HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:36 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,019 Posts
Quick note here;

I have heard alot of mixed reviews about BPhobbies. The reports are from good to very long wait times for shipping to never receiving items.

I also noticed that over half the stuff on the page linked is out of stock
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:40 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I saw lots of overstock sale stuff, but I just stuck that up there. The Selmans are a true Mom and Pop, and they will tell you when a product is coming in.

Gerald, good to know on BP Hobbies. I lotto'd off one of their planes last year to Ken.

I guess it is off to MSR practice/battery run time checks.

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:10 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,019 Posts
Wow! thanks for the reminder. I'm flying tomorrow, weather looks good. I need to charge the batteries you sent so I can fly the mini P-51 also.

Yep, I love to support BSD, I just wish they would lift that $20.00 order min.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:35 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Now that will interesting indeed. I am quite interested in your results. My battery study for the microplanes is a bit challenging. The Mustang is a champ, but has a needy motor and my su-26 rx is in Champaign to be evaluated. An that was where my best flightmax times came from. I guess I need a Cub to ...... Now that would be a typically irrelevant plan. OK, I have axed 2 batteries from the Heli program, and at least one of the batteries you sent is hitting new lows.

Adam, I have never answered a comment you made. Yes, I do think that the DX7 is incredible, the best bit of rc kit I have ever purchased. I have already put my batteries in storage mode. Hence my big move to Micros.

Back to my "Scientific" study More like learning heli movement. A revelation of earlier today, in a plane when I get close to something I move the right stick left or right and pull up, this causes a heli to move sideways and whack into whatever you thought you were avoiding

Fern
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:56 PM
Syracuse NY area
Joined Dec 2003
58 Posts
TP,
if your plane is acting like that in turns, it sounds like it may be tip stalling. the answer here is to build some washout into your wing cores. To do this your wing tip cutting template should be slightly higher at the TE,than the root template, so that when finished, the tip will have a slightly (couple of degrees) lower angle of attack than the root. this will cause the inboard wing to stall before the outer, helping to prevent dropping a wingtip.

If your templates were out in the other direction it would be even worse. sight down the te, and you might be able to see it.
NYFlyer is offline Find More Posts by NYFlyer
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:13 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Phil, that would mean re-cutting my wings. I'm not really that into this plane to mess with that. The way they're attached right now is fairly permanent. Besdies, the problem is mostly due to my very small tail feathers. I'll just slap on some bigger ones, take care of the dangling antenna etc. and see how it works.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:25 PM
Syracuse NY area
Joined Dec 2003
58 Posts
TP,
something to know for next time.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:17 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
OK, for everybody else, can you produce pic of what you are discussing? I do not know what "wash out" is or how to define it. It sounds like some of the problems I built into some of my early models.

Thanks, Fern
Old Nov 21, 2009, 08:00 AM
Syracuse NY area
Joined Dec 2003
58 Posts
I will have to look for a pic, but in brief, washout is an intentional twist in the wing. the twist which is slight, is such that the The tip of the wing is at a slightly lower angle of attack than the root. When the plane approaches a stalled condition, the inboard portion of the wing stalls first, causing the plane to nose down and resume flying speed, without the tip area losing lift (and dropping)first.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 08:25 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,019 Posts
Doesn't really sound like a win win situation, but I guess it could be
Old Nov 21, 2009, 03:39 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Maiden report.

I finally got to fly the Edge today. Wow is a good word. Ok I have a couple problems( ) I have serious orientation problems with it. I can read through the wing. Now I watch for the wheels. But it is an amazing flyer. It will turn on a dime and is just stupendously manueverable. It makes you look really good most of the time. I only took 2 batteries with me but it was a blast. I have never felt this immediately comfortable with a plane. I spent most of the time with the plane about 10-15' up just doing circuits with high angle turns on either end. I was flying it under the bb backboards. It is that stable. And I have another one in the box . I may debut it out front this afternoon. Depending on when the next storm front hits.

Fern

OK, so I took 11 little batteries out front with the Mustang and the MSR. And the notebook. So after a couple of Mustang flights, one of which lasted ove 7 minutes on a flightmax battery, I felt I had proven to myself that throttleposition is king on these little guys. I will have to get a battery adapter or a dedicated 14c battery for the planes to keep checking. And I did not feel like I had a great speed loss.

Then came the MSR, switch to full rates, let it spin up, and takeoff. I do not understand helicopters. Inside elevator forward makes the heli scoot right along, outside, not so much. I tried to fly but was really just chasing the heli. It would fly better backwards, And if you got much input going it would careen around rapidly.

Then back to the Mustang, without flipping the aileron rates sw. That was an interesting flight, for some reason the thing was a bit more aggressive And to add insult to injury the sky had turned Mustang gray, and the lvc cut in as I was in a diving turn. In the dive part, over the cemetary. i finished the manuever by memory and dove in a bit and pulled back on the elevator. It wasn't pretty put I saved the plane. Walking the block plus to the plane is when I noticed the switch.

Fern
Last edited by FERNDALE AIR FOR; Nov 21, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:15 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I was wondering what the X port plug on the ar6400 rx that is in the mustang su-26 and the 4 site. The cub appears not to use this rx. Anyway, this is for combat modules bomb drops etc http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4020 I do not know about the size etc, but I guess it's on the way.

Fern
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah it's me, Glacier Girl
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
Here you go Mr Ferndale, tutorial on washout, dihedrial, etc.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0055.shtml
The Scarecrow is offline Find More Posts by The Scarecrow
Old Nov 21, 2009, 07:16 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,019 Posts
Tim, Edge video??
Old Nov 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Mr Scarecrow, thank you. The blades on the MSR seem to show washout. The site is bookmarked after a quick read/scan.

Gerald, I did not think to set up the hatcam for the Maiden. I will try to get video later this week. I know you are not a fan of Flat foam, but this one seems to be a winner. It was kind of surreal, flying that low and slow. I did a 360 and was at eye/arm level throughout the turn. And at that speed I could toss the plane around(40-50% throttle). And when I felt like I was getting to low, I could go to 50% and pull back, and light up the motor. Registering in feet per second.

I have made an Executive decision. Flightmax batteries will no longer be used in the MSR. They are able to keep up with the Mustang so far(I need a control battery), and seemed ok in the Sukhoi. In Heli charting they fail miserably in the MSR. Which means I have open batteries.

Fern