SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 05, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
This thread was closed for a while because I felt it was being abused by one poster, not because I was attempting to punish anyone; or, that I was taking my toys and going home! Closing a thread is a viable option any thread starter has available to them. This thread is almost 1 1/2 years old and there is some very good information on it! If you can get by the fact that I don't think anyone should use someone else's thread as their own personal build thread and that I have exercised my right, as provided by RCGroups, to close a thread, because I felt I was being abused in it, I would love to see your projects and hear what your interested in about building R/C airplanes!

Others have started similar carry-on threads like this one, when this was closed. That's fine and if this thread dies, that's fine, also!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:33 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,343 Posts
Another thread, “Are You A “PLANS” Collector?” (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353545) really touches upon this thread. Plans building foregoes marketed kits and is still alive and well. In many cases, its not so much a problem finding plans for a particular model, its a matter of finding the desired scale and detail.

I myself have a lot of fun going over plans, keeping in mind that the whole idea is to take this one-dimensional display and turn it into a three-dimensional flying model.

Yet another avenue to get spark interest in building.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:39 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
This thread was closed for a while because I felt it was being abused by one poster, not because I was attempting to punish anyone; or, that I was taking my toys and going home! Closing a thread is a viable option any thread starter has available to them. This thread is almost 1 1/2 years old and there is some very good information on it! If you can get by the fact that I don't think anyone should use someone else's thread as their own personal build thread and that I have exercised my right, as provided by RCGroups, to close a thread, because I felt I was being abused in it, I would love to see your projects and hear what your interested in about building R/C airplanes!

Others have started similar carry-on threads like this one, when this was closed. That's fine and if this thread dies, that's fine, also!
You are overly moderating this one, dude, relax, it's a thread, it's not your life. If you have a problem with a member, take it to a private message, don't start posting the I don't like you bit, you don't get that kind of liberty when you are in charge of a thread. I start mine, let them run their course, good bad or indifferent, it would be nice if they stayed on topic at some point, but let people be, and part of it is simple conversation about anything and everything some times. It allows us to relax and really share, it also keeps the threads lively. So lighten up dude, and stop trying to control things, otherwise you are going to find this thing getting really stale in short order.

Anyway, back on topic here, the areas I'm delving into, build wise, something only a scratch builder can get into, blending different plane styles together, to create things no mass produced manufacturer would dare to do. Current one, have a build log going in the foamies section, I'm going with a slow style wing without the conventional cub/cessna/trainer high wing configuration. looks kind of cool so far, not exactly a noob looking styling, which is typical for a slower flyer, but should in theory be something that should be a bit more agile in the air should I opt to want to bury the throttle. Not sure what to call it, except good cheap fun.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Thanks for your post Saucerguy! I've got things under control; but, thanks for your concerns. So, can we move on, now?
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 13, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your post Saucerguy! I've got things under control; but, thanks for your concerns. So, can we move on, now?
Yeah, after that nasty PM you sent me, I'm moving onto finding the block member feature on this thing....
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:44 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
Ok, found out their block member feature, it's in the user cpanel, user ignore list, you just updated it with the offending person, and every time they post, you don't see what they have to say. Now that is added and updated, I get to move on....see how simple that works?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerguy View Post
Yeah, after that nasty PM you sent me, I'm moving onto finding the block member feature on this thing....
If a member of RC Groups sends you a nasty PM, you are entitled to report the PM to the mods, who will issue a point to the sender if it is indeed deemed not in the best interests of RC Groups.

Any PM sent, must abide by ALL the rules of RC Groups, the same as it applies to all posts made publicly.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:58 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,196 Posts
Or bring it up here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/site-suggest...omplaints-259/

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Another thread, “Are You A “PLANS” Collector?” (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353545) really touches upon this thread. Plans building foregoes marketed kits and is still alive and well. In many cases, its not so much a problem finding plans for a particular model, its a matter of finding the desired scale and detail.

I myself have a lot of fun going over plans, keeping in mind that the whole idea is to take this one-dimensional display and turn it into a three-dimensional flying model.

Yet another avenue to get spark interest in building.

EJWash
My interest in starting this thread was to promote the building portion of this hobby. I've stated many times in this thread that my opinion on building activity in the R/C world is higher then what I first thought when I started it. I also think the best way to spark more interest is by doing build threads in the R/C Forums we visit.

EJ, yourt Citabria Kit Build Thread is very popular and a great example of the dialog between a builder and the people who visit these types of threads! You've shown many examples of how certain aspects of building are accomplished and how to overcome problems, when they arise.

Tom Crump's Cessna 195 build thread is another great example, this time of building from plans! Tom's ability to Fabricate detail parts alone, is worth the read.

There are many, many examples of these types of threads here and else where promoting building. Occasionally there are good build articles in the published media, something I wish there was more of. This past issue of R/C Sport Flyer has a great build article on building a 4 meter Woodstock sailplane, worth a read if you get or can find the magazine.

Let's keep plugging along here, doing what we do, hopefully picking up more and more folks, who want to build, reading how to do it; or, starting on their first kit!
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 15, 2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:33 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, Mark.

I like to do build threads for many reasons, the main one being to illustrate that this is not rocket science. I try to take a simplistic approach, using commonly available materials.

My idea is; "If I can do it, so can you."

I like to have fun along the way, and I really enjoy the people that frequent my threads. They seem to have a good time, too.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Thanks for the compliment, Mark.

I like to do build threads for many reasons, the main one being to illustrate that this is not rocket science. I try to take a simplistic approach, using commonly available materials.

My idea is; "If I can do it, so can you."

I like to have fun along the way, and I really enjoy the people that frequent my threads. They seem to have a good time, too.
Got to agree with you Tom! It's not "Rocket Surgery", it's building a simple set of skills and adding to them overtime. The biggest thing to me is, it is a whole bunch of fun and pride producing satisfaction!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
I love to watch and follow build threads. It keeps me interested and motivated, for when the time comes and I can get back to my building table. There are some very talented builders frequently sharing thier skills, and available and answering any questions we have.

I appreciate that, as well can appreciate the skill and time it takes to learn our craft. Not everybody can build something, then make it fly on top of it. It really is an art of its own.

I remember waiting every month for new issues of my favorite magazines(RCM, MAN, ModelBuilder,etc..), reading it in about a night, then re-reading them over and over until the next issue hit. With todays technology, and watching the build threads, its like a new issue every day...and you guys are writing it. Very cool stuff. Thx for sharing that.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
While I also find following build thread interesting, I would prefer there where more in the printed media as I enjoy and get more out of it if I can look over the plans, also.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:08 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,343 Posts
Quote:
While I also find following build thread interesting, I would prefer there where more in the printed media as I enjoy and get more out of it if I can look over the plans, also.
I agree! I remember RCM and several other magazines having at least one build article in EVERY issue! I cut my teeth on some of them.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Closed Thread