Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:41 AM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
I did not nitice any body here looking down or being negitive about ÄRF people, all the tit bits I've read in this forem did acknowledge their space and reason, the question was how we can bring building back, and I interpreted it as how we can bring it back and promote it. i think that most of us don't have a problem with ARF or the people that loves to fly them, but how do we get this part of the hobby (building) to grow.
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:54 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
EINA, The topic has come up, back a couple pages.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:12 AM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
I did not mean to be rude to you mode one, but the trend on this forem has been very positive so far and if one were rude or negative in general to any body in this great hobby of our's I would disaprove also, I know of a lot of folks that do not have the time but they've got the money, if they can not work at the klub they provide the materials
needed and if I say I'm better than them then one of these days I will not have a place to fly - there is space for every one. I would love for them to build anyway and will always try to encourige them to try.
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:34 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EINA
I did not mean to be rude to you mode one, but the trend on this forem has been very positive so far and if one were rude or negative in general to any body in this great hobby of our's I would disaprove also, I know of a lot of folks that do not have the time but they've got the money, if they can not work at the klub they provide the materials
needed and if I say I'm better than them then one of these days I will not have a place to fly - there is space for every one. I would love for them to build anyway and will always try to encourige them to try.
I didn't take it as you were being rude to me, only clarifying why I had made mention of the post previous to yours, about ARFs vs Building.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Sep 04, 2009, 02:51 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy designing and building. The slope soaring world is rife with excellent builders and some of the younger modelers are getting up to their elbows in epoxy and glass doing their own thing. It seems a lot more prevalent there than in other areas, but maybe that's because it's the best way to get the sloper you want given the limited ARFs available other than racers. Or maybe it's just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyAA
By the way if anyone knows where I can get a full size plan for a Grumman E2c Hawkeye I have been looking for about two and a half years.
I used 3-views from the airwar.ru site
Power scale sloper (PSS), all foam and fiberglass, weighs a ton and needs a gale. Two short flights in two years, but worth it.

Nauga,
from the Ironworks
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:48 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Nauga I am impressed. However to my knowledge your bow (Nose) numbers are wrong.
The average US carrier carried four to I think sometimes six E2s. The numbers always started with 600 or 601. These were reserved for the commanding officer of the squadron. Then the numbering went 602, 603 etc.
WillyAA is offline Find More Posts by WillyAA
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:50 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
These are real E2s I managed to get my hands on. I especially like the one launching. To watch this in real life is astounding. I spent many hours on "Buzzards Roost" being a lookie loo.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:22 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyAA
However to my knowledge your bow (Nose) numbers are wrong.
I can assure you I am familiar with Navy Modex
In the late '60's and '70's E-2 squadrons most definitely used 7XX and 0XX series Modex.

Nauga,
who knows times change
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:42 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Sorry I have never seen them in my twenty years in the service. But I may be wrong. It most definitely would not be the first time.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:28 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,467 Posts
I'm working on a group build idea that I hope will get some builders motivated. This one is not for the first time builder but rather for guys who have at least limited building experience and want to move into warbird building. However, the same idea could be applied to any type of airplane and might serve to draw in guys who might not build otherwise. Here is a link to my project.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8962908/tm.htm
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Sep 05, 2009, 01:52 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
I'm working on a group build idea that I hope will get some builders motivated.
Chad,

Great idea and project. Looks like you're getting a lot of support for it.

Are you building the prototype and then going back to build another as a group build?

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 05, 2009, 02:46 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Similar thoughts as already mentioned within this thread made me initiating several projects like this Workshop.. The ARF is a 1250x800x6 mm large sheet of depron...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post13045280

It is about a Mig 3 warbird
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2734437

I dont think that material is an imporant fact to define a scratchbuilt
as long it is made from scratch .. cut the parts ; shaped the fuse ( additionally created the plans - but I dont want to go too far!

As someone is willing to learn, this he is reaching for total freedom - to see a bird - to get the drawings of the original one - ( USAF Museum was very helpful with this in the past - and also the German National " Museum für Technik" ) and just build it as a proto! - whatever results out of this -drawings or kit- is just a matter to time and "service" as basic techniques like using a jigsaw or a cutter sould also be able to be performed by the participants or following builders!!!

Hansjoerg
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Last edited by Harpye; Sep 06, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 03:19 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
Chad,

Great idea and project. Looks like you're getting a lot of support for it.

Are you building the prototype and then going back to build another as a group build?

EJWash
I have taken over 500 photos of the prototype build which I will use to Illustrate the group build. I may or may not build a second airplane myself but it won't be necessary for the group build to proceed. I will fly my prototype in primer and, while the group starts to build, I will continue with the detailing and painting process as well as keeping the web site up to date.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 03:25 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,229 Posts
Chad,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
I will continue with the detailing and painting process as well as keeping the web site up to date.
How's the short kit coming, and when do you expect to get the first (of many - I hope) group build rolling?

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 05, 2009, 06:13 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
Chad,

How's the short kit coming, and when do you expect to get the first (of many - I hope) group build rolling?

EJWash
I have most of what I need to start producing the short kits already. Still need to do a bit of work on some of the vacuum forming plugs to bring them up to a production standard. Also need to get the laser files set up for production. I'd like to be shipping kits within the first week or two of October. Hopefully this is not overly optimistic! The prototype is actually a bit further along than these photos show as they were taken about a week ago. The airframe is now completely finished, glassed, and sanded out. With any luck it will fly (in primer) within the next couple of weeks.

Closed Thread