Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Not worth the effort!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 21, 2010 at 05:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Not worth the effort!
Well, it's something to keep in mind anyway. Blogs can run hundreds of replies long, and be a source of some great discussion. So can the "Chit Chat" forums threads.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
If they're something your interested in then go for it. I'd rather discuss the topics here!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Was just offering a couple possibilities. I don't want to see you get upset again and lock down the thread again, that's all.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:19 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,028 Posts
One question just how does looking at a stack of old magazines bring building back? Would not doing a demo with the AMA supplied gliders at a local school or scout meeting have more of a impact and stir a bit more interest? Just a FYI it's going to be 71 and sunny today I'm flying not building.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
mike2663, I have done what your suggesting, it was fun and best of all the kids had a great time doing it. I strongly urge you to do something for the children, also! You really don't need to concern yourself with my benevolence.

Looking through magazines (new and old) is where some of my funnest ideas have come from! The article I spoke about provoked my getting busy building a great airplane and having fun with the process of building. I guess you missed this point

Have fun flying Mike!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:15 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,028 Posts
Our club has and will continue to do just what I described and suggested in my post along with working with other organizations such a Wounded Warriors. I'm glad to see you also have pursued those avenues. There's a big difference between sitting on your hands wondering why than actually going out and doing it. Many complain but flew actually take a proactive role in promoting our hobby.
Mike
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,109 Posts
Hey, I got one for you. Since you're into sailplanes and old magazines...

I remember an issue, don't remember which mag but suspect RCM, with a large sailplane (100"? 120"? 3m?) which had a terraced airfoil toward the TE.

Anybody know what that was?

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:08 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
One question just how does looking at a stack of old magazines bring building back? Would not doing a demo with the AMA supplied gliders at a local school or scout meeting have more of a impact and stir a bit more interest?
The pic in this post is from page 10 of the December issue of Model Aviation (AMA's magazine). An example of one club making use of old model building mags...

I was a Scout Leader (Boy and Cub Scouts) for eleven years. In Cubs, the boys had their Rocket Derby which were 10" rubber-powered carved balsa models running on a 50" guideline. In the troop, there's the aviation merit badge where the boy is required to (from the merit badge requirements):

"Do ONE of the following:
a. Build and fly a fuel-driven or battery powered electric model airplane. Describe safety rules for building and flying model airplanes Tell safety rules for use of glue, paint, dope, plastics, fuel, and battery pack.

b. Build a model FPG-9. Get others in your troop or patrol to make their own model, then organize a competition to test the precision of flight and landing of the models."

(by the way, I earned this badge when I was a Scout just a "few" years ago... )

I've been an registered Aviation Merit badge counselor for my local BSA council for fifteen years. I put on weekend seminars once a year that covered most of the requirements. There'd be about a dozen to just under twenty boys in attendance. There were a few requirements that the boy had to do on his own outside of the seminars. Out of the dozen, *maybe* two or three would follow through and complete the requirements and earn their merit badge. I passed the seminar baton to another father and he reports about the same attendance and completion numbers.

Promoting or "bringing back building" takes a multi-prong approach. There's just not a one silver bullet solution.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,028 Posts
That's the type of hands on approach that I was referring too.
Mike
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
EJ, That's a great idea! Many members in my club toss there Model Aviation magazines in the trash after their done! This would certainly be a much better use, then throwing away.

Paging through my old RCMs last night, I was lucky enough to come across the build article of the Zoegling Primary Glider I just bought the plans for! It's going to be fun to re-read them!!

Andy asked a Trivia Question in his post above, I have no clue as to the answer; but, hope somebody will. I've got a couple of easier ones: 1). Who was splattered all over all the magazines back then the as Worlds Best R/C Pilot? 2). Who was like 10 years old back then and hot on his heels?
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 22, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:45 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,201 Posts
Boy Scout days are a lot of work and great fun for everyone involved.

This is last years event at our club. We've done this for several years.

Enjoy....

PMAC Boy Scout Day 2010 (10 min 13 sec)

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:46 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Boy Scout days are a lot of work and great fun for everyone involved.

This is last years event at our club. We've done this for several years.
Too cool! Thanks for sharing.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Boy, I sure miss out on a lot of stuff, not having high speed internet!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:30 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Some years back I sent a postal money order to RCM for a subscription, but later learned they were out of business. They did not send my money back, and I had misplaced my reciept for about five-six years. I've not persued the issue of getting the money back any further. I had made the assumption they were still printing magazines. Well, anyhoo, I read other r/c magazines, but have't collected them much, but have given some away.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Closed Thread