SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Are Un-Clubs something different now? Is it more fashionable to be a member of an Un-Club? The old clubs I was a member of were more like Un-Clubs then the club I belong to now.

While I agree being a member of a club, now days can seem like a task at times! Going to meetings can get pretty onerous, because as in real life today, people seem to have such divergent political agendas and many feel it's simply their way; or, the highway!

Isn't it like this in UN-Clubs? If not, how do I find my nearest Un-club? Is there an Un-AMA that I can't join, because they do not accept members?
My club is a ama club but we have 0 events in a year the only thing we have is our club cook out in aug . We have 100 members but only 7 or 8 show up for meetings and no one says a thing. I have seen clubs that meet and argue about every thing but lucky for me iam in one that frowns on that kinda thing. We consentrate on 4 things ,flying and keeping our club field clean and mowed and having some fun . We rent the land and it is out in the boonys so we dont get any looky loos hanging around and it cant be seen from the gravel road so it is quite . Friday old us guys who have been around a long time(including me ) meet in the evening and pull up our chairs and shoot the breaze and fly some but no one is arguing . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,197 Posts
Spend some time on You Tube, enter "model airplane" in the search block. It's amazing what average to fanatic model builders are doing. It is frustrating to find materials and bagged accessory items at local hobby shops in this ARF age and you may have to order online to set up your own stocks of stuff needed for building. Complete kits and short kits now cost much more than they did 30 years ago due to inflation and the fact that kits are no longer sold in the thousands as in the Berkeley, Cleveland and Sterling days.
BTW, you might want to try an ARF like my Park Zone Stinson SR-10 for something to fly and enjoy while you build something from balsa, ply, wire and little bags of accessories and fastners and rolls of covering material. Here's a picture of my Tritle Stinson Reliant which crashed two days ago and that I'll be rebuilding:
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:45 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
.............................. Here's a picture of my Tritle Stinson Reliant which crashed two days ago and that I'll be rebuilding:
Nice plane!
I have been fascinated by this thread for some time. Mainly due to the fact I am not at all aware that model building is dying out. Apart from what I read here that is. Then I live in my own "bubble" I suppose. I fly slope and I'm not a member of any club. Most of my slope associates build as well as buy. I design, build and fly my own aircraft. They are built from the raw materials: bottles of resin, rolls of glass and carbon cloth, some paint etc. Some of the moulded ones take many months to build. No kits. In fact, I have had very poor experiences with kit planes.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Nov 19, 2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: correction to text.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:03 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,839 Posts
Seems like theres never been a better time to build

I don't think I ever would have attempted to build a kit if it weren't for these forums, or at least the internet in general. When I was a kid I knew no one who was into R/C planes or aviation, and didn't live anywhere near good places to fly. God being a kid was frustrating! Not that being an adult isn't I just had no resources to ask questions constantly and all the magazines I read were showing techniques light years over my head.

I definitely don't have the same perspective as the older-timers here who have been building for decades, but it would seem to me that because of the net, more people are getting into the building/hobby side of this hobby because of the resources available for inspiration and ideas and knowledge. This has probably been said a few times in this thread.....

I just remember every time I tried to build something out of wood as a kid with no help, it sucked cause I didn't know what I was doing. Of course I read books and magazines but look at what we have here now, the ability to directly ask questions to some world class hobbiests and absorb some of their fun and inspiration! There has never been a better time to be into this hobby!
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:08 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
................... There has never been a better time to be into this hobby!
Definately!
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Regulated vacuum system.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:25 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Spend some time on You Tube, enter "model airplane" in the search block. It's amazing what average to fanatic model builders are doing. It is frustrating to find materials and bagged accessory items at local hobby shops in this ARF age and you may have to order online to set up your own stocks of stuff needed for building. Complete kits and short kits now cost much more than they did 30 years ago due to inflation and the fact that kits are no longer sold in the thousands as in the Berkeley, Cleveland and Sterling days.
BTW, you might want to try an ARF like my Park Zone Stinson SR-10 for something to fly and enjoy while you build something from balsa, ply, wire and little bags of accessories and fastners and rolls of covering material. Here's a picture of my Tritle Stinson Reliant which crashed two days ago and that I'll be rebuilding:
Very nice plane ,i have had my eye on tritles tri pacer for a while now but other scratch builds keep coming my way. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:33 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Springer, do you have photos?

We do combat a little here, also. Used to be much more that as of late. .40 sized Wiffle bats with foam wings, Coroplast tail feathers and 50 foot streamers. Now were doing the Blue foam delta wings. During our Fun Fly we had 12 of them in the air at one time. It's full contact, no streamers, last one left in the air wins. Lots of carnage and the spectators love it!

I also have a couple flat foam Yaks.
It seemed a little wierd to put our thread in the Clubs Forum, since we don't have membership or rules, so we put it in the Scratchbuilt foamies forum, since we all build them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968746 There are pix of the combat scattered through the thread, mostly at the last few pages, as we've been pretty active this year. We've been meeting at a local metropark every Tuesday evening throughout the summer. Now into the fall/winter, it's pretty much week by week what with wind and cold. We mostly fly semiprofile WW2 fighters as designed by one of our members (dz1sfb) with 20ft crepe paper streamers. Even though we don't try to do full combat, there's a good amoumt of carnage, but the planes are quick fixes, and often get retaped/reglued and back into the air. There's usually 5-7 in the air for a sortie.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone; but, I know that some build all that they fly, from; scratch/plans; or, kits. Then, some never build anything but ARFs. Then again, some never build and only buy ready built airplanes.

I have some ARFs and I also love to build. My guess is that there are many people just like me. Your statement: "BTW, you might want to try an ARF" (snip) is probably pretty obvious to most.

Nice Stinson! I like the vintage aircraft from the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, also!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Nov 25, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:24 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,806 Posts
Quote:
Theen, some never build anything but ARFs.
Yes, but they're all Chinese and never get to fly what they build. The people who assemble the ARFs built by the Chinese, they get to fly them. That's just not fair!

I think one of the most important ways to "bring model building back" is to realize that it hasn't gone anywhere.

Maybe to INCREASE building we need a TV show where a guy actually builds one and flies it (instead of one crashing a foamie). Or get the "closet modelers" in Hollyweird to show us what they really can do that takes skill.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Maybe to INCREASE building we need a TV show where a guy actually builds one and flies it (instead of one crashing a foamie). Or get the "closet modelers" in Hollyweird to show us what they really can do that takes skill.

Andy
Thats not a bad idea, even a net-based series would be popular on Youtube or something. Basic planform with a few things going at once to keep it interesting - it could have a few segments covering materials, electronics, engines, the building process and actually flying the things! Switch it around a bit, link stuff in from other builds etc to keep a bit of cross-episode interest going.

*Cut to boingk leaning on a workbench, P-51B Mustang [sans engine] front and centre*

"Now, remember those servos we used for the basic 30" Stick in episode 4? Well, those'll be perfect for the throttle of the .46 glow engine we're installing, too!"

Geez, this actually really does sound like a good idea!

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:08 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
boingk, I love it!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:53 AM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
I love it to - and it doesn't even have wings
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:05 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Hmm... maybe I should invest a bit of time on weekends and see what I come up with...

One thing I might ask is what level to cater to - all levels? Lower and middle-level building? A lot of my experience is with either scratchbuilding, kit building, or ARF's. You might say its a reasonable building portfolio, but definitely nothing fancy. No really big stuff or compound curves in the scratchbuild department yet, but I do work with a few mediums - foam, balsa and carbon have all been on my adgenda.

Another thing I could bring to the table on this one is the 'low cost innovation' look at things - I generally make a lot of my own accessories such as my flight/toolbox, plane restraints, landing gear, etc. This is often out of neccessity due to low budget but a willingness to acheive something. For example:

"Now, for this one you can go one of two ways; you can go to the LHS and buy some premade control linkages, or you can make your own out of bamboo skewers/CF rod and some fine-gauge wire. I'll be detailing the DIY approach on this one; its easy, its cheap and it works!"

Probably my last good point is that I'm reasonably versed in both electric and IC powered flight. My system experience ranges from micro brushed indoor flyers, current micro-style builds (up to 24" wingspan & 4oz weight), AMA-legal parkflyers (electric and IC) and up to a 5ft wingspan .46-powered Stick. Types of plane include conventional tractor prop as well as pusher prop, gliders and EDF models.

My areas of weakness are building large (5ft plus) models, extensive use of composites (bagged-wing gliders, carbon fuses etc), building very high speed models (100mph plus), performing some 3D maneuvers (although I am learning) and helicopters (not really interested).

Damn, I'm getting way too interested in this one hahaha

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:44 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
I still Build because there is nothing out there of what I want to build !
I'll find some photos or drawings , and build it , Sometimes I just go for it because it is a total one off right out of my head and on paper, brainstorming ways to make it happen , then try them out in the shop .
Thats the wonder and excitement of it for me . First , Can I do it ? and will it work when I'm done .
Actual Kit building is fun be it plastic or balsa, as you start to see how structure works togather , thats a good teacher and a good primer for the video you plan . But I think teaching how to one off what someone would like to have , that currently dont exist, would be the WOW factor .
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Last edited by inventing_man; Nov 21, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:33 PM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
boingk - Personally i do not care about your resume, for now we only need willingness, anybody who feel they could commit and do better can always take over in the future. The way I see and try to do it is that when you're scratch building you get at a point where you are assembling you're home build arf, so start at the beginning.

A few suggestions would be to give a heads up on what is going to be done next week, that way you could get people to send you ideas on alternatives in methods, materials ect.

Try to keep it on the same day and I think a weekly basis would be good.

Just remember that YouTube have a time constraint.

Best of luck, I wish I could be part of a project like this.
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
Closed Thread