HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:20 PM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Dec 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
I find older modelers that are returning to the sport after a long absence are more inclined to do a build than the younger crowd
That is my situation. I sold my wife on getting back into the hobby as a father/son activity. My kids are home-schooled and lots of activites are a good way to keep them well rounded (and grounded in reality).

My 12yr old will not be able to go flying without me, so he should have plenty of time to build and tinker with a kit.

Having already stated my bias towards kits, I can definately see to temptation of some of these new ARFs. There are a few planes that I have always wanted to fly. Any scale biplane, a Corsair or a spitfire have all been on my wishlist. I usually start getting really impatient 2/3 though a kit build.

Maybe some day I will try one out. How do the ARFs handle rough landings and damage repairs? Can you get replacement parts? Wings cowls etc?
caveeagle is offline Find More Posts by caveeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,196 Posts
Most the newer foam ones are very tough. Parts are cheap and a minor cash repairable with 5 mintues epoxy.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I do both ARFs and build. Some ARF companies make good products, some do not. The better manufacturers will offer replacement parts. I've found Hanger 9 and Great Planes ARFs to be fairly well made and the companies support their customers. I've found some of Hobby Lobby's ARFs to be of good enough quality; but, their instructions are lacking; I.e. no description of what fasteners go where, lack of clarity in the written instructions. Their customer support is, however, excellent. Others will bash the people I seem to think are good and praise others I don't think so highly of.

They all seem to use hot glue for building and you can find places where there is a lack of adhesive; or, to much! This makes you concerned for places you can't see! I never worry about this with airplanes I've built.

There is a good point about them and that's that you won't be as attached to an ARF, so you won't feel quiet so badly when it crashs!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:22 PM
Never Satisfied!!
Scottsville, NY
Joined May 2008
581 Posts
[QUOTE=mike2663;16924211]Most the newer foam ones are very tough. Parts are cheap and a minor cash repairable with 5 mintues epoxy.
Mike[/QUOTE

If it weren't for ARF's I myself never would have gotten into this hobby. I have always had an interest, and have built static models for years. The planes though always seemed to scare me away. I remember watching my father spend hours building one only to have it crash on the second flight. These days with money being so tight the foamy ARF's was the way to go for me. I was able to find out without spending a ton of cash if this hobby was really for me. Of course it was, and I continued to fly, crash and repair my foam airplanes. It was a great way to learn about the physics and electronics. I soon found myself hooked and am building my first kit this winter. I love building, but never would have gotten involved if I had to build my first plane.
tshero is offline Find More Posts by tshero
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:37 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
I got into the hobby because I like to work with my hands. If ARF's would've been the only option, I'd be building something else.

Flying is an added bonus, to building. Flying is fun, but not the reason that I'm in the hobby.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:56 PM
Never Satisfied!!
Scottsville, NY
Joined May 2008
581 Posts
I agree now that I am in the hobby. The weather here is not favorable for flying much, and I work evening/nights so my in the air time is limited. While I have not built a kit, my ARF's have all been modified, recovered, you name it. I am excited to do my first build. The building, reading, researching, all of that take preference over flying for me as well.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,196 Posts
I guess the easiest way to get motivated about doing a first build is finding a subject that has always caught your eye and go for it. A Goldberg Cub for instance. Very easy build straight froward and can be modded to the military version if thats what your into. A complex build such as a Mustang or Jug with retracts and flaps and so on can be demanding and frustrating on the first time builder not to mention added expense of all the scale goodies. Not saying it cant be done but make your first a easy one.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshero View Post

These days with money being so tight the foamy ARF's was the way to go for me. I was able to find out without spending a ton of cash if this hobby was really for me. Of course it was, and I continued to fly, crash and repair my foam airplanes. It was a great way to learn about the physics and electronics. I soon found myself hooked and am building my first kit this winter. I love building, but never would have gotten involved if I had to build my first plane.
You just told my story, to a tee. I always wanted to try my hand at flying, and the foamies afforded me an opportunity to do just that.

I am a foamie lover, and a balsa lover. I've got the best of both worlds....

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshero View Post
I agree now that I am in the hobby. The weather here is not favorable for flying much, and I work evening/nights so my in the air time is limited. While I have not built a kit, my ARF's have all been modified, recovered, you name it. I am excited to do my first build. The building, reading, researching, all of that take preference over flying for me as well.
Great! Good to have you in the fold! I'm with you as far as the building, reading and research taking preference over flying. I also have had foam airplanes and built with foam and have a couple flat foam airplanes. However, I prefer traditional building materials. This is a hobby and as such, is something we do for fun during the precious little time each of us can devote to it! So, to me it's all about doing exactly what I want to do!
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 27, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 09:04 PM
Never Satisfied!!
Scottsville, NY
Joined May 2008
581 Posts
One big issue in my area is the lack of good helpful LHS's. We have two within a hour of my location but the one is always packed and the other is just out to make money. We do have some great clubs but with working nights it is difficult to catch up with the members. So, I have been a self taught flier, and have learned through trial and crashes. I also love RCG and all the helpful people here.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Wow, must be nice to have two hobby shops so close to you!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:29 AM
United States, NC, Locust
Joined Jul 2001
179 Posts
One thing I always tried with new students, when I was instructing, was to get them to "build" there next plane, from a kit. I would even give private lessons on how to cover, etc, to help with the process. Those with the desire to build, continued. All of this was about 10 yrs ago, before ARF's were so prevalent.
zx32tt
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:50 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle
I sold my wife on getting back into the hobby as a father/son activity. My kids are home-schooled and lots of activites are a good way to keep them well rounded (and grounded in reality).

My 12yr old will not be able to go flying without me, so he should have plenty of time to build and tinker with a kit. <snip>
It is also a great way to educate him, especially in science; knowledge of which has been seriously lacking in this country, both in education and interest. The Japanese are really big on it, which is probably why they are rapidly leaving us in their dust.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:10 PM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Dec 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
It is also a great way to educate him,
You are very correct! There are so many practical applications of math, geometry and physics.

My kids (4) have always tested out at least 1-2 grade levels above normal. This is just another example of the creative ways we can help out kids out in the learning process. I was showing my son how to use a modelers protractor to measure and duplicate angles in our current build. He cut me off mid sentance and said, 'I know how to do that. Just like we learned the other day...'.

Don't get me wrong, Homeschooling is not for everyone. I thing I would have gone crazy as a kid without my school activities. (band, auto shop, ROTC etc.)
caveeagle is offline Find More Posts by caveeagle
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:33 PM
Electric Vehicle Enthusiast
United States, MO, Worth
Joined Jul 2010
274 Posts
I was home schooled until 7th grade, it took me another two years before I actually began to learn anything in school......
I find it sad how the greater minds who are stuck in public school usually never get the their full potential, another statement of our failing country, another ten years and this place is going to be a war zone if things don't straighten out for the better soon.
-Don
Mr.EV is offline Find More Posts by Mr.EV
Closed Thread