SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:31 AM
Badius Boy
Windsor ON Canada
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
That is very cool. I have a Watts Up and I still want to tear apart a multimeter. I knew you could measure up to 10A (and have in the past) but wasn't aware you could push it up to 20 and/or make a simple shunt. Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Hey while crusing the other forums, I found this, how to convert your $1.99 Harbor Freight or similar multi meter into a meter that will give you your amp and volt readings like a watt meter or similar.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949923

Check post #295 by Critterhunter, for a dummies guide to the install. I like his as you can still use the meter for it's normal duty the way he did his.
export! is offline Find More Posts by export!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:37 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,414 Posts
Holy crap! I thought my weekend was bad. Hope that heals up there, TP.

Didn't get to fly. Cat died. Steelers lost to the Chiefs, of all teams. Then to top it all off, a family that we didn't know just walked right into our house. Nice people. They just had the wrong house and didn't bother to knock. They were most embarrassed.

Looks like I might have to stop by Harbor Freight tomorrow when I'm making my rounds. I'll grab me a couple of those cheap meters to throw in my flight box.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Nov 23, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:10 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
So, I came home today with big plans. A couple of batteries through the Edge 540, some P-51 action, and then the MSR. (Adam, I stand guilty as earlier accused, barring a solid stream of storms I can fly nearly year around Embarrassed). So, after a severely altered post work regimen, assisted by Oven-E-Queing, I took the Edge out. And because the lift off was a bit slow, I chose to hit the throttle quite hard to get to height. The torque ripped the motor mount off the plane. I assume that the first flights rough landing weakened the foam. It will be fixed soon. Then as the prelim fix was happening I cruised the MSR around the house.

Next up was the Pitts. This plane flies great. I am over it. I have plans for it, but this showed me that I was really over it. I sent it up and while it flew well, was able to do every trick I wanted, it was not the Edge. I also have a bunch of flights on the plane. It was fun, but not what I was looking for. I may have to sever the tail, But I will find a box and get it shipped to it's new home soon.

Then came the Mustang. I have a serious problem with this plane. In evening light it is only a black cross in the sky. Evening is 4:15 right now. Whatever, I got in front of the trees which meant I was looking for black on black, this due to light conditions not actual plane colors. The problem is that the mustang is designed to go up no matter what. So if you flash by inverted you are about to crash. In this case I managed to "dive" into the wreck. No damage. But I am seriously thinking of installing the RX in the SU-26. I won't even hear from HH until early Dec about the RX I sent them.

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah it's me, Glacier Girl
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
StormdriverOne,
Steelers loosing to the Chiefs was almost as bad as the Raiders beating the Bungles.

Hey anyone see the Turnigy LED kits at HK?
Pretty neat, 8 lamps, nav,beacons,strobes, landing lights, and controller for less then ten dollars.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8850
The Scarecrow is offline Find More Posts by The Scarecrow
Last edited by The Scarecrow; Nov 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:00 AM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
- Get well soon, glad you still have both eyes. Reminds me of a time gone by, this kid standing about 30' from the chicken coop which had a nice steel plate hanging on it, not too thick, several feet square, hmmmm....let's see what the old Daisy will do at 10 pumps...whack, why do my glasses have a big dent in the lens??? Ohhh what do I tell MOM Glad I was wearing safety glasses, they are prescrip or I'd be down an eye right now myself cause who needs safety....right? Anyway, enough rambling.....

Tam Popo is ALIVE, I saw him post in the RCU SS thread.

Got one pack through the Edge 540 last night, similar problems as Fern with seeing through the wing, compounded by the fact that my ailerons are flipped 180', I beveled them on the wrong side, checkers on both sides of the wing. I pretty much leave the Mustang in the box and just fly the 540, there is no comparison, I have way more fun with the Edge.
Zrat is offline Find More Posts by Zrat
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:58 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post

Hey anyone see the Turnigy LED kits at HK?
Pretty neat, 8 lamps, nav,beacons,strobes, landing lights, and controller for less then ten dollars.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8850
I made an HK order yesterday and almost bought that LED kit but I'm really trying to hold off on toys for me until after Christmas.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:38 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,444 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, s h i t...... I guess I'm actually going to have some permanant farsightedness in my left eye now. Damn it. There goes my perfect 20/10 that I've always had. At least I'll still be able to fly and (hopefully) build fairly well.... If I close my left eye and work with only my right. Everything looks blurry with both open, but razor sharp when the bad one is closed.

Well, I've got a new pink foamie lined up for construction. This one will have a full fuse, low-wing design, all done in pink and white foam and hopefully painted if I make it that far, and if it survives testing and such. I'm definitely going to build it,though- I just bought a lot of new woods and stuff to make a firewall motor mount (basically my first) as well as some sssooooofffffftttttttt balsa for wing templates. It just can't be beat for shapeability, consistencey and wire-supporting strength as far as I'm concerned. I also picked up some more sheets of flat foam (6mm for control surfaces and such).

I came up with a way to improve my wing cutter, too. I can either get more heat (cleaner cut) or more useable wire length (bigger wing panels). My wire currently anchors to bolts that are in the middle of 2" wide flat wooden spars. By moving the bolts closer to the edge I can gain like 1.75" or more of wire. Doesn't sound like much but that'll put me right on the glowing-wire threshold, or ~18" panels. More careful cutting will eliminate most of the current issues I'm having wiht getting clean cuts so I think I'll try the extra length first.

AND, thanksgiving break started today. I'll have several days to work on this thing now. Of course, I'll be working at half speed because I'm literally half blind

I hate it. I want it to go away but according to the optometrist it's not going to. It'll improve a little more then stop. I'm going in to get it examined again tomorrow. Hopefully they'll tell me they were wrong and that I'll make a full recovery

That's all.........
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:29 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Morning guys. No flying yesterday due to thinking. I did make a discovery though. The Bug is halfway out of the tree. I think tomorrows wind will knock it out or Friday will be a wristrocket and cemetary day. I may have to leave work early today and go fly. We'll see.

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,444 Posts
Tim- in my professional opinion it's chainsaw time .... Why is it that that suggestion comes up with every mention of a plane in a tree and yet we haven't yet acted on it? Something for the next fly-in, maybe

I cut out some new airfoil templates for the planned pink foam airplane and also got some Weasel foam today. I'm debating whether to do a photo build log of the Weasel or start in on the newer design. Obviously I'm up to building today

I went in to get my eye checked up on today and I guess both eyes are now at 20/20. That's good and bad because my 'bad' eye has improved drastically but my 'good' eye has dropped to 50% of it's regular abilities It's just a product of waking up early and going immediately to the eye doctor. It was still a little bit sleepy and gunky, if ya know what I mean. So I'm definitely getting better. Good to know

AND NOW......... A question that I've been meaning to ask for like 2 weeks but keep forgetting..................

Question: I have a regular air compressor used to pump up bike/car tires, soccer balls etc. Goes up to like 300psi or something. I was wondering if I could use it as an airbrush compressor for painting. I can, of course, make an air hose adapter to go from the compressor to the airbrush. I was just wondering if it's got the right air-moving qualities needed for painting. Anyone know?

Tam is really alive? Shoot, didn't know that..... He better get over here.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:27 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Dec 2004
379 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.
Lou
loubud is offline Find More Posts by loubud
Old Nov 25, 2009, 02:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
TP,
I really doubt that the compressor would have enough volume to work an airbrush. Plus you would need some sort of holding tank where you could store pressurized air and then something to regulate it. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to airbrush, but it does take a steady flow of 1-2 cu. ft. per minute. I suspect the compressor you're talking about has a flow rate of .2 cu. ft. per minute.
patnchris is offline Find More Posts by patnchris
Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,444 Posts
Pat- thanks. I didn't suspect it would work because that would just be too easy, wouldn't it

So I just spent about an hour measuring, cutting, measuring, testing, and cutting and ended up with two beautiful wing blanks ready for airfoiling. I glued on my templates and fired up the cutter.

Now, the reason I use wooden templates is because they don't melt, burn, flex, or break during cutting. They're also easy to make. I had my wing cutter sinking into the foam but when I started to apply pressure to move it along the template it wouldn't budge. I pushed harder and it moved slowly. I looked at the template and thought, "That's weird. I don't recall putting the wire BELOW the template...."

Yep, the wire had friggin cut through the template. All the way. Hacked it right in half. It ruined one wing blank and a set of balsa wing template.

Durn.... So I'm left with a single 1.5"wing blank and I think I'll try to copy it and use a different material for airfoil templates this time. I might cut them with my new balsa cutter and put something around the edges to prevent future accidents.

I guess it's time to lower the heat somewhat.....

That's all.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:39 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
TP14,
For an air brush a tank as little as one gallon will work and you will need a regulator and a condisation remover. With a smaller tank like this, you may have to take small breaks to let it recharge air pressure, but I don't think yoiu are going to be painting anything that big are you?
I bought a small 1.5gallon from wally world for like $59
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
TP,
Use pieces of countertop laminate for your templates. I got a bunch of oversized samples from Home Depots and cut them out with my scroll saw. I also drilled two holes in them and pushed nails through them into the foam to hold them in place. The Formica will not burn through easily. Also, after cutting them out, sand them very smooth. The smoother they are the easier the wire slides. I used .030 welding wire on mine. For a power supply I used a 10 amp battery charger with a lamp dimmer on the AC input. It allowed an easy adjustment and a gauge to monitor. A little experimenting and I knew exactly how how high to dial it up for a given length of wire. I also made hand held attachments that could be used for carving out areas, free hand.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
I knew a guy that used an empty helium tank and a foot pump. He would pump the tank up to 60 psi.....Then, using a small regulator would cut the pressure down to 15 psi. That would give him a small amount of spraying time. Then he'd just pump it up, again.