SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:38 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Ok I just did some testing on the MSR page. I will be liquidating my flightmax batteries. I will tell the buyer what the problem is. And then I will buy some new batteries. The old batteries are fine for the Sukhoi or older aircraft. But the Mustang, msr and the 4- Site need more C

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
I guess that means I will stay away from those three.....I have had good luck with my FlightMax batteries. The guys at the indoor fly all have Vapors, Cessnas, Sukois, and Embers. They appear to be fine in those planes. Almost everyone there has an MCX....At $1.99 each, we all have a dozen of the FlightMax batteries. Danged hobby shops, around here want $10 for the 110's and $14 for the 150's. Figuring that, even with charging on site, one would need 4-6 batteries to complete an evening, that would $50- $80 in the little batteries. That added to the fact that the mfg is saying that they are only good for 40 or so cycles, means they wouldn't even last a whole indoor season. (They ain't lyin about that. My E-Flight and PArkZone batteries didn't even last that long. Most of the guys stopped buying them because they were dying at 25 the 30 cycles)
So it looks like I will stay with my Sukoi and MCX....and possibly an Ember that one of the guys is tired of and offered it to me for $25

An interesting thought just popped in my head, Tim......What about strapping two of the FlightMax batteries together in parallel. I slight amount of weight added for twice the capacity.
patnchris is offline Find More Posts by patnchris
Last edited by patnchris; Nov 19, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:40 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Pat/Fern,
I picked up some 400mAh single cells from HC, I'm thinking about trying to strap one on the bottom of the P51, woun't fit in the MSR. I need a 2 pin connector, might have to wait until one of the smaller batt's dies.
Zrat is offline Find More Posts by Zrat
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Hobby City sells little extensions for the single cell batteries. They come in a 5 pack. I used one to extend the wire on my Sukoi so I could move the battery further back and cut the ends off the others to make a 4 battery charging harness.
That's what I was thinking about when I talked about paralleling two packs to increase capacity
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:56 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
I'll have to pick up some of those connectors on my next order, I've got a couple of cell phone batt's that may be good and some 2S 800 packs that won't hold a charge, will have to check them out with the Accucel and see if I can salvage any of the cells.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:30 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I am partially reconsidering. I am going to try the Mustang out again with the stock prop. I was getting decent flight times then. If that works I'll probably keep the batteries set aside for planes, and sell off the batteries that are set aside for the helis.

Here are some options for batteries, http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=766 and http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...%2526No%253D18

At $7.50 I got 2 more when I ordered up the Mcx and Msr parts.

Fern
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Tim,
Do you have any experience with Common Sense? Last year I bought 4 2S 700ma packs for my CX2. They seemed ok when I purchased them in January. That allowed me 4 flights per nite at the Friday evening indoor. One cycle per week. By March I was only getting 4 minutes from them. (was getting 10 min. when new).....By the time indoor was over, in May, all were scrapped because they would hit LVC shortly after lift off. Charging showed they were only down 100 ma. I cycled them a couple of times at 1 amp discharge and could draw 650 ma out and put back in 600-700 ma., but as soon as I tried to put any load on them, the voltage would drop to LVC.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Have you guys checked out the "new arrivals" section at Hobby City. They have Zippy 4000ma packs that are rated at 40C-60C burst. Call me stupid, but this would be 160 amps/240amps. I've had cars that don't need that much to crank over. Where would one find a motor or ESC that could stand up to that?....
I know that with larger sized planes it would not be a stretch to be running 10S....That would work out to 6000+ watts or 9+ HP. That would 3D a 40 lb plane....
Last edited by patnchris; Nov 19, 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:44 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Pat, I do not have any personal experience, but the buzz for the micro battery has been positive so far. I may have had one of their batteries during the "Struggle against Murphy's Minions" I think I sent it to BrewerPaul. The problem there was a mag 8 esc, and inexperience.

I need to eat a bit of crow here. I stuck the factory prop back on the Mustang and pulled a pair of plus 5 minute flights off. I was careful not to allow the throttle to get past 66% for long. I have started a sheet to check each battery, but unless I find something dramatically off, the flightmax batteries are good for the Mustang.

Also, I do not think that the 5043 was really that much better on the Mustang after todays flights and am certain that it was a battery killer. It is the answer for the Sukhoi however.

So I have a theory about what's going on with the newer motor strategy for HH. Given that they had a fixed voltage level, 3.7v(n), they had to play with Kv and C rates on the batteries to make these micros go. The first round were based on pager motors in gearboxes to power ultra light planes. And the new 2.4 ghz made this possible. Once it was apparent that this was a burgeoning market, HH doubled down and started planes and helis. And started development of motors and batteries. And now in the MSR we have an absolute need for a high C rate as you are turning 2 motors full time. For the Sukhoi, it would be enlightening to see what the Mustang motor does for it. It would also be interesting to see what the rpm is of a Sukhoi and a Mustang.

Fern
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:26 PM
Boise Idaho
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Pat, I had four CSRC 2S 800mAh packs, no issues in the CX2 until I got bored and left it sitting for a couple of months, all packs were shot, they would show full charge in just a few minutes on the .5A cheapo stock charger but I could barely get the heli off the ground before the batt's died. It happened to five Eflight batt's too so I was thinking it had to do with leaving them at full charge while in storage???

WeaselBeaverJet - Update - I decided to look at moving the control rod on the elevon horns for more throw and discovered an important little detail I overlooked. No GLUE on the control horns, I can't belive they didn't rip out. I'm going for more throw and fixing the horns to the control surface, I'm guessing it will handle better, what a dumas'
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2005
361 Posts
Evening fellers. Boy it is getting cold here. I am thinking of taking all of my big lipos and discharging them to storage voltage. Time to break out the Stryker C and get the hobby lobby Yak foamy going again. Just need a prop adapter and a Spectrum receiver and she will be good to go. May have to pick up a couple of smaller lipos. Been using TP pro-lite 1320. Think I need to go to a zippy 600mah 3s and it will fly a lot better.

I have been flying with my son on the Realflight lately too. Got most of my projects done downstairs.
Adam G is offline Find More Posts by Adam G
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah it's me, Glacier Girl
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
Mr Ferndale, is it possible the 5043 was pulling to many amps for the packs? Would account for short flight times and the sputtering or pulsing may have been the esc hitting low voltage cutout.

I took a look at the site for micros you listed, seems they are short on stock, most items there were listed as out of stock. But did find in their links section a trick mod for my old Astro meter. A way to wire in a switch, and use a 9volt or rx pack to power it so you can check single cell systems, and also get more accurate measurments as the meter no longer feeds off the supply pack.

With the switch you can use it normally or with the seperate pack. I cheated for power as I had no rx packs, or a 9 Volt plug. Found an old tiny 7 cell AAA 600 Mah power pack for something, charged it up to 9 volts and it works!!!

I ran up the servo motor/prop and got an amazing 3 watts and .5 amp draw.
Going to go to a swap meet this weekend and see if I can find something to try it out in.

I'll try getting ahold of the folks at your site about a set up if I find something. Thinking I like the tiny servos vs those actuators for ease of install, maybe if the board would take it, I could use something like the PZ micros use. Think it could handle a pair of motors?

Would really make an install easy, wire in the motors, use the built in servo drives to run possibly ailerons/elevator instead of elevator/rudder.
The Scarecrow is offline Find More Posts by The Scarecrow
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:20 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Scarecrow, you are entirely correct. The effort of the motor to turn the 5043 is a huge draw. But on the SU-26 That prop is a saviour , it makes the plane truly flyable.

Fern

Scarecrow, what site are you referring to? Yes the C rate refers to amps pulled. The design is for powereplant to pull X amount of amps at z amount of milli amps. For the SU-26m a new prop fixed the problem. The new motor seems to need more juice.

So, I ran through 6 Flightmax batteries in the MSR. And 4 were "acceptable", 4 minutes or more. I will go ahead and run the system run. Does any one want the so so batteries, and the 70 mah batteries? Yours for the asking.

Fern
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah it's me, Glacier Girl
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
Mr. Ferndale, twas the BSD site. Most of their motors, other then the super high kv ones are out of stock.

Did you see my question on the board or brick I think they call it?

Think it would hand running two motors? Would be a quick build to just toss that in something, rather then having to buy separate components, wire them all up and such.
The Scarecrow is offline Find More Posts by The Scarecrow
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:45 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Scarecrow, I honestly do not know what the onboard esc can handle. The Selmans are very helpful, Here is a site that has all kinds of goodies, http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V252263 .

Fern