Old Oct 07, 2010, 08:39 AM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Shark View Post
Hey there Curare !

I thought Id hide the rubber in a small diameter pvc tube inside a hollow fuselage like one Ive built on a project I did to test some new materials wich Ive posted about here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213546

Im actually more concerned about how to tuck away a massive foldable propeller that rubber powered models seemed to have on those vintage photos I have.

If theres a will theres a way !! Maybe it will fly like a brick but the only damage may be my Ego. Ill never know if I never try

Cheers,

Pedro
That's the spirit! so what if it ? I had a ball figuring it out and building it!

So? I'm curious, how did she come out?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Oct 07, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 08:35 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
<snip>Your paragraph above seems to allude to your thought that a thread should only be just so long and then it should end! I guess I'm thankful that the moderators here do not share this though
There's no need to get defensive, all I intended with my comment on the length of this thread was to apologize for bringing up some very old subjects. If there was anyhing else to be written into it was that I regret not having seen it earlier so I could have reply to those posts when they were fresh.

If anything, I'm glad this thread is as long as it is, it's a facsinating read. It must be, I've spent the better part of the last three days reading it (although I could have done without the bickering from time to time; again, not your fault)! The fact that it is so long can only attract attention and because the vast majority of the replies bemoan the lessening of builds and kits, that may actually help us.

This is a big forum, and from the overabundance of ads on it's pages attracts the attention of a lot of manufacturers. The bigger this thread gets, the more they may take notice.

I say post on!
Old Oct 08, 2010, 05:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Not getting defensive! Only making comment on what I understood you to be saying.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Oct 09, 2010, 02:37 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
There are still a large number of manufacturers that sell kits. One of my favorites that you left out is www.eurekaaircraft.com but that is because I prefer modern general aviation aircfraft. The list is my no means complete but does seem to be getting smaller each year.

Human nature tends to go for instant gratification. The thing that seems to always be missing from these threads is that the hobby has something for everyone. Some prefer electrics and others prefer nitro. Some prefer gliders while others prefer power craft. Some of us prefer to fly and others prefer to build and others prefer to fly what they have built. Economies of scale dictate that the cheapest items will be the mass produced items and those are the items that are selling. That is why ARF's are much cheaper now than they were a few years ago. Most are buying them instead of kits. That is why Heathkit got out of the electronic kit business almost 2 decades ago.

It has become too easy to go down to the local hobby shop or mail order and ARF and be flying in very little time. That is why ARF's sell and we sit here wondering how to improve the desire to build what we fly instead of buy and fly almost immediately.

Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:43 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
I love that rescorces list of yours Chuck. If you haven't already done so I intend to cut and paste it onto a personal webpage for future reference (hope you don't mind).

Here are two more you can add:

Northeast Sailplanes - http://www.nesail.com
Soaring USA - http://www.soaringusa.com

Both are sailplane oriented, naturally. But both have a very large selection of birds (both kit and ARF).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:53 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I can post while traveling, I can't build while traveling.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:50 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
When I first saw this thread, I quickly realized that it was a "have to", to read & post. This thread is like a greeting booth at a very large RC event. You know you're in good company here. I say: let it ride !
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
43851E, thank you for the kind words! I agree with you, all of the folks who have; or, do post here are great folks and carry the hobby close to their hearts!
Last edited by Mode One; Oct 12, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:19 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
.....did I kill this thread too??
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:41 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43851E View Post
.....did I kill this thread too??
NOT at all!

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:59 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Another ARF pilot converted. I did this by tossing a drawing together and start in without him just this week. He comes over on the weekends to fly from another city. Now with pictures and specs he's foaming at the mouth.

ARFs never last long for him, at least the ones he buys, foamies and the like. Don't get me wrong, he's a super pilot & we both have ParkZone Radians, great plane and a ton of fun, but going through weak designs just seams to becoming fruitless. The fuse just gets soft. So I told him that he could "cut sticks", and now he's bit. The plans are big and are easy to follow. Perhaps we'll go down to the Hobby Lobby (craft store) and I'll show him how to cherry pick the balsa. (what??)

This should be a floater, scaled up Blackhorse Liberty 72" wing span. I pray that it will come in around 12Oz/ Sq Ft wing loading. I got back into this hobby a few years ago and have been mainly been sucessfull with foamboard & electric, but balsa seems to still have my heart. This plane should last a long time and thats a huge benefit for him. Open the gate and let the cows come on home!

Blue Skies, Doug
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Uncertain if it was in this thread; or, in another; but, someone mentioned it would be interesting to know the ratio of builders to non-builders (kits and scratch builders to ARFers). I did a poll on this a couple years back. I could draw no real conclusions from the poll, other then there seemed to be more interest in building, then I had thought there would be.

Another interesting statistic I'd be interested in would be, where the builders are located? For me, being a northerner, I look forward to the building season as much as I look forward to the flying season in the spring! Building my airplanes over the winter was a way I could enjoy the hobby of R/C when the weather was not really conducive to flying! Therefore it became engraved in my interest in this hobby and now is the major component of my interest. This makes me wonder if there are more "Died-in-the-wool" builders in the north, then elsewhere.

There are many other statistic that I feel would be interesting to know; but, attempting to gain this knowledge is difficult at best. There are just so many bias to get by.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:09 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,040 Posts
Still vaguely on topic, I was thinking how I could put across to a school teacher that building RC model aircraft, (or building any models, but I prefer aircraft), should be part of the school curriculum.

To most non-modelers, what we do is probably classed as 'playing with toys'.

But to many modelers, we see that we learn and use various skills. We are involved in designing, drafting, CAD user, structural engineering, aerodynamics, hands on craftsmen, electrical knowledge, and to some degree electronics, and many many more.

For someone at school and/or college, all these could be, (are ?), valuable skills and knowledge to gain, along with the practical skills of financing projects, procurement of parts, plus that end satisfaction of knowing you made, (even designed etc), something with your own hands.

Surely that's more valuable today than just leaving a school or college with a piece of paper saying you passed xyz exams, but having little no practical skills in putting any of it into practice.

Re-statistics, I'm still a strong believer in, 'there are lies, damn lies, and statistics'.

It's like when politicians say, '..40% of the electorate voted for our mandate..', they never say, '..60% of the electorate voted against our mandate..'. It's how you use statistics.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Closed Thread