HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:08 PM
Oh look I'm bleeding...
USA, IL, Rock Island
Joined Dec 2005
379 Posts
Pat, what's the Barbara Jean? Got a link or a pic?
ktaylor is offline Find More Posts by ktaylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Ken, try this

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...airplaneid=177
patnchris is offline Find More Posts by patnchris
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:40 PM
Savannah Ga
Joined Apr 2009
49 Posts
Pat that's a nice looking plane, it just looks fast

glad to see you back in the mix, sounds like a good day of flying
aj1202 is offline Find More Posts by aj1202
Old Sep 01, 2009, 04:18 PM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
517 Posts
Pat;
That is a beautiful looking plane.
What is your setup for it?
Also, where did you get it?

Or did I read all of it, and just spaced out???
TE
TerryE is offline Find More Posts by TerryE
Old Sep 01, 2009, 04:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
AJ,
It is quite fast.....I built it with stuff I had on hand. Since the control surfaces were small, I didn't use standard servo's. Instead I used some HS82MG I had from the crashed AT-6....I just made adaptors to fit the larger holes. For the elevator and rudder, I used some HS225MG's I had from another plane that bought it. Again, I needed to mod some to get the smaller servo's in a standard hole. I used one of the motor mounts I got from Lou, as it would have required 4 inches of spacers. I just modded the mount to accept an outrunner on the outside, instead of the inside. For a motor, I used the Scorpion motor that was sent to me by Scorpion, to replace the one that burned up. They say it is good for 1300 watts, but I found that to be rather generous. I'm guessing that it is probably only good for 700-800 watts. The motor was originally designed for a heli, so it is 1000kv. Running it on 4S has it really screaming. I actually got to run a smaller prop (13 X 6.5) because the RPM's were so high....I think it may even be a 13 X 8 but not sure. Running it on the bench, she cranked 750 watts. That's a lot of watts for a plane that weighs less than 5 lbs. Since I wasn't looking for gobs of thrust, the smaller diameter prop worked fine. The only issue is getting it slowed down enough to land. Our field is fairly large, an even with that, I need to come in very low.....Last time out, I cleared the end of the field, only 2 feet from the ground.....It took half the field to get it on the ground. At that point I cut the throttle and gave it up elevator to keep from nose over. Much to my surprise (with the prop standing still) it lifted off to about 4 feet and flew all the way to the end before flopping into the soybeans.....I thing it needs air brakes.....LOL

Pat
Old Sep 01, 2009, 04:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Terry,
I had no intention of buying it. A guy came out to our field to watch us fly. After watching me fly for a while, he came over and asked if I wanted a free plane. Being poor, I accepted as beggers can't be choosers. It turned out to be partially assembled, but in a box. I think he assembled it enough to look cool and just used it as a decoration. No electronics installed, nothing glued, just kindda put together....One aileron was missing, so I had to make a new one....World Models uses some weird type of covering that I could not match, so I just used colors that were kind of close. Then I just put it together, using stuff from my junk boxes. I really didn't expect it to fly well, and was taken completely by surprise. While it is not very aerobatic, it flys like it's on rails....Wind doesn't5 seem to affect it, much....and after I dialed the throws up a bunch, I can live with it....LOL....It makes loops the size of a Ferris Wheel.....and definately requires a lot of sky. It doesn't like tight maneuvers, but it doesn't have any nasty tip stall issues. It just refuses, or complains about it, when you force it to do something it doesn't like...LOL

on edit.....An idea of how fast it is???.....It is faster than my Stryker C with the 350 watt 2700kv motor
Last edited by patnchris; Sep 01, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:23 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Color me frustrated. We have the long weekend and all my little planes are down checked. SU--26m has a broken. pushrod, the vapor has a busted tail and the bug is in a tree. I figured that I would get the stuff from Hobby-lobby as I was told that the box would leave on friday and I had them ups them, so they would get here tomorrow or thursday and I could slap an edge together. If the blue foam plane doesn't come together, I may have to slap a version of a PBF.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Tim,
One of the guys at our field slapped a motor, some wings and a tail on a broom handle.....
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:36 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Might have to throw one of these in on the next HC order, these profile jets are growing on me, I love flying the two F22's I have, just trace it out on FFF before you glue it together, last one I did I took the time to keep the leftovers for a template, nice for rebuilds and I'm trying to talk my slimer buddy into some full contact combat

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9472
Zrat is offline Find More Posts by Zrat
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
I'm thinking about starting to build the Great Plaines P-51 60. I'll need to order up some secret servo's. The only thing is I haven't picked up a DX-7, yet and have decided that I will not be building any more planes on 72mgz. The only thing that may change that is if one of my other planes has a tragic accident.
I don't have an ESC, yet but have decided to use the Monster Power 60 I have on the bench. I'll want to run it on 6 or 7S and with that kv I'll need a 15-17 inch prop to get the power I need. I'm pretty sure I won't have the clearance for a prop that big, so I'll probably be looking for a 3 blade. I have no experience with 3 blades so I have no idea what size or pitch to be looking at.....I think the P-51 will look cooler with 3 blades, anyway. Plus, I read, somewhere, that the retracts that come with the plane are kindda carppy....So I'll need to look at them a little closer. Maybe there is a way to beef them up a bit.....I probably am not looking to maiden this plane until Spring, anyway, so I have plenty of time to get it right......
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:11 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Zrat, you say you like profile jets? Try out my Weasel Jet. It's an overly simple build and judging from your skills with foam it'll be no problem. I am currently working on a few MS Paint plan drawings on another computer (cause mine doesn't have it). I'm also developing a version with an airfoil, the Weaver Jet (like Weasel and Beaver combined ) because the flat foam one noses up a little when the throttle is punched. Needs some downthrust.....

And now for the daily battery-in-tree report: It's still up there. I've now got one laundry soap jug stuck up there along with a water bottle, an old AC adapter, and a hammer. The wrench came down. I also trashed a second laundry soap jug today.......... What I need now is a beaver. A really big one. (recognize that? )
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:36 PM
Oh look I'm bleeding...
USA, IL, Rock Island
Joined Dec 2005
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnchris
I'm thinking about starting to build the Great Plaines P-51 60. I'll need to order up some secret servo's. The only thing is I haven't picked up a DX-7, yet and have decided that I will not be building any more planes on 72mgz. The only thing that may change that is if one of my other planes has a tragic accident.
I don't have an ESC, yet but have decided to use the Monster Power 60 I have on the bench.
Pat, these are standard size servos but have more torque than average standards. 90 ounces. I used them on my screamer & they worked perfectly.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=3743

did some quick calcs for the 60 motor you have. For 7 cell a 13x8 3blade (master airscrew) should give you right around 1000 watts at 65 mph. 6 cell is tougher, you could go with the 13.4x13.5 3blade APC prop, gives you a good amount of speed, 80mph at a 1031 watt power draw (51 amps)

These ESC's are great, BEC built in, good for 8 cell is what they claim, but I've only ran themon 6 & 7 cell so far. Hard to beat for $28 & free shipping. http://www.swanghobby.com/flyermate-...ler-pr-72.html
ktaylor is offline Find More Posts by ktaylor
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:53 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Dec 2004
379 Posts
Pat,
Just read your thread on the dead side Forum. Loo-Loo runs a 400kv HXT motor. Set up as a 6 cell, she runs a 14.5 +- two blade APC prop. Mac tried her out with an APC 13.4X13.5 3 blade but performance was a little different. Faster with the 2 blade. Have to pull the spinner off to see the size 2 blade is.
Set up for lipos is two 3S 2100 mah in parallel and two 3S 2100 mah in series. I forget what the Thrust and pitch speed is but Mac liked it. I think she does around 75+ MPH or so and gets an easy 10+ minute flight.
Loo-Loo is a P-61 from Raidentech.
http://www.raidentech.com/newblpmu6065.html
She has JR DS821 digital servos, I'm guessing also that she runs a 60 (I think) amp Suppo esc. with RX battery. Amp draw is somewhere around 50 amps.
Kate has the specs for her somewhere or can run new ones for you.
loubud is offline Find More Posts by loubud
Last edited by loubud; Sep 01, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:55 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
My little blue plane is toast. I am building a psycho pbf from coroplast and blue foam. This thing should be able to accept all the abuae I can think of

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Thanks, Guys,
That MS 13 X 8 3 blade seems about right. Too bad they don't make a 13.5....I'd actually like to be able to pull at least 1100 watts. I'm shooting for an AUW of around 8 lbs....I wonder what happens if I go with 8 cells....Even though the recommended on that motor is 6-7 cell.....???