HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:11 PM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Dec 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
another ten years and this place is going to be a war zone
Depending on where you live.... take a wrong turn and you could be in war zone today! Until this year, I managed a large warehouse / distribution center. Most of our employees lived in the lower income side of town. I had one employee arrested for murder, several that were either shot or nearly shot. One of the High Scools nearby (actually in a very high income area), had a group of footbal players that ganged up and beat up a freshman player because he did not enter the locker room through the correct door. (hazing) .. kid ended up in the hospital for several days.

When we lived in NY, the local middle school had ro break up a sex-on-the bus. routine that was happening on a regular basis.

Many that want to criticize Home school families usually bring up the lack of 'socialization' as negative side of home schooling. True enough... I have definately met some kids that did not get out enough and seemed very odd. That is, however, the exception by my observation. The majority of HS families are very committed and loving families. My kids get tons of 'socialization'. I just choose to filter what type of socialization my kids will participate in.

Rant off!!

Back to RC building
caveeagle is offline Find More Posts by caveeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:16 PM
Electric Vehicle Enthusiast
United States, MO, Rolla
Joined Jul 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Depending on where you live.... take a wrong turn and you could be in war zone today! Until this year, I managed a large warehouse / distribution center. Most of our employees lived in the lower income side of town. I had one employee arrested for murder, several that were either shot or nearly shot. One of the High Scools nearby (actually in a very high income area), had a group of footbal players that ganged up and beat up a freshman player because he did not enter the locker room through the correct door. (hazing) .. kid ended up in the hospital for several days.

When we lived in NY, the local middle school had ro break up a sex-on-the bus. routine that was happening on a regular basis.

Many that want to criticize Home school families usually bring up the lack of 'socialization' as negative side of home schooling. True enough... I have definately met some kids that did not get out enough and seemed very odd. That is, however, the exception by my observation. The majority of HS families are very committed and loving families. My kids get tons of 'socialization'. I just choose to filter what type of socialization my kids will participate in.

Rant off!!

Back to RC building

Glad I am not the only one seeing the hideous things taking place.
I feel that schools should offer some sort of aircraft building/designing chapter in Physics class, but that's just one of the many things we could do to push people towards doing something productive instead of something devastating, such as murder, rape, bullying, etc.......
-Don
Mr.EV is offline Find More Posts by Mr.EV
Old Dec 30, 2010, 07:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Just this week I visited one of the Hobby Shops that I went to as a kid for my free flight kits and was my home away from home, when I got back into R/C in 1975-76. The last time I had been there was around five years ago. Living in rural-Northern Minnesota, large hobby shops with huge inventories are few and far between. At any rate, I was happy to see a few kits in with the hundreds of ARFs the shop had for sale. However, I forgot to check to see if they had a good selection of balsa, but did notice there were the ancillary parts and equipment needed to complete an airplane built from a kit; or, from scratch!

I'm sure this hobby shop keeps an inventory of exactly what the owner feels sells best! However, I'm sure they would order what ever you would like and charge you more then the discounters would, if you so desire!

I felt the visit was a good thing and reinforces my opinion that the R/C model airplane building hobby is doing O.K.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:21 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
I wish my LHS was bigger; they have a nice balance of hobby "stuff", including a rack of balsa and CF bars and tubes. Most of the boxes on the shelves are ARF's, but their are a few kits. The manager tells me he wished he had more room, he probably would have more kits.

I wish my LHS was bigger.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Dec 31, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
I got here surfing the web and I write this message more driven by nostalgia and less to contribute something worth mentioning.

I am a little-bit older then you Mode One, but have followed -up to a point- the same route.
Free flighters, gliders, control lines, a sailing boat, and ultimately a 4 channel on-off R/C.
But before I knew it, the time of the "proportional" R/C came and it was a hell of a difference flying with the former vs the latter.
As I couldn’t afford the upgrade, I said “I am going to build one”.
My first diy info came from magazines like “American Modeler” and “Model Airplane News” (don’t recall any “R/C Modeler”) but soon switched to more electronics oriented type of literature, thing that finally led me abandoning model building in favor of Amateur Radio.

Since then, I watch the evolution of these two hobbies and note the similarities. Bottom line is:
Today, the technology is such that a home builder just can’t follow.
We were building wings from balsa airfoils, they are assembling pre-formed synthetic foam wings. They are lighter and don't break that easily.
We were building transmitters and receivers with discreet components (tubes or transistors), now they are assembling kits of surface mount boards.
They have better characteristics and more functions.

It’s true that both hobbies have lost some of the "glamour" of building your own gear, but don’t neglect counting in that today’s youth is running quite faster then we did then.

Happy 2011 from almost(?) defaulting Greece
mauve is offline Find More Posts by mauve
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Thanks for the view from where you sit, Mauve!
Last edited by Mode One; Jan 02, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:12 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Yeah, ham radio is similar. It used to be that most people built their own equipment, either scratch or kit.

Now, you buy and use.

N3MCJ
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:10 AM
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
488 Posts
Well I started years ago too. In and out of this hobby.

I started this hobby years ago too. Built a Sweet Stick at age 16. Falcon 56 MKII at 17 (the stick didn't last long). College, girls and work followed. Stepped back into the hobby ten years ago, bought an Avistar (I went into the shop looking for a kit). Then my daugther was born. Stepped back into 5 years ago. My son was born. Determined to start this hobby again, in 2005 I finally flew the avistar, crashed repaired it. Had a Tower Trainer for back up. But in '07 completed a Kraft Kit 4 Seasons Fourty kit, and started a plan built F-18 pusher.

Jim
jpurcha is offline Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jpurcha; Jan 03, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
The third model in your group of photos looks like a Sig Kouger, is that correct? This is a fun airplane!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:13 AM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Dec 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
The third model in your group of photos looks like a Sig Kouger, is that correct?
I agree, 'looks just like the Sig Kouger I had and crashed in the late 80s.
caveeagle is offline Find More Posts by caveeagle
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
The Kouger was a fun airplane. I had a O.S. .60 Blackead in mine. Crashed it out winter flying on a frozen lake!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:21 PM
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
488 Posts
Yeah, the plane was a Sig Kougar. First and only time I used K&B epoxy paint.

Jim
jpurcha is offline Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How time flies
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:44 PM
Hmm, I wonder If this will fly
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jul 2004
420 Posts
I've only had a chance to read thru about 25 pages of the posts here so far but i thought i'd toss my 'lil story and .02 cents in...

I got into R/C models when I was 10, I'm 30 now...
My first plane was a gentle lady kit w/ cox .049 power pod, using a 72Mhz AM 2Ch radio. she flew a few times before i totaled the fuse, for years i kept the wings and the plans... I never really had the money to buy annother kit so i built a plane or two out of whatever i could find using that old 2ch am radio... by the time I got into High School and had a job, I had outher things on my mind. then I got married, more life to deal with...then for some reason my wife and I stopped by a hobby shop that had opened near by to take a look around, they had a Sig Riser on consignment for $60 (assembled), that I ended up buying... since then I've been back "in" the hobby...
I Loved building that first gentle lady, so when I cut the outer 1/3 of the Sig's wing off (survey stake I didn't see) I decided to do the rebuild... no plans no guides, just me glue and balsa. she worked fine after the rebuild... then I decided to build a new fuse for those old gentle lady wings... from there I haven't stopped building and modding planes since.
to this day I've designed and built 14 planes from scratch (working on # 15 now), 4 more kits, and I can't seem to buy an ARF, BNF, PNP whatever that I don't end up making fairly major mods to eventualy (one and only exception so far is the UMX Beast)...

whenever someone comes up to me while i'm flying I uasally get asked "how mutch did it cost?" and "where can I buy one?" and allmost ALL of the people who ask are imeadately turned off when they hear anything about haveing to build it... way too many people have that "gotta have it now" mindset. every now and again I find someone willing to put the time into modeling not just flying models, my section Sgt last year is an example, he bought a RTF model to start flying and a kit for his next plane that way he could work on flying now and by the time he finishes the kit he should be ready skill wise for the new plane...
this is what I tend to sugest to people now, it gets them in the air now (that gotta have it now feeling) but also gets them building and learning what makes a model. I explain that it's hard to repair something if you don't have a clue how it is made, and sugest they build at least one plane from a kit or set of plans just for those building skills if nothing else. some like building some don't... but most that I still run into now and again have at some point thanked me for getting them to put one together, even those who say they won't build another kit, if just so they understood how to fix their ARF planes without buying a whole new plane...
killerproblem is offline Find More Posts by killerproblem
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,494 Posts
Agree wholeheartedly with your point. Get them in the air, quick "cheap" and easily....This usually means one of the cheaper RTF's of foam or similar. Once they get the taste you can quickly discern thier interest. It won't be long... if they have any inclination... they will want to "build' thier own foamy....it won't be long after that if the interest is there they will want to build something more substantial and so it foes. I have seen this happen again and again. If the interest isn't there to build, it won't be.. not saying you can't cultivate it but there are builders, there are assemblers of ready mode components and thier are the plug n play types. All great as far as i'm concerned. It's the last two categories of people who have led to the explosion of the hobby and plethora of cheap, quality products not now on the market for all of us to enjoy.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hmm, I wonder If this will fly
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jul 2004
420 Posts
exactly,
lately i've been sugesting the hobbyzone "champ" for a cheap starter plane, it's small, rtf only about $80-90 and very simple to fly and is avaliable all over the place, and then sugesting a basic 4ch kit as their second plane, more or less any kit they have to at least do some cutting and glueing and installing of their own gear, weither it's foam or balsa they should at least get some skills for repairing from their mistakes...in balsa I think the House of balsa kits are easy to assemble, for foam most of the "airframe only" planes or plans for simple depron planes seem to be the way to go...
at least they get a tase of flying a plane they Built (or atleast assembled)...
killerproblem is offline Find More Posts by killerproblem
Closed Thread