Closed Thread
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:41 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
. . . What is happening . . . and is unfortunate . . . is that there is always a few that cannot stand nor appreciate the experience brilliance of older younger hobbyists that posts better solutions.

It is a form of jealousy and they cannot resist degrading the wisdom progress of the elders young, vibrant inventors. They make postings degrading the charater and personality of the more experienced advanced people.

It is in the nature of humanity. Some of these trouble makers will always be around and spread their miserable mental attitude.
There Zor, it's been fixed for you. That's the problem with blanket accusations; they often apply back on those making them. Making 'broad brush' or 'blanket' accusations carries that hazard.

And oh yes, it often seems to be the nature of (elder) humanity to denigrate or belittle the next generation. That by itself will reduce model building.
jcpatrick is online now Find More Posts by jcpatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpatrick View Post
There Zor, it's been fixed for you. That's the problem with blanket accusations; they often apply back on those making them. Making 'broad brush' or 'blanket' accusations carries that hazard.

And oh yes, it often seems to be the nature of (elder) humanity to denigrate or belittle the next generation. That by itself will reduce model building.
Agree 100%
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I guess if truth be known, I've learned a lot more from the younger people in this hobby, that I have from the older people.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:05 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,114 Posts
I've been in the hobby for 20 years now. I got started at the age of 6. So that makes me a young'in at 26 now. What i have seen of the years, is that the people getting into the hobby now are just as eager to learn as they were when i got started 20 years ago. The problem is, Most of the "experienced" generations in the hobby are not willing to take away from their "weekend" fun to help the new comers learn something new. And the only reason i'm not saying "the old guys" or "everyone" is because its not a "age" thing. It falls upon everyone to teach these new people coming into the hobby the ins/outs and how to build.
IMO the best way to do this, is to have some sort of "hints and tips" or "how to" work-shops during club meetings, winter down times,week-night build sessions etc.. This not only gives the new guys a chance to see how to do something (that may be completely new to them) But also opens up a time for discussions and a way for others to explain how to do the same thing in possibly a better way. Another good way, is if someone express' interest in a project they may be working on, offer assistance or advice to them if they seem up in air about something.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:16 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
jcpatrick and NoFlyZone,

Right on "That by itself will reduce model building." thus the expected compensation with this thread.

We do not have the capability of measuring if it really has any worth while effect to bring many to the building bench. Doing something with our hands in terms of building anything starts with the inner feelings in one's mind and heredity.

Of course older or younger depends (is relative) on one's age.

Building is one aspect of the hobby. The fact that I build model planes does not really influence my neighbor (close by or far away) to any large extent.

Hey look at this beautiful model ready to fly or nearly ready to fly. That is for me.

Building these days is nearly a different hobby all by itself.
Wether anyone agrees with me or disagrees does not change the situation.

There is no need to argue one way or the other.
To each his own to do whatever one likes to do.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:56 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Bringing model building back is not the issue... Evolution takes place in all things... and the hobby is moving in directions no one could have predicted years ago. The only thing less model building has done is reduce the number of "kits" available. Since most kits are beginner aircraft or run of mill low wing sport planes... If you like to build, you will soon move on to projects that are not in kit form as so few kits of unique aircraft are available. It seems the most variety in "kits" is in larger sizes and in the WWI, or vintage / 1930's era. Seems odd as you would think these areas a niche market at best yet there are an abundance of kits still being offered in the these areas. And even in these areas the selection is somewhat limited... SE5A, Fokker DVII, etc. I like that BUSA is coming out with 1/6 scale WWI kits not requiring large motors, a parachute worth of covering, etc.. and constructed with the sport flyer in mind (easily constructed allowing the builder to add details as desired)

The best way to induce building is to build yourself.... show up at the field with more often than not your one of a kind model and when someone shows interest...fan the flame! Those who build, build.. those who fly, fly... i prefer to build what I fly.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Last edited by Thermalin; Sep 08, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,367 Posts
I just picked up a copy of Flying Scale Models at the LHS. It's a British magazine. I was astounded at how many kits were advertised in it, of all different types and sizes.

Maybe the "building is dead" is unique to America. I know the Czech model publications we get at work are always full of unique builds, not ARFs so much.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:57 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
By jove I think I've got it!

Participating in this thread has helped me come up with a looney idea.

I've just asked my friend the venerable builder if he has room in his shed for me to set up a workbench to get building two thermal glider kits that I've had for ages [Prophet 941 and Bird of Time]. He started clearing space before I hung up.

There are so many mutual advantages - I won't bore you with details - it makes a lot of sense on many levels apart from building planes.

Now I'm looking way ahead to a project that another friend has inspired and I couldn't seriously consider before - building a giant scale glider of 5-6m span.

This could get completely out of hand :-o
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
In the software development field there's a process called pair programming... Pair building could be fun. !!
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:26 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,479 Posts
At least 2 of my local shops can't get conventional kits, when they do manage to get some they are bought up right quick.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
This might sound bitter, but its just a realization I had: I WAS a member of a club back when my grandfather was still alive. When he passed on, did any of them contact me to try to keep me involved? No.

So, MO, my comment was in no way a personal attack, its just what I've noticed as what is probably your biggest reason for model building to be on the decline: The people that do it / have done it are getting older, dying off, and not passing it on.
Your right, it does sound bitter and immature! In my lifetime, if I ever had the desire to do something, I put in the effort to learn how to do so, I did not expect others to coddle me to make sure I continued on with my interests in a hobby/sport/activity. However, I've always found most others to be genuinely helpful when they could see I had the interest and I asked for help in a way that did not place a huge responsibility on them, to provide it. It's nobody else responsibility to keep me entertained or interested in something.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Others here are hitting on some great ideas. I've been to few building get-togethers and think it's a Great Idea and a lot of fun!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:51 PM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Your right, it does sound bitter and immature! In my lifetime, if I ever had the desire to do something, I put in the effort to learn how to do so, I did not expect others to coddle me to make sure I continued on with my interests in a hobby/sport/activity. However, I've always found most others to be genuinely helpful when they could see I had the interest and I asked for help in a way that did not place a huge responsibility on them, to provide it. It's nobody else responsibility to keep me entertained or interested in something.
Wow, you criticized the stereotype I presented, but you are exemplifying it. Simply amazing.
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Wow, you criticized the stereotype I presented, but you are exemplifying it. Simply amazing.
Par for the course, eh?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:08 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,183 Posts
Give it a rest, boys.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Closed Thread