Closed Thread
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:43 PM
South West, UK
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I'm not familiar the Gangster...
From what I gather (only been into RC for 18 months or so myself, fixed wing even less time), the Gangster was a mainstay low wing kit in the UK between 30 and 40 years ago. and is still talked of (and recently re-released by Ripmax) now. I came across one in a barn sale, got it as it looked like good value and loved it (after some alterations).

Gangster 62, and me.

The chap at the local hobby shop said as I was starting to modify my planes and tweak ARTF's to suit my flying style that I should think about building. Thus the Gangster 2000 project was started. For the record Mode One, I also have to spend more time than I sometimes like at work, I'll fire some questions at you shortly.
wildc4rd is offline Find More Posts by wildc4rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Wildc4rd, one of the best ways to promote building that I've determined, from the year and a half this thread has existed, is doing "Build Threads" on these R/C Forums. I think in particular people new to the hobby; or, new to building R/C model airplanes starting a thread about the project they're working on would be very interesting and helpful to other new people! Would you consider doing a build thread on your Gangster? Looking at the work you've done so far, I know you are fully capable! Also, as you come to a stumbling block, you might get multiple great ideas on how to solve a problem.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Feb 12, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
That, M1, is the best idea I have yet read on this thread. As many have pointed out the "I can't build an airplane, it's too complicated!" stigma may be what's keeping a lot of people away from building, so what better way to show them it is not rocket science than to have a step by step example of just how easy it can be?

And the "shared adventure" of taking a bundle of sticks or foam and turning it into a working flying aircraft with their own hands may just be what it takes to awaken that latent builder in them.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Fly Wheel, I don't think it needs to be step by step, that might scare off wildc4rd; or, someone else from doing a "Build Tread"! We don't want to do that, we want anyone who has an inkling, to feel free to talk about their build.

I also doubt we'll have someone who is a "Builder in Foam" do a build thread here on the Builder's Workshop. I have invited guys who build in foam several times to post a build thread here and nobody has taken the suggestion up. They seem to stick closely to the Foam Threads in the Electric forums. I understand this as since I'm really only interested in balsa construction, I don't go to the foam threads! However, the Foam Threads are specific, you probably should talk about construction, using mostly foam there. The Builder's Workshop is not specific to building materials, which means that foam guys can build here and not be concerned about not being in context; or, having a thread moved.

These forums do promote some exclusivity, which I feel creates disconnects in the hobby.
Last edited by Mode One; Feb 13, 2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:16 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
I tihnk build threads are generally done by two types. Those who know (and some who really know) what they're doing and those who are new-ish builders and want advice / help, etc along the way. I enjoy following both kinds. The accomplished builder always lets me learn someting and usualy quite a few things either with building, finishing, fabricating, etc. The new builder allows me to pass on the bits and pieces I picked up along the way as well making it more enjoyable by reducing obastacles that may be encountered or things to watch out for as they go.

Those who do build threads need to realize that we're not here to criticize or point out issues as this is what most are familiar with when putting your "work on display". It's human nature. Quite the contrary, this hobby is one of the few areas I know of where it's truly people you don't even know helping you by passing on what they know for the better enjoyment of all. It's really quite refreshing. Remember the days before these boards... As a kid, not being able to drive, getting to the field a couple times a month if that, the learing process was slooooow being in bits and pieces. Now it's available 24 hours a day for even the most smallest of niches... The exchange of ideas is exponential... It's great!

So if your thinking of doing a build thread, please do. Builders don't care if your building a 1/3 scale masterpiece... or a trainer. It's the building that links us all together. If your not making mistakes.... your not pushing the limits... in essence your not learning. (ok I'll lead a chorus of kum bay yah now! )
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Last edited by Thermalin; Feb 17, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:18 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Well worded and I mostly agree Thermalin.
Last edited by Mode One; Feb 18, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:18 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Although for the most part I agree with you Thermalin, I disagree with you about everyone's intentions. I feel there are people on these forums who's intentions are to criticize others work! I'll be the first to admit I don't like everyone here on these forums who are participants and feel its easy to see they don't like me. Such is life! So, it can be difficult at times determining who are detractors simply for controversy sake and who have genuine questions.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
I feel there are people on these forums who's intentions are to criticize others work!
In all the build threads I have followed from simple to complex, I have yet to run across a single person who criticized another member's build thread, or work.

Could you post a link to a build thread where this has happened?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
In all the build threads I have followed from simple to complex, I have yet to run across a single person who criticized another member's build thread, or work.

Could you post a link to a build thread where this has happened?
Agreed most the build threads I subscribe too are pretty good about helping out with useful comments. Questions asked and answered and ideas shared.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:01 PM
South West, UK
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Wildc4rd, one of the best ways to promote building that I've determined, from the year and a half this thread has existed, is doing "Build Threads" on these R/C Forums.
Consider it done! I'll keep it updated.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post17445589
wildc4rd is offline Find More Posts by wildc4rd
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Wildc4rd, I will be following along. Thanks for taking the "Bull by the horns"!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:15 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,406 Posts
Sorry, but...... (Why do I often see the negative side of some things ?. Well not exactly negative, but a slight misgiving).

Workshops.

One of the first things anyone has to consider when building their first model is, "where the heck am I going to do it ?".

There have been a few threads such as, 'show your workshop', and there will be the usual photos of what to some of us look more like an empty shopping mall full of work benches and power tools.

There will be very few, if any, of the "I built it on my bed, on a tray, on the kitchen table etc" pictures, that shows that a full machine shop and loads of equipment is not necessary to build models.

No offense intended to Wildcard's thread, but anyone new to building their first model and looking at that workshop and equipment may think, 'that will cost me a fortune, it's easier to buy an ARTF'.

I know the whole point of this thread is to get those who are unsure about building their first model, to have a go. And many do, probably more so in the foamie forums, but I'm still not quite sure what is being suggested here will get anyone to consider building, no matter what the build material.

Ok so I'll show you a picture of my 'workshop', it's the corner of a small bedroom/boxroom. The picture is a couple or more years old as it shows my Dauntless under construction.
My 'bench' is a single bed tipped on its side with a 6' x 20" work top to build and often store things on. The room also has my computer desk and the accumulation of many many years of not throwing anything model related away.
Currently I have just built a 64" span 74" long Mig 1.44(ish) model in there, with my Sunderland stored at one end, and the Dauntless in another corner.

At last, the point - you don't need a big workshop and loads of equipment to build model planes, only the guts to have a go.

Sorry if I've stepped on any toes, it wasn't intensional, I just don't have much room to turn around.

Here's the pic, I also had to work around my Majestic Major at the time, (an 88" span vintage model, also built in there).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
I do a lot of the initial work (cutting ribs, for instance) on the kitchen table so I can be near the family while they watch reruns on the boob tube.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:54 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,574 Posts
For the first 5 years that I was in the hobby, I bui;lt on the kitchen table of a mobile home. This worked out well.............until I discovered Giant Scale. LOL
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:06 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Built many a plastic model and stick-and-tissue models on a TV tray in my bedroom when I was a kid. Moved up to a card table (found it at a thrift store) when I built my C.G. Falcon 56 in the mid '70s. In my college years, my one-room apartment looked like a one-room workshop. Instead of a blender and toaster, the kitchenette counter top had a Dremel scroll saw and other building tools on it. So, going simple CAN be done.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Closed Thread