HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
I built the funder and lightning electric twin boom from depron. Nice flying plane all up for 50 bucks. Sands like balsa and all you need is hot glue. Can build it in an afternoon but I'm wood, expoxy, etc guy at heart. However these smallish - 30 - 40" span planes could be a good intro into building. You get the immediate gratification many seem to need today while your cutting, shaping and "gluing" foam to wood and after a few hours your flying.
Thermalin is online now Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:47 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
I built the funder and lightning electric twin boom from depron. Nice flying plane all up for 50 bucks. Sands like balsa and all you need is hot glue. Can build it in an afternoon but I'm wood, expoxy, etc guy at heart. However these smallish - 30 - 40" span planes could be a good intro into building. You get the immediate gratification many seem to need today while your cutting, shaping and "gluing" foam to wood and after a few hours your flying.
I think also that alot of foam planes are much lighter because they have no internal structure . I was a carpenter for 29 years so rough framing a structure and then covering it is in my blood. Its crazy to see some of these new guys bend and roll foam with only some carbon fiber to help it hold every thing together. It makes electrict motors a no brainer for these birds. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:34 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,758 Posts
Electric, and......turbines ?

Turbine powered Depron/foamy

As often said, whatever the material, if you can build a model using it, why not.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:56 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,381 Posts
The circumstances that inspired the past generation to turn onto model planes, are gone. Oh, I believe there will be youngsters with it in their blood and the pastime will continue, but not in the same ways.

A free flight guy at our field tells the story of a 1930 free flight event in up state New York, having a thousand contestants and ten thousand spectators. The circumstances for that are not going to happen again.

However, there will always be the adventuress kid that modeling can provide the means of relating to trains, airplanes, rockets, or whatever. How many of them will there be? Who knows?
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:57 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
I've just sat and read most of this discussion(I qualify as an old fart) Skills are being lost in all walks of life in the so called developed world.Somebody said earlier what happens when the guy in China wants 15$ an hour.Industry will move on to the next undeveloped cheap wage economy as it's been doing for over 50 years,leaving behind a consumer culture that will gradually forget it's basic skills(which is where we are at) Where it ends I don't know-the last undiscovered Amazonian tribe knocking out fridge freezers.
I think a fear of this is what makes our generation so concerned about today's "quick fix"culture.The world moves on-I guess some of don't like the way it's going.(just got back to the hobby,building a depron plane love the stuff)
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:27 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Well when my daughters who are a good 10 years away from having kids budt you can bet boy or girl, "grandpa" will be introducing model airplanes to them. I have it figured out... going to start early with this... how cool is this!!
http://www.aircraftspruce.me/catalog...blueprints.php

my daughters roll their eyes!
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
Well when my daughters who are a good 10 years away from having kids budt you can bet boy or girl, "grandpa" will be introducing model airplanes to them. I have it figured out... going to start early with this... how cool is this!!
http://www.aircraftspruce.me/catalog...blueprints.php

my daughters roll their eyes!
I love the power requirements....

Type of Fuel, 2 "Twinkies" and a "Coke"
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Pretty neat, which one are you going to build?
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:04 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I think also that alot of foam planes are much lighter because they have no internal structure. <snip> It makes electrict motors a no brainer for these birds. joe
For sure... but a skilled balsa worker can always make a good, light frame for something. For example, I've made a wing (yeah yeah, I know... again!) with an 18" span and it weighed in at a scant 2.4oz ready to fly - and I could have possible gotten it as low as 1~1.5oz if I were to have used lighter electronics.

For that matter, I'd definitely recommend the flying wings as a first time build... if perhaps not a first time flyer. They give people a good idea of what is required to build up a structure but aren't particularly complicated and do not require a fuselage or empennage. The simplified control surfaces and linkages also help things along.

Cheers guys - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I'm thinking that new people to building want to build something that is probably closer to scale as a first building project and although there are full scale flying wings, there aren't very many of them to choose from.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:13 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
This is the link i was looking for earlier... so many to choose from!
http://www.pedalplanekits.com/plane.html
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Better get on it quick, they grow up why too fast!
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:13 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Better get on it quick, they grow up why too fast!
Good point... a child fits a trike, small bike or peddle car only for a couple of years.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Look at the Knifeedge swap pages for Realflight's electronic art airplanes to see a whole other way of modeling! There are pages and pages of models you can download to your Real Flight Simulator! Is this the newest form of model building?

http://knifeedge.com
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:49 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Always been interested in flight sims (mostly first-person view simulations) and had a go at RealFlight the other day at the local hobbyshop - they have it set up with a controller or two on a bigscreen up the back.

It was a blast for sure, especially just being able to switch planes etc... but for me its more an entertainment than a serious pastime, not to detract from the electronic programmers/modellers out there at all but my 'simulation' is real life! Why not just go outside and fly? Sims certainly do have their place and can be useful for new flyers but, personally, I'm not about to shell out the money for one.

Anywho, back to my balsa, covering and soldering iron

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Closed Thread