HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:41 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
So, what I hear you saying is: All the old, gruff, guys are killing the hobby! In the 50-60-70 years of their lives they have been unable to keep up with the vast amount of changes occurring exponentially at machine gun speed and they should be ashamed of themselves for slipping so far behind!
Well . . . if the hat fits . . .
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Last edited by Kookaburra; Sep 03, 2010 at 09:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:47 AM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
310 Posts
PS to my last post: You guys keep at what you're discussing... My sons, my friends and I will be flying our planes at the local soccer field and staying away from all of this style of politics. This is why we ride our motorcycles away from organized clubs.

Read this thread again with fresh eyes and you may be amazed at how many times the parent question has been answered.
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:04 AM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
MO. With all due respect, I'm not generalising at all, 'cept the second last sentence about young enthusiastic minds. Make no mistake, the post is my case study based on experiences with my local club. But I think it informs the topic of this thread - how do we bring back model building - or in this case, [b]what might be speeding its demise[/]?
Kookaburra nailed the sentiment of my "old cranky guys" post. I literally could not find ANYONE who was involved in the hobby that could care less about trying to get me more involved, wanting to be a mentor, or wanting to spread knowledge about building planes.

This might sound bitter, but its just a realization I had: I WAS a member of a club back when my grandfather was still alive. When he passed on, did any of them contact me to try to keep me involved? No.

So, MO, my comment was in no way a personal attack, its just what I've noticed as what is probably your biggest reason for model building to be on the decline: The people that do it / have done it are getting older, dying off, and not passing it on.

And, as has been identified earlier in the thread, the newer generation may not even know that building is an option, being blitzed by all these RTF toys and models, unlike previously where it wasn't a choice, unless they are the "lego" kid growing up with the instincts to build.

This isn't a phenomenon restricted just to R/C clubs. Different clubs (shooting clubs, american legion etc) around the globe are losing memberships at a rapid rate, and generally for the same reasons. The youth has little reason to seek out the clubs due to information being so freely available on the internet, and the clubs keep taking the attitude of "membership sought us before, and will continue to seek us."
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:34 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post

And, as has been identified earlier in the thread, the newer generation may not even know that building is an option, "
This is more and more true every day. It"s the same with recording. Less and less understand anymore that recording live with the band is an option, they know their Protools and stuff and take modern technology as an only option.
It"s funny to find yourself as a"new kid" among the rc-planes, but at the same time"old cranky" among the musicians I might know how these old builders feel. I build too, but i don"t use balsa, so i"m considered as a new kid.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Sep 03, 2010, 05:31 PM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2009
166 Posts
I've read and followed this thread for awhile now. And I can not think of a better group of builders that are also concerned with the education of the younger modelers. Everyone who reads this thread is already involved in the continuation of our hobby. Most of us do what we can for our local clubs and local modelers, but it's not working. Well at least it's not working well enough to save our hobby. Building will always be around, but to get back on top it needs help. We are the ones who need to take action. We are the ones who care the most about saving it. We need a plan! Distance in our digital world means NOTHING. I can ship anywhere I want for almost the same cost as sending it a couple of towns over. I can give advice (good or bad) to anyone from any country. I propose a plan to start a digital mentoring community. One that not only gives advice, but can also send supplies to our youth. Any one interested in the hobby with little experience and those with out the resources to build could contact us for support. If we don't do it who will? What better place than here, what better time than now?

Salty
Salty79 is offline Find More Posts by Salty79
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:16 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintabilly_NS View Post
PS to my last post: You guys keep at what you're discussing... My sons, my friends and I will be flying our planes at the local soccer field and staying away from all of this style of politics. This is why we ride our motorcycles away from organized clubs.

Read this thread again with fresh eyes and you may be amazed at how many times the parent question has been answered.
Hi Vintability:
Nice to have some Nova Scotian input.
We have built up the Halifax Electric Flyers over the past year and a half from a handful of fliers to a membership of 54. We have a wide range of foam fliers to self designers and the club has got to represent the most accommodating and friendly group I have ever flown with in my 60 continuous years of model flying.
Come and join us on Saturday and Sunday mornings at The Shannon park soccer grounds. These guys will prove that there is no need for a wedge between traditional fliers and the latest foamie crowd.
John
www.windandwavemodels.com
John O'Sullivan is online now Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:24 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty79 View Post
I've read and followed this thread for awhile now. And I can not think of a better group of builders that are also concerned with the education of the younger modelers. Everyone who reads this thread is already involved in the continuation of our hobby. Most of us do what we can for our local clubs and local modelers, but it's not working. Well at least it's not working well enough to save our hobby. Building will always be around, but to get back on top it needs help. We are the ones who need to take action. We are the ones who care the most about saving it. We need a plan! Distance in our digital world means NOTHING. I can ship anywhere I want for almost the same cost as sending it a couple of towns over. I can give advice (good or bad) to anyone from any country. I propose a plan to start a digital mentoring community. One that not only gives advice, but can also send supplies to our youth. Any one interested in the hobby with little experience and those with out the resources to build could contact us for support. If we don't do it who will? What better place than here, what better time than now?

Salty
Salt: you just described perfectly the scratchbuilt foamies forum here on rcg!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:36 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
I always thought modelling was a great leveler. I fly with plumbers, pensioners, mechanics, web developers, teenagers, doctors, farmers, truckers, gardeners, policemen and commercial pilots. Surely there is room for all. Isn't it about what we have in common, rather than defining ourselves by our differences? That's where they're getting it wrong at my local field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty79 View Post
I propose a plan to start a digital mentoring community.
It's a great idea. That's kinda what's happening across this very active forum, don't you think? An e-community certainly has advantages. Here I am at kangaroo-poo-corner swapping ideas with modellers all around the world.

But there's no substitute for face-to-face. Although I'm not a member of my local club, I have productive relationships with several fliers who are. One is a venerable gent who is part mentor and part apprentice. We swap roles as the situation demands. He's a crack builder of large structures who began in the early 1950s with escarpments and valves. But he's into most things aeromodelling and is sharp as a tack. We have a great time helping each other and he's enriched my modelling experience beyond measure. He too despises the exclusive regime at the local field.

Mention of Nova Scotia reminds me of the great Canadian academic Prof David Takayoshi Suzuki, whose book Wisdom of the Elders graces my shelves. Although primarily about indigenous people's ecological knowledge, he has important things to say about respect and learning from those who have a lifetime's experience. Alas in our cultures we are too quick to assign our elders to the scrapheap. The waste and disrespect are a downside of our business-driven economies.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:41 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Salt: you just described perfectly the scratchbuilt foamies forum here on rcg!

And the "Builders Workshop" !

What would be nice is something more comprehensive... similar to RCSCALEBUILDER.COM where they cover all facets of building but at a more experienced level. I had started building my first scale project, a VK Nieuport 17 1/6 scale and one of the members sent me the forms he made to use in bending the wood strips for the wingtips, rudder, elevators, etc. Now that is class.... and the kind of assistance provided by members there who want others to get interested in scale modeling. I returned them with a bottle of CA to show my thanks. Maybe we could have some sort of subset of topics under the builders workshop like landing gear, covering, pushrods, etc.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Sep 04, 2010, 04:23 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
I always thought modelling was a great leveler. I fly with plumbers, pensioners, mechanics, web developers, teenagers, doctors, farmers, truckers, gardeners, policemen and commercial pilots. Surely there is room for all. Isn't it about what we have in common, rather than defining ourselves by our differences? That's where they're getting it wrong at my local field.

It's a great idea. That's kinda what's happening across this very active forum, don't you think? An e-community certainly has advantages. Here I am at kangaroo-poo-corner swapping ideas with modellers all around the world.

But there's no substitute for face-to-face. Although I'm not a member of my local club, I have productive relationships with several fliers who are. One is a venerable gent who is part mentor and part apprentice. We swap roles as the situation demands. He's a crack builder of large structures who began in the early 1950s with escarpments and valves. But he's into most things aeromodelling and is sharp as a tack. We have a great time helping each other and he's enriched my modelling experience beyond measure. He too despises the exclusive regime at the local field.

Mention of Nova Scotia reminds me of the great Canadian academic Prof David Takayoshi Suzuki, whose book Wisdom of the Elders graces my shelves. Although primarily about indigenous people's ecological knowledge, he has important things to say about respect and learning from those who have a lifetime's experience. Alas in our cultures we are too quick to assign our elders to the scrapheap. The waste and disrespect are a downside of our business-driven economies.
I was visiting my Grandmother at her retirement home, she's an escape artist so is delegated to the ward that has an extra set of doors that are digitally opened, lol, and after reading scripture to her and some dialog, I moved onto the soap box, the reason she's here is because the family structure broke down, and went on with how our elders should never be sent off to these homes, how this is not how it was in the days on past, including how their wisdom was not shuttled off under the rug, out of sight into homes like this. I surely if had the means would take her in and I have my own parents fully capable of doing, refusing, to boot. Needless to say, my little rant turned into a sermon of sorts and I had a large audience of old folk gathered around us in the process.

Absolutely, we should not be overlooking and putting these old timers off to the side, they are not dead yet, we should not have them put out to pasture and they have a whole lot to contribute in this and many other things field wise!!!
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:50 PM
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
well guys, got my Squirt 400 in the mail today... opened it up first thing and was amazed at how thin and light the balsa is. I didn't get to start on it until tonight (very surprised I waited that long) lol. I do have a question though. when it says to CA joints at adjoining surfaces, does that mean CA it everywhere the two pieces meet? might be a dumb question, just want to make sure I do it right.

so far it seems like a very easy kit to put together. I'm about done with the fuselage.

so far I have been putting CA anywhere the two pieces meet, pretty sure thats the way its supposed to be done, just want to make sure. thanks.
jbrinkley0826 is offline Find More Posts by jbrinkley0826
Old Sep 04, 2010, 11:03 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
And the "Builders Workshop" !

What would be nice is something more comprehensive... similar to RCSCALEBUILDER.COM where they cover all facets of building but at a more experienced level. I had started building my first scale project, a VK Nieuport 17 1/6 scale and one of the members sent me the forms he made to use in bending the wood strips for the wingtips, rudder, elevators, etc. Now that is class.... and the kind of assistance provided by members there who want others to get interested in scale modeling. I returned them with a bottle of CA to show my thanks. Maybe we could have some sort of subset of topics under the builders workshop like landing gear, covering, pushrods, etc.
a lot of that is covered in the scale forum.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 04, 2010, 11:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley0826 View Post
well guys, got my Squirt 400 in the mail today... opened it up first thing and was amazed at how thin and light the balsa is. I didn't get to start on it until tonight (very surprised I waited that long) lol. I do have a question though. when it says to CA joints at adjoining surfaces, does that mean CA it everywhere the two pieces meet? might be a dumb question, just want to make sure I do it right.

so far it seems like a very easy kit to put together. I'm about done with the fuselage.

so far I have been putting CA anywhere the two pieces meet, pretty sure thats the way its supposed to be done, just want to make sure. thanks.
Yep, that's what it means. You don't need to drown the pieces in CA. A little goes a long way...
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:58 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have read this thread with great interest. In particular read post #730.

What is happening . . . and is unfortunate . . . is that there is always a few that cannot stand nor appreciate the experience of older hobbyists that posts better solutions.

It is a form of jealousy and they cannot resist degrading the wisdom of the elders. They make postings degrading the charater and personality of the more experienced people.

It is in the nature of humanity. Some of these trouble makers will always be around and spread their miserable mental attitude.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1 View Post
a lot of that is covered in the scale forum.

What's your take on a beginning builder heading into the scale forum? I know when I starte building I just figured there is nothing in there for me... or more likely my questions would have been seen as troublesome though have since learned that is not the case. The best anyone can do is when you see someone showing any interest building.... do what you have to to get thier feet wet, short of holding the knife in their hand

I think one of the more interesting things in building is coming up with ideas on your own... While this is certainly not new to us... I suggested to a friend he check out the bottom of two liter soda bottles for a cowl for his damaged ARF. He looked at me like I had two heads. I told him.. your local supermarket and fast food restaurant are a treasure trove of building supplies from bamboo skewers to lil plastic cups to yes... electric WWI electric ARF cowls! My alterior motive got him interested as he cut the cowl.. fitted it.. cut it some more.. painted it... attached it, etc... etc..and made it himself... baby steps !
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Closed Thread