only change it needed was to remove the bit of weight I had added to the nose. It liked the CG a bit farther back than I had it, and flew quite well on later flights. I only have 3 or 4 flights so far, but I think it will be a lot of fun as I get used to it.
Aerobatics and 3D stuff happen at a crawl or at a brisk pace, it likes a bit of power on to land smoothly. The motor is a Himax, and comes with the kit.

I only wish that the unintentional maiden would have been captured on video, because I guarantee the look on my face must have been priceless as it slipped from my grasp, and rocketed straight up.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:25 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Horizon is fast this week. The herd of gws direct drive props, and other parts will be here tomorrow . The stuff from h-l is on a truck, and will probably get here next Wednesdat . And the psycho pbf will probably maiden tonight . All that is left to do is hang the landing gear and hook up the linkage.

Tim
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:46 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
got two very nice flights in today with my art-tech cessna. it was quite breezy, but this plane is fast and well powered (i ugraded it from stock). enjoyed circuits, some aerobatics, and even a couple of spins, although just releasing the sticks so the would center caused the plane to recover. probably not a bad thing! i have only spun one other plane, that was my p3 p40. much more pronounced, so much that i won't try it again with that one. also shot a few landings and take offs. stayed at the park for longer than usual, glad that my stamina is increasing. i miss the days of bringing 3-4 planes to the park and making a morning of it!

tim, did you start an account with hl? i think they do free shipping on parts if you do. they are also having a labor day sale, starting friday, i believe.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Last edited by rob737; Sep 02, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 05:25 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Rob, the parts are from Horizon. I don't know if I set up an account, but I made friends with one of their sales reps .

Good to hear your back is feeling better.

Tim
Old Sep 02, 2009, 07:10 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Phil, unintentional flight is bad. Usually.

OK, here is the latest pic of the Psycho PBF. It's lg and balance time. I am going to leave it boxy until I decide it is a keeperat that point I will lighten it up considerably. As of now, with a 3s500 I am looking at around 10.5 ozs. or pretty heavy.

Tim
Last edited by FERNDALE AIR FOR; Sep 02, 2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: right, the pic.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 07:51 PM
Oh look I'm bleeding...
USA, IL, Rock Island
Joined Dec 2005
379 Posts
Adam, Pat & Rudy, if by chance the fly-in next summer was to be held in Maquoketa Iowa, do you guys think you might make it?
ktaylor is offline Find More Posts by ktaylor