HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Ray, thanks for showing the process of building the internal structure! I'm very interested in how your will sheet over the structure. When you get to that point, can you outline how you do this?
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:38 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
I want to try foam soon and have been watching ray build for a while now . It will be a change but i think it will also be fun to do. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:26 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I see a lot of foam builds that are covered with balsa sheeting... anyone ever build a balsa structure and cover it with foam sheeting?
Of course, all in the scratchbuilt foamies forum.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I want to try foam soon and have been watching ray build for a while now . It will be a change but i think it will also be fun to do. joe
I'm with you Cracksmeup. I hope that Eflightray will post a continuation of his Spitfire build here. Doing so, might cause some of us who are happy to build in balsa, to consider a different way.

Yes, we-I could go to the Foam Forum! However, we-I might not know we're interested in building in foam, so this is an opportunity for foam builders to to expose others to their choice of building materals and show off their building skills.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:30 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I'll put up my hand and say that I've had a shot at building with foam, although nowhere near as refined as Ray's Spitfire. Most of my foamie scratchbuilds have been pusher-jet speed machines, although a skeletonized foam/covering bird is in the works at the moment.

I used regular 6mm foamboard and the plans from rcfoamfighters.com to make a YF-22 pusher-prop jet. Dimensions are 32" wingspan and 50" length. Heres its maiden flight:

Giant scale pusher prop F-22 jet (2 min 42 sec)

Its not painted and the battery hatch was left off, but you get the idea. Definitely check out the scratchbuilt foam forum for some ideas!

Cheers guys - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:18 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
I have been wanting to build cartoon planes i found this 737 plans and kinda got my heart set on it . Its not a beginers foam plane but i have taken on bigger builds and compleated them . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403481
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 03, 2011, 02:29 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,783 Posts
The Spitfire is going to be a fairly slow build, so don't expect many updates. I'm in a funny mood, (and not the laughing funny), as the weather has been atrocious here in Wales and I'm just not getting any flying in.

The link to my build threads - Post #1301 of this thread, shows more or less how the Spit will be built, especially the Dauntless thread.

I use Depron, but there are quite a few other types of foam available. Some people like to carve or hot wire cut their models out of blocks of foam.

Here's a link to another of one of mine that really is simple, looks pig ugly underneath as that's where everything is stuck on. But in the air she looks a flies like what she is modeled on, even though she is basically a profile model. She's a load of fun to fly, especially in fast low passes, followed by a near vertical rolling climbs.
Keeping it simple and cheap is always a good way to try something new, and get the feel of a new material.

Here she is, Mosquito
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Last edited by eflightray; Nov 04, 2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have been wanting to build cartoon planes i found this 737 plans and kinda got my heart set on it . Its not a beginers foam plane but i have taken on bigger builds and compleated them . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403481
That is a fun looking airplane!
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:36 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Yes, we-I could go to the Foam Forum! However, we-I might not know we're interested in building in foam, so this is an opportunity for foam builders to to expose others to their choice of building materals and show off their building skills.
Well, Ok, how about a twin Beech out of a single sheet of dollar store foam?

Build log here, with cut sheet plan: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426039

Or a 60" span motor glider also from a single DS foam sheet that's been up to 1400', and will hang in light thermals all day (well, not ALL day, but we've had 50 minute flights on only a couple of climbups): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=osg

Or maybe a variation of the 30's racer theme at 40" span: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329784
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Thanks Springer, interesting! The Beech 18 is certainly an interesting airplane to model and if I were to build a twin, would be one of my first choices. I've seen my share of multi engine glow airplanes destroy themselves becaus of an engine out. I always said I would never build a multi engine bird because of the carnage I've seen over the years. However, electric power has changed my opinions on doing a multi plane now.

When I get home from work tonight I will readover your links.

Again, thanks!
Last edited by Mode One; Nov 04, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:42 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,410 Posts
Of the three I posted, the beech is the toughest for me to fly. It's AET (decided it wasn't worth making the little rudders moveable) so at speed she's not too bad, as I did do differential thrust on the motors, but landings and take offs are "interesting" On the other hand I get a real kick out of low passes, "looks like the real thing"... I have on the back burner (way on the back burner) the thought to scale it up to 40" wing span or so, make from fanfold and do retracts and operational rudders. The build guide threads all have videos as well as in process pics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I wonder what the percentage is of people in the hobby who only build in foam? Gathering from paging through the Foam Forums, you would think the proportion to be fairly high. However, at the club field and at my club's fun fly, most R/Cers seem to be mainly using traditional balsa airplanes, albeit ARFs. Of those, maybe 30% are dabbling in foam profile and/or combat airplanes.

It may be that a high percentage of foam builders are not members of clubs and fly on their own.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:19 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,202 Posts
It is quite likely that a high proportion of the people who never fly with clubs fly mainly or only foamies. Though the last time I was at my local club a good 75% of the models present were also foamies, mainly ARFs, so it's certainly not just the non-clubbers who fly foam. How many of them actually BUILD their own models is a lot more debatable.

My guess is that it's the newer or younger builders who are building only in foam. These may be people who started with an RTF foamie, graduated to ARF foamies and may never have owned any plane made of any other material....and if my local club is at all representative may not even have seen that many traditionally built planes. If so then perhaps they are the future of model building .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:05 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Just keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with building with foam. There's some beautiful foam builds on these forums. I might even consider foam planes a "gateway build" in the sense that after building a foam plane and getting to see your work fly, you're more likely to want to build bigger and better planes, likely in balsa.

I'm actually building a coroplast flying wing right now(CA drying). This is my first build, just so I have something to fly since I crashed my Cessna, and something to fly while I'm building my first balsa plane this winter.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:27 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I wonder what the percentage is of people in the hobby who only build in foam? Gathering from paging through the Foam Forums, you would think the proportion to be fairly high. However, at the club field and at my club's fun fly, most R/Cers seem to be mainly using traditional balsa airplanes, albeit ARFs. Of those, maybe 30% are dabbling in foam profile and/or combat airplanes.

It may be that a high percentage of foam builders are not members of clubs and fly on their own.
To be honest my use of foam is mainly because, it's cheaper than balsa; my local model shop doesn't stock what I want in the quality I want, (it's a tropical fish shop that also sells RC cars and a few planes); also I cannot 'select' my balsa by using mail order, I just have to hope I receive the grade and quality that I order.
Cost is probably the major factor.

Where as, the foam I use, mostly Depron, is identical every time I buy some, and in the UK it's not very expensive compared to balsa.

Now if there was a really good model shop nearby, selling top quality balsa in the grades I want and can select, and it was reasonably priced, then I would be back balsabashing.

One point though, I wonder has many model clubs develop because there is a good quality hobby shop within driving distance ?.

Mail ordering everything is probably a major disincentive for anyone new to the game, especially when they don't even know what they want. Hence the proliferation in, 'everything is in the box' buyers.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Closed Thread